PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I didn’t make up the Rules of Forum Etiquette, it is just simply the respect we show and share with others is all.

It’s never a question of who likes or dislikes, it’s simply about understanding that everyone is different, with the differences always possibly being much greater in a world wide community with people from all around the world, from different walks of life and backgrounds.

This wasn’t a personal reply over my feelings.

I was only sharing observations of what I have seen, in regards to his postings, and sharing, why the reasons might be, how others might feel in regards to the posts, and I was expressing not following a certain level of Forum Etiquette.

Ultimately the level in which Forum Etiquette is imposed, depends on the staff’s view points on it. But any public social platform you visit, will impose Online Etiquette to some extent or another, that is just the facts in cyberspace.
Yeah, I think Kevin & The Mods* do a great job here. Beyond excellent. Even though I disagree with their actions sometimes, it's really my job to STFU and chalk it up to the price of a well-moderated forum that is, as you infer, balancing the long-term health of the forum, the broad demographics of visitors here, and the short-term frivolities of the members.

*My favorite girl band!

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Yeah, I think Kevin & The Mods* do a great job here. Beyond excellent. Even though I disagree with their actions sometimes, it's really my job to STFU and chalk it up the price of a well-moderated forum that is, as you infer, balancing the long-term health of the forum, the broad demographics of visitors here, and the short-term frivolities of the members.

*My favorite girl band!

I’ve had my own forum and online communities, it is certainly a big balancing act to peform.

Reactions: woodsroad

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Ted’s Tobacco lists premium pipe tobacco, which is all I ordered online and smoked until a week or so ago, and under Smoking Tobacco lists about thirty different brands of the shag that lines the walls of the cheap smoke shops.

And none of those thirty are Daighters and Ryan and Cornel and Diehl or Sail or the stuff we’ve heard of before.

Of those thirty brands each one likely has Red, Blue, Green, Yellow and Silver, a few with Turkish.

There are over a full gross of choices of cheap pipe tobacco.

It’s fashionable to bad mouth America