PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
This afternoon my friend obtained a good second hand copy of Ronni Lundy's
Shuck Beans, Stack cakes, and Honest Fried Chicken about Southern Country cooking.
I feel like surprising her with a real authentic Cajun cookbook.
But I need advice , so please help. Please bear in mind we live in the Netherlands :)
I got you, my man (links to a cook book):

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Phenomenal book , good reviews on Goodreads.com ( my always to go for ) too.
Now where to buy it this end of the world :)
The Encyclopedia of Cajun & Creole Cuisine is great to thumb through, with both recipes and history of Louisiana cooking. It's a large book and weighs like 10 pounds. It has classic dishes and some unique offerings.

I was fearful you might not be able to get the book, so I gave the Amazon link hoping they could get it to you. Getting the ingredients may be another battle.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
The Encyclopedia of Cajun & Creole Cuisine is great to thumb through, with both recipes and history of Louisiana cooking. It's a large book and weighs like 10 pounds. It has classic dishes and some unique offerings.

I was fearful you might not be able to get the book, so I gave the Amazon link hoping they could get it to you. Getting the ingredients may be another battle.

For which I'm most grateful sir. Amazon.nl offers it at a top price.
Will call my local book supplier next monday, they're always in for a good laugh.
My friend is also an amateur food historian of sorts, she'll be thrilled to study it.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

We may be tiny, but when it comes to diversity we are not to be trifled with. Almost any cuisine in the world is represented here :)

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Treated myself to a pair of Grimsby kippers today, lovely and juicy....not had them in years. Lucky I bought 2 packs....can have them again tomorrow :).

Do they have kippers in the US?

Regards,

Jay.
Yes, the States has kippers and herring (along with sardines in various sauces).

I prefer mine on crackers. Maybe with raw onion and a splash of hot sauce if feeling fancy.

I'm also a fan of puttanesca with sardines for an extra punch. Something about capers, kalamata olives, and sardines that hits all the flavor notes.