PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
I hate the smell of cigarettes. The stuff reeks and ghosts everyone who smokes and everything around them. Some cigars can be a bit much too. And although I don't smoke weed I like the smell of it. San Fran ? I've never been there and have no desire to go there. Every city seems to have its plus and minuses. I prefer the smaller remote country towns.

Of course the guy who likes to hang at bowling alleys with Donnie and the Dude likes the smell of pot. Jokes, and I'm sure you get that all the time.

- - -

But wow, this thread devolved quickly...

As someone who was born in CA and now lives in NY, I'll simply add the following:

Best bagels = St. Viateur, Montreal.

Jan 27, 2020
Of course the guy who likes to hang at bowling alleys with Donnie and the Dude likes the smell of pot. Jokes, and I'm sure you get that all the time.

- - -

But wow, this thread devolved quickly...

As someone who was born in CA and now lives in NY, I'll simply add the following:

Best bagels = St. Viateur, Montreal.

And Miles End of Montreal in Brooklyn has great pastrami but I prefer 2nd Avenue Deli and Russ and Daughters bagels for that matter.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and edger

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Now you're just making shit up.

Ha ha, I have no idea why threads always turn to food. Now I associate Ween with Spam, and LA with pizza that smells like well water. puffy
Threads turn to food because food is more interesting and/or essential than most other topics. And pizza is as partisan a topic as chili or barbeque.

It's interesting that you and others assume that all pizzerias use LA water. A lot of the transplanted NY pizza makers bring in water from NYC, which is really good. And there are others who import water from Italy, where they grew up, as well as the flour they use to make their dough, along with other ingredients. And I've no doubt that many just take it from the tap.
The different municipalities have their own waterworks, none of which means much to me as I drink bottled water. LA water might be sanitized, but it's not something I'd drink as it has a taste I don't like. Besides, no matter how clean the water may be when it leaves the waterworks in your town, it travels through miles of pipes, exposed to heaven knows what, before it gets to your tap.
And for all I know, the bottled water is crap, but it tastes just fine.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
California, especially the San Gabriel Valley also kicks ass with Asian cuisine.
Sablebrush, if you know the SGV, then I defer to you on all food opinions! It is quite honestly, one of the great areas in the United States for all different types of Asian food. My father, who is almost 85, will still drive an hour to go to some of his favorite restaurants there. Forget Chinatown, whether that’s in Los Angeles, New York, or San Francisco. Look for the areas like the Saint Gabriel Valley where middle-class Chinese or Vietnamese live and there’s where the best food is to be found.

For instance, in San Francisco, there’s some OK food in Chinatown, but you really need to get out to areas like the Richmond district for excellent food. I’m always happy to provide recommendations!

Reactions: sablebrush52
My town actually won an award for best water and water works in the nation. Our city council is set up with the mayor as CEO of the waterworks, and the elected officials as the board. Our city sells water to other cities. Natural gas also, but we haven’t won any awards for it.

I’m making some killer wine with it.

I don’t really have an opinion on pizza, since I don’t have a slice handy to compare. But, the beautiful sidewalks, parks, and quaint downtown area was paid for with water. I would say “tasty” water, but then that would sound ironic.

I don’t think we have many anti-smoking leases here. My daughters smoke and vape, and smoking was never an issue when going over leases.

I would think that smoking would be just as bad as the human smells that people leave behind; cooking oils, hair products, hair, dead skin, and all the other nasty smells you deal with in someone else’s house or apartment.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and chopper

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Don't knock it until you're tasted it.

Comical or not, it's not the 1970's any longer, when the food scene in LA was largely a joke. It hasn't been the 1970's for over 40 years and a lot has changed.
Quite simply, the food scene in Los Angeles, I mean the greater Los Angeles area, is probably one of the most interesting in the country. It’s got high end, low-cost, you name it. You can get anything in Los Angeles with perhaps the exception of great barbecue. I would to differ to other states for that!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sablebrush, if you know the SGV, then I defer to you on all food opinions! It is quite honestly, one of the great areas in the United States for all different types of Asian food. My father, who is almost 85, will still drive an hour to go to some of his favorite restaurants there. Forget Chinatown, whether that’s in Los Angeles, New York, or San Francisco. Look for the areas like the Saint Gabriel Valley where middle-class Chinese or Vietnamese live and there’s where the best food is to be found.

