PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
At one time, m San Fran was one at the most interesting cities in the world. It may still be if you don't mind walking through human feces to see it if southern California doesn't have the best climate in the world, show me what's better. California has lots of attributes and lots of issues. I've spent man months there, not my cup of tea. I don't hate hate it either.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Saskatchewan
Hard to spell, easy to draw. It's a rectangle for those that don't know.

Okay, I may have plagiarized that from a t-shirt I saw in Regina.

Did some phenomenal, and I mean phenomenal, goose hunting in a place called Preeceville many moons ago. Had some fantastic pizza at some place there too. Hard to get a decent bottle of booze though.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Saskatchewan: no smog, full seasons, real winters with real snow for real hardy men. The summers are hellish, though, but well, no place's perfect this side of Eternity.
I have to say I admire your passion for your area of the world. I just checked the climate averages for Regina, and anyone who can, with a straight face, say that the climate there is better than coastal southern California probably ought to work for the Saskatchewan Tourism Board. :LOL:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
if southern California doesn't have the best climate in the world,

San Diego is rated as having one of the best climates in the world. The Canary Islands have summer all year round also. There are a couple other cities and areas, Mombasa is listed but, no mention of smelly, hazy L.A. or other Southern California environs. I will grant that a home in the Coachella Valley is nice for the winter but, way too hot in the summer. It's tough, even in SoCal to find decent year round weather.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
San Diego is rated as having one of the best climates in the world. The Canary Islands have summer all year round also. There are a couple other cities and areas, Mombasa is listed but, no mention of smelly, hazy L.A. or other Southern California environs. I will grant that a home in the Coachella Valley is nice for the winter but, way too hot in the summer. It's tough, even in SoCal to find decent year round weather.
San Diego weather is really nice. Plus, The Brigantine has excellent fish tacos and creme brulee. I do prefer their Del Mar location though.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
WHERE IS A MOD WHEN WE NEED ONE!!!

Right? The last time I mentioned the poop on the streets of SF a mod got all pissy and erased my post...

I was last in San Francisco in the mid 90's. Chinatown was amazing and it was nice to drop by 2400 Fulton (Jefferson Airplane mansion) and see the Dead house on Ashbury St. Food was great in Chinatown, but ok elsewhere.

If SF, or California itself for that matter, is so great then why are there continual mass exodus events as each wave of ever more progressive laws are passed?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I love you Jesse, but pizza? Come on.
Actually, seriously. Any type from traditional neighborhood, like Casa Bianci in Eagle Rock, now approaching 70 years of operation, to high end Angeli, part of Joe Mozza's restaurant empire, to Zachary's in Oakland, to very Italian style pizza, representing regions from Naples to Milan, that have been springing up here. I ate a good selection of pizza in Italy when I backpacked across the country and got to know its very different regional approaches. NY had good pizza. We have mo' betta.

California, especially the San Gabriel Valley also kicks ass with Asian cuisine.

Pastrami may have had its origins in Brooklyn with the Roumanian delis. But nobody talks about NYC pastrami. There are, or were, a handful of delis knonw for their outstanding smoked meat, like Schwarz's in Montreal, and in that list there is Langers, which has been clogging the arteries and raising the blood pressure of Angelinos since 1946. NYC? Not even on the map. It's clearly more than edger can handle.

This whole discussion reminds me of the Judgement of Paris, when the French wine industry got handed its ass in a competition with California wines.

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I may suspect Arizona may offer even better climate conditions than South CA
for instance ,Yuma with the population of 97,000 in southwest corner of Arizona State , (in the sonoran desert)is the driest, the sunniest and the least humid,has the lowest frequency of precipitation,and has the highest number of the days per year 175- with a daily maximum temps of 90f(+32c) or higher,one of the sunniest city on earth
_wp-content_uploads_2019_05_yuma-arizona-real-estate.jpeg

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Reactions: chopper

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I may suspect Arizona may offer even better climate conditions than South CA
for instance ,Yuma with the population of 97,000 in southwest corner of Arizona State , (in the sonoran desert)is the driest, the sunniest and the least humid,has the lowest frequency of precipitation,and has the highest number of the days per year 175- with a daily maximum temps of 90f(+32c) or higher,one of the sunniest city on earth
View attachment 53930
You are correct that it is quite nice in Arizona, although anywhere in the Sonoran Desert is going to have very hot summers, sometimes brutally hot. In Yuma there are weeks in the summer during which the temp does not drop below 90 F, and it'll be 110-115 F during the days often in the middle of the summer. I live in Tucson, which is also in the Sonoran desert. It's quite a bit higher than Yuma, about 2300 ft in elevation here as opposed to 100 in Yuma (which is not too far from the Colorado River "Delta" and the Gulf of California). Tucson shares many climate characteristics with Yuma, but it's a little cooler here. However, we did see a 110 F high in September this year, as well as a 103 F high in October. Summer started early, stayed hot, and lingered into fall this year. Here in Tucson, for about 4 months it's HOT, for about 8 months it's absolutely glorious. In coastal SoCal, it doesn't get nearly as hot in the summer, so it would probably get my vote for a better climate than here, but it's hard to complain about the climate in Arizona while all my friends who live up north are shoveling and sliding about. I did the northern climate thing with 15 years in Minnesota, and I have to say this is definitely preferable.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
A fair amount of provincial thinking in this thread! I moved over 5 times before I was in highschool. So..no strong allegiance or dislike here for any place in particular. All states have their high points and low points. Further south u have more bugs and dangerous snakes. Further north, it's cold. The more ethnicity in the neighborhood, the better the food. Good points and bad points everywhere. In every state we can find some cool cats to hang with, and some territorial posers who think their locale makes them different. Fine. Settle in with your friends and be happy.

