PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm a New Yorker originally. You're still delusional!
An ex New Yorker, eh? You have my sympathies. Last time I was in NYC, shooting on location, my cameraman wanted me to take him to the Stage and the Carnegie. The only thing larger than their floppy sandwiches were the cockroaches crawling over them.
I have family in all Five Boroughs and on the Long Island. My father grew up in Hell's Kitchen. Don't kid me about New York. There's not a stray cat in NYC that's safe near a sausage factory. Pastrami and pizza you have in abundance, just not the best pastrami and pizza. If it's any consolation, you do have better bagels.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
An ex New Yorker, eh? You have my sympathies. Last time I was in NYC, shooting on location, my cameraman wanted me to take him to the Stage and the Carnegie. The only thing larger than their floppy sandwiches were the cockroaches crawling over them.
I have family in all Five Boroughs and on the Long Island. My father grew up in Hell's Kitchen. Don't kid me about New York. There's not a stray cat in NYC that's safe near a sausage factory. Pastrami and pizza you have in abundance, just not the best pastrami and pizza. If it's any consolation, you do have better bagels.
You just proved my point.

Reactions: sablebrush52

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've been lucky, having lived in NYC during John-John Lindsey's tenure as mayor, up through Ed Koch and left before The Little Creep held the office.

Lucky living in SF for ten years before the city starting hosting homeless parties.

Now I live well removed from the currently bloody mess, but it will get straightened out one day.

Mean time, all the remarks about my chosen state are largely unnecessary. Some come from ignorance, some from jealousy, some from righteousness, some from dispassionate reasoning.

Reactions: lightmybriar

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I love reading this thread, since I'm a native Californian (Los Angeles) who has been living in San Francisco for over 20 years.

One thing that's clear to me--simple broad brush stroke generalizations about a place, whether it's SF or Alabama, are limiting. Yes, there's homelessness, drug addiction here. Do keep in mind that I believe that there's always been a large proportion of folks, starting in the 60s, who ended up in SF but were from states other than CA. So it's not necessarily a home grown problem.

Prices are insane here for housing, no doubt. And in my view, that starts to impoverish the city experience, as there's only one socioeconomic class that can afford to live here. But in a capitalistic system, that says something about the demand to live in this city.

As far as the smoking ban, I think that the difference is that folks can go outside and smoke a cigarette, but they technically are not allowed to smoke marijuana outside (technically, of course). I think that if it can be shown that second hand smoke can have deleterious health effects on neighbors (and not just being annoying), then perhaps government does have a right to look at it. I'm actually not sure how I fall on this issue.

One thing I can say for sure--in every place I've been, I look for what's great about it, while recognizing its shortcomings. For example, I was really impressed with Birmingham AL and Lexington KY when I visited them--I'm sure that there aren't a lot of people here in SF who would say that.

Finally, once this whole pandemic thing is over, I invite anyone on this forum if they happen to be in SF to reach out to me for a drink, food, city walk, and yes, perhaps a pipe or two.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I visited SF once otherwise known as the Republic of Granola.

The sad part is, there's basically zero granola left in SF--it's too expensive. I'm by no means a hippie, but I enjoy living in places with people who are not like me. I would bet that a place like Oklahoma City has more hippie/alternative types than here, because they can afford to live there.

And because the Flaming Lips live there! An amazing band!

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
5. The San Francisco City Council is often at odds with its constituency. Case in point, when the City Council voted to ban public nudity in the Castro, a large group of residents showed up at the Council Chamber and collectively mooned the City Council. BTW, people still walk around the Castro in their birthday suits. Most of them really really shouldn't.
There's a rule that says here in SF that if you go nude and then sit down in one of the public plaza chairs or benches, you must carry and use a clean towel under you for hygenic reasons. It's known as the "skid mark rule".

I kid you not, sadly.

Jan 27, 2020
I've lived in NYC for around 20 years now, have never seen a single cockroach in my apartment and the last time in a restaurant was around 8 years ago at this place called Raoul's after a very heavy rain. I still managed to enjoy my wine and conversation, with strangers as often is the case in my beloved city. On the internet everyone seems to have a relative in NYC that somehow suffers all the misfortunes I've never encountered.

One of the few positive things about covid is many of the Cali trust fund kids flew west, hopefully for eternity.

Last edited:
Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Everyone makes such a big deal about California, but the states that have been the biggest drain on the Feds, have always been Alabama, Mississippi, New Mexico, Kentucky, West Virginia... etc... But, no one ever makes jokes about these states getting kicked out of the Union. Hell, each of those states I mentioned alone use more federal funds to keep them going than California. Kentucky is way more of a burden on the US than California. puffy

But, that'd probably be political.
Just curious where'd you get this information?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
For many years our Senator Stevens used to bring home from DC much more than the State sent to the Treasury. He played upon the guilt of the Senators over the way Alaska had been treated as a Territory. Once he had the seniority well ... he just demanded it. We miss him terribly.

An interesting piece of trivia which may coddle the balls of some here, the Alaska Highway, in Canada, maintainence is totally subsidized by the American taxpayer and al the money goes to Canadian companies. And to all of you who pay taxes, many thanks for your contribution!nnnnbdwpuffy

Status
Not open for further replies.