PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The Golden Gate Bridge is still pretty damned awe inspiring. Plus, you have the Disney Museum, where you learn that the Disneys were all pinkos!
Sable, when I was there, some kid on a school field trip jumped off the bridge on a dare. ?
The news said he splashed down right next to a guy that was surfing or something. If I remember correctly, I think the kid broke a leg or something, but was otherwise ok. It’s been quite a while, so I may be fuzzy on the details, but yeah... ?
This would’ve been around the same time that earthquake happened in Japan that caused the Fukushima reactor to fail. I remember because while I was there, people were worried that a tsunami would come across the Pacific and do some damage there.

Jan 27, 2020
Even the Tech warp bubble hasn't been able to completely destroy SF's charms, though they're a bit harder to find these days. BART is terrific, but the Muni is a petri dish. The City Council doesn't seem to be interested in dealing with homelessness, preferring to take largely symbolic actions, like the topic of this thread.
The Golden Gate Bridge is still pretty damned awe inspiring. Plus, you have the Disney Museum, where you learn that the Disneys were all pinkos! And there's the SF Silent Film Festival, held twice yearly at the Castro Theater.
It's a stellar walking town. Walking up to Chinatown from the Embarcadero, then through Chinatown into North Beach and working your way to Ghirardelli Square, then up over the hill to Grace Cathedral, is a pretty spectacular stroll. Walking up Russian Hill from the north is a pretty good workout.

In good part the Golden Gate bridge exists because of Trenton, NJ.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Information that will surprise some of the posters on this thread:

1. San Francisco is not the State of California, in any permutation you might be able to conjure up.

2. California is a very diverse state with diverse ideologies.

3. California is the 6th largest economy in the world.

3a. Corollary to 3: How's your state doing?

4. San Francisco has become the world's largest pissoire. The City Council should be focusing on that, but they're a bunch of shitheads.

5. The San Francisco City Council is often at odds with its constituency. Case in point, when the City Council voted to ban public nudity in the Castro, a large group of residents showed up at the Council Chamber and collectively mooned the City Council. BTW, people still walk around the Castro in their birthday suits. Most of them really really shouldn't.

6. The Bay Area has much better pizza than you have. Get over it.

6a. Corollary to 6: Los Angeles has the best pastrami in the US. NYC blows smoke.

7. Cannabis and tobacco are different substances. Comparing apples to oranges is pointless, not to say witless.
My state doesn’t have Gavin Newsom, so there’s that...?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Kristi Noem? According to official numbers, 84,000 cases and about 1000 deaths.
Uh uh. Gotta go by the percentages of population and the rate of increase over the past couple of weeks to get an actual picture. BTW, Iowa isn't doing so well either. Death figures lag by about 3 weeks.

And while death rates sell newspapers, they're not the whole story by a long shot. Do some reading on the percentage who become "long haulers" as well as those who develop scarring on their organs, even though they had a "mild" case. Reality is a bitch.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, you believe the opposite?
To your statement "There's a certain callousness to how those tech companies view the communities they exist in, big surprise." I don't believe in the exact opposite, but that there's a mix of local social responsibility actions by a wide variety of tech companies. Some good, some bad, some indifferent.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Uh uh. Gotta go by the percentages of population and the rate of increase over the past couple of weeks to get an actual picture. BTW, Iowa isn't doing so well either. Death figures lag by about 3 weeks.

And while death rates sell newspapers, they're not the whole story by a long shot. Do some reading on the percentage who become "long haulers" as well as those who develop scarring on their organs, even though they had a "mild" case. Reality is a bitch.
I agree with everything that you’re saying, but it is a thin sliver of any person’s governance. If I was to go off just COVID for my assessment, many governors would be in jail right now, Cuomo being at the head of the list. Think nursing homes. Enough politics for now or we’ll get this thread shut down. ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I agree with everything that you’re saying, but it is a thin sliver of any person’s governance. If I was to go off just COVID for my assessment, many governors would be in jail right now, Cuomo being at the head of the list. Think nursing homes. Enough politics for now or we’ll get this thread shut down. ?
Agree on both points. Nuff said.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Yeah, all those multi billionaires are Communists...
Thanks for the QAnon cult psychobabble. Not much to be proud of, getting sucked into pure crap like that.
Hey, I was fully aware I'd get bitten for that but I don't really care. I wouldn't have even made the comment if not for your condescending "how's your state doing" comment. And yes, absolutely, Jack Dorsey and Zuckerberg are disgusting communist that shit on the constitution and really don't give a damn if I get suspended for saying that.

Status
Not open for further replies.