PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've lived in a few apartments that had smokers next door and the smoke would get in and hang out and just stand there. I never personally minded that much but I don't have children or any common medical conditions that would make that more then just a yucky. And in a place like san fran where real estate is at an extra premium people get little apartments and if you get the lucky of being between two smokers you could not buy a pack and still get your nicotine with that awesome fog of cigarette smoke. And if you can't imagine that being a problem just realize you could end up living next to someone that chain smokes Captain Black Grape or whatever blend you can't stand. Or that old guy that somehow smoked cigars that he chomped on for hours giving that yummy soggy cigar smell :)
I lived in a large east coast city for ten years, mostly in apartments in very old buildings that were once single-family dwellings. I could always smell and hear whatever my neighbors were doing. When I got tired of it, I didn’t whine about it. I moved out of the city. But there are a lot of people who like being controlled. They are uneasy about being self dependent, uncomfortable determining their own fate. If this is what San Franciscans voted for, then they deserve every bit of it. I have no dog in their fight.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I lived in a large east coast city for ten years, mostly in apartments in very old buildings that were once single-family dwellings. I could always smell and hear whatever my neighbors were doing. When I got tired of it, I didn’t whine about it. I moved out of the city. But there are a lot of people who like being controlled. They are uneasy about being self dependent, uncomfortable determining their own fate. If this is what San Franciscans voted for, then they deserve every bit of it. I have no dog in their fight.
I wonder how much of this San Franciscans actually voted for. I suspect that the omission for weed has to do with two things. Not all pot use is recreational, some use it to blunt nausea caused by chemo and other treatments, and the other aspect is that smoking dope in public is not allowed.
It's been a while since I've been in San Francisco, but I never once had anyone give me any kind of guff for smoking a pipe in public. I've sat at a bench in Washington Square near St Peter and Paul in North Beach with police strolling past and no request to put it out.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
The sad part is, there's basically zero granola left in SF--it's too expensive. I'm by no means a hippie, but I enjoy living in places with people who are not like me. I would bet that a place like Oklahoma City has more hippie/alternative types than here, because they can afford to live there.

And because the Flaming Lips live there! An amazing band!
I lived there for 13 years, the art area is called the Paseo district. Pretty good bbq in the area as well!

Reactions: hairvise
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Reading through this thread, it's pretty obvious that it's been a while since the majority of you have signed a lease for an apartment.

Banning tobacco smoking, or smoking of any kind in apartments makes no difference at all, for the simple reason that there are no landlords left who allow smoking in their rental units. Cannabis or tobacco, it doesn't matter. I live in Pennsylvania, previously AZ, and have had several apartments from several different landlords, and it was always an eviction if you get caught smoking anything inside. I have my MMJ card in PA, and it's specifically stated in my lease that I can't even vape inside. My understanding is this is the case mostly because any smoke will wreak havoc on HVAC systems, which my apartment doesn't even have. Nor do I have carpets or drapes. It's just standard,

I haven't read through the new laws in detail, but I would also assume that just because cannabis smoking indoors is legal, it doesn't mean landlords can't still prohibit cannabis smoking if they so choose. I would also assume that this doesn't apply in any way to a home that you own and are not renting.

So since your landlord can tell you what you can and can't do in your home, your government should be able as well...

Ok sure I guess it makes sense.. But how did we ever get to the point where that's the case?

Well... It's hopeless and the whole shit's a lost cause. If you don't believe me, just read through this thread and that other God awful related thread.

Keep it up, just go ahead.. soon you'll be putting barbie dolls together in your brown suit.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
3. California is the 6th largest economy in the world.

Tourism, silicon valley communist shitheads, and Hollywood pedophiles. Not a whole lot to be proud of there. As for the pizza, since I live in the Scranton area of Pa where most of us are 3rd generation Italian immigrants, I'll take my chances.

Reactions: chopper

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
So since your landlord can tell you what you can and can't do in your home, your government should be able as well...
I’m not quite sure if you are being sarcastic here or not, since I think I missed the train on almost everything you’re saying, but....
There’s a bit of a difference between a contract between two consenting parties and government regulations, which are (ostensibly) bound by the Constitution.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I’m not quite sure if you are being sarcastic here or not, since I think I missed the train on almost everything you’re saying, but....
There’s a bit of a difference between a contract between two consenting parties and government regulations, which are (ostensibly) bound by the Constitution.

Yes, yes. Sarcasm is what I was shooting for.. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

What I mean is.. today's logic is not what it was, even a couple years ago.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
And for all I know, the bottled water is crap, but it tastes just fine.
In the early 90’s, I lived in Hightstown, NJ for several years. Most of you have never heard of the place before, but if you drink Dasani bottled water, that’s where it comes from. Municipal tap water, dechlorinated, bottled and sold as something special. It’s the same for most bottled water, unless they list a specific source, but even then, it’s probably BS.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Tourism, silicon valley communist shitheads, and Hollywood pedophiles. Not a whole lot to be proud of there. As for the pizza, since I live in the Scranton area of Pa where most of us are 3rd generation Italian immigrants, I'll take my chances.

Yeah, all those multi billionaires are Communists...
Thanks for the QAnon cult psychobabble. Not much to be proud of, getting sucked into pure crap like that.

Jan 27, 2020
I wouldn’t be surprised, but what makes you say that? And why in SF? It’s almost all tech nerds here at this point!

He cares more about money than music at this point. What destroyed SF is tech which I'm sure you know, haven't followed all of the conversation now, but all those companies trying to cram their campuses into an area which do to a combination of factors (such as geography) didn't have enough housing or space to build housing for all the highly paid workers not even mentioning the service people and such they depend on. You hear the stories of Uber drivers who work in SF sleeping in their cars as they live 3hrs away. There's a certain callousness to how those tech companies view the communities they exist in, big surprise.

Reactions: sablebrush52

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
He cares more about money than music at this point. What destroyed SF is tech which I'm sure you know, haven't followed all of the conversation now, but all those companies trying to cram their campuses into an area which do to a combination of factors (such as geography) didn't have enough housing or space to build housing for all the highly paid workers not even mentioning the service people and such they depend on. You hear the stories of Uber drivers who work in SF sleeping in their cars as they live 3hrs away. There's a certain callousness to how those tech companies view the communities they exist in, big surprise.
I do have to agree with all of this. SF can feel like some “third world” cities at times where crushing poverty lays cheek by jowl with obscene amounts of wealth. I wouldn’t move here now, unless I was a twenty something techie who wants to make his or her pot of gold.

Great place to visit though, and our kids love it here because it allows for such independence— the city is small and the transport system is decent enough for them to get around without depending on their parents all the time.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Great place to visit though, and our kids love it here because it allows for such independence— the city is small and the transport system is decent enough for them to get around without depending on their parents all the time.
Even the Tech warp bubble hasn't been able to completely destroy SF's charms, though they're a bit harder to find these days. BART is terrific, but the Muni is a petri dish. The City Council doesn't seem to be interested in dealing with homelessness, preferring to take largely symbolic actions, like the topic of this thread.
The Golden Gate Bridge is still pretty damned awe inspiring. Plus, you have the Disney Museum, where you learn that the Disneys were all pinkos! And there's the SF Silent Film Festival, held twice yearly at the Castro Theater.
It's a stellar walking town. Walking up to Chinatown from the Embarcadero, then through Chinatown into North Beach and working your way to Ghirardelli Square, then up over the hill to Grace Cathedral, is a pretty spectacular stroll. Walking up Russian Hill from the north is a pretty good workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.