Half the people I work with are half a world away. They don't have the high class problems that many have here in the USA.

On topic, banning smoking in a shared building I get. As long as it's all smoking. Don't see why dope gets an out despite claims some make about odor lingering...or not. Private structure? Bugger off...my place is my place.

Anyhoo...peace and love folks.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
...and yet we have a whole thread of pipesmokers talking about NOT smoking in their own home (by choice). A weird dichotomy.

I am not sure why someone would want to live there, or even New York for that matter.
It's why people are fleeing both NY and Commiefornia San Fran and L.A. in large numbers.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 27, 2020
Comical to claim that a place with foul tasting tap water like Los Angeles, water being one of crucial factors to a good pizza dough, has a superior product to a one of big cities in the USA that actually has very good water: NYC. Anyways, it's a very small point considering Southern California will likely never rectify it's increasing lack of the substance, water I mean; not vapidness obviously.

Reactions: edger

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Actually, seriously. Any type from traditional neighborhood, like Casa Bianci in Eagle Rock, now approaching 70 years of operation, to high end Angeli, part of Joe Mozza's restaurant empire, to Zachary's in Oakland, to very Italian style pizza, representing regions from Naples to Milan, that have been springing up here. I ate a good selection of pizza in Italy when I backpacked across the country and got to know its very different regional approaches. NY had good pizza. We have mo' betta.

California, especially the San Gabriel Valley also kicks ass with Asian cuisine.

Pastrami may have had its origins in Brooklyn with the Roumanian delis. But nobody talks about NYC pastrami. There are, or were, a handful of delis knonw for their outstanding smoked meat, like Schwarz's in Montreal, and in that list there is Langers, which has been clogging the arteries and raising the blood pressure of Angelinos since 1946. NYC? Not even on the map. It's clearly more than edger can handle.

This whole discussion reminds me of the Judgement of Paris, when the French wine industry got handed its ass in a competition with California wines.
You bury us in verbose opinion and call it fact.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
I logged on this morning to 63 alerts. I was afraid to check out this thread, because I thought that I must have pissed some people off to get that many alerts, ha ha.

Comical to claim that...
It's comical to say that anyone has the absolute best anything. Have they really compared it to every podunk town's pizzeria across the country? I mean, really, there's some really fantastic cooking going on everywhere across the country. And, what the hell does "best" mean. I might just not like what a Californian thinks is great pizza. I definitely don't agree with what a Chicagoan thinks is great pizza.

You guys just all need to come down here to Alabama. Unless you can work remotely, you'll probably be taking a pay cut, but we still have lots of nice houses below 100,000. You guys can stay in my barn till you get on your feet. But, if you are still here in the Spring, I will need you to help out with planting.

We have the Briary, and a tobacco store of some sort in every little strip mall. if you are nice about it, most places will let you smoke your pipe. If you get bored you can drive down to some of the nicest beaches in the world. Or, spend a day hiking the mountains. If you are going to hunt my deer, just leave the dogs out of it. That's my pet peeve is people hunting deer with dogs. I've fired quite a few warning shots at guys cutting through my land with dogs. puffy

Oh, and don't piss in the ashtrays. You can just leave all of those big city habits behind you. This is civilization. puffy

Jan 27, 2020
I logged on this morning to 63 alerts. I was afraid to check out this thread, because I thought that I must have pissed some people off to get that many alerts, ha ha.

It's comical to say that anyone has the absolute best anything. Have they really compared it to every podunk town's pizzeria across the country? I mean, really, there's some really fantastic cooking going on everywhere across the country. And, what the hell does "best" mean. I might just not like what a Californian thinks is great pizza. I definitely don't agree with what a Chicagoan thinks is great pizza.

You guys just all need to come down here to Alabama. Unless you can work remotely, you'll probably be taking a pay cut, but we still have lots of nice houses below 100,000. You guys can stay in my barn till you get on your feet. But, if you are still here in the Spring, I will need you to help out with planting.

We have the Briary, and a tobacco store of some sort in every little strip mall. if you are nice about it, most places will let you smoke your pipe. If you get bored you can drive down to some of the nicest beaches in the world. Or, spend a day hiking the mountains. If you are going to hunt my deer, just leave the dogs out of it. That's my pet peeve is people hunting deer with dogs. I've fired quite a few warning shots at guys cutting through my land with dogs. puffy

Oh, and don't piss in the ashtrays. You can just leave all of those big city habits behind you. This is civilization. puffy

I've managed to find food, alcohol and people I like in every state I've visited. I'm not arrogant or perhaps small minded enough about where I live (of all things) to claim the place I currently reside has "the very best" of anything. My favorite pizza of all I've tried in the US is actually from Trenton, NJ and New Haven, CT.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Is it just apartments or homes too? Seems kind of classist to ban smoking in apartments but not houses. One the one hand I believe the smoking issue should be between the landlord and tenant, but I have little sympathy for people choose to live in SF and keep electing these officials.

Reactions: chopper and edger
Status
Not open for further replies.