For instance, in San Francisco, there’s some OK food in Chinatown, but you really need to get out to areas like the Richmond district for excellent food. I’m always happy to provide recommendations!
The breath and variety of fare is astonishing. It's not just that there are restaurants representing different regions, there are eateries that serve dishes specific to some small town or village that you're not going to find anywhere outside of their native country. China Islamic Restaurant has some of the best lamb I've had, beautifully seasoned with star anise.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Quite simply, the food scene in Los Angeles, I mean the greater Los Angeles area, is probably one of the most interesting in the country. It’s got high end, low-cost, you name it. You can get anything in Los Angeles with perhaps the exception of great barbecue. I would to differ to other states for that!
Barbeque isn't great, and with the loss of Chili My Soul, there isn't much in the way of good chili to be found here, unless you make it yourself. LA does some things very well, and other things not at all. I love Indonesian food, but there's nothing here that I've found that really captures it.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Barbeque isn't great, and with the loss of Chili My Soul, there isn't much in the way of good chili to be found here, unless you make it yourself. LA does some things very well, and other things not at all. I love Indonesian food, but there's nothing here that I've found that really captures it.
You been to chili John’s in Burbank? Worth a shot just for the old time atmosphere.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You been to chili John’s in Burbank? Worth a shot just for the old time atmosphere.
I've gone to Chili John's a number of times, though it's been years since I last went. Maybe I should order some to go. It's a good very traditional Midwestern chili. I imprinted on Texan and New Mexican chili, so chili over pasta always seems a little off to me, even though it works.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I've gone to Chili John's a number of times, though it's been years since I last went. Maybe I should order some to go. It's a good very traditional Midwestern chili. I imprinted on Texan and New Mexican chili, so chili over pasta always seems a little off to me, even though it works.
Yeah, that does seem a bit unnecessary (the pasta). It didn't blow my mind but worth a stop in when I fly into Burbank airport to see my folks.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I just read through this entire thread...wow.

I can't comment on San Fran or the entire state of California because I've never been there.

I'm sure there's good and bad just like every other state including my home state of Illinois...which I hate. I hate living here and I'm stuck because my wife will never move away from our kids or grandsons.

My only hope is that all three of our kids and our grandsons move to a better state. The for sale sign in the front yard couldn't go up fast enough.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Food? for me ? Keep things simple. Steak, eggs, bacon, potatoes, soups, etc - REAL home-made stuff. I cook 99% of the time at home. I don't do fast food and IMO every restaurant is overpriced and sub-standard. And now with "Cov-Odd- 19?" I have zero interest in going into any bar/grill or restaurant.

The best food I've ever eaten was prepared by my Grandmother and Mom.

Jan 27, 2020
Food? for me ? Keep things simple. Steak, eggs, bacon, potatoes, soups, etc - REAL home-made stuff. I cook 99% of the time at home. I don't do fast food and IMO every restaurant is overpriced and sub-standard. And now with "Cov-Odd- 19?" I have zero interest in going into any bar/grill or restaurant.

Have you eaten hamburger sandwich?

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco

It seems like food and pipe tobacco have something in common--some folks on here seem to enjoy a small number of blends--they enjoy the familiarity and comfort of returning time and time again to what they gives them contentment.
Others like to enjoy a wide palette of tobaccos--for them, part of the enjoyment is the thrill of new experiences, of learning about tobaccos and developing a deeper understanding about all tobaccos.

And both are totally acceptable paths--I'm sure some people zig zag from one end of the spectrum with tobacco to the other over their pipe smoking journey!

BTW, lovely comment about your grandmother and mom! I wish I could say the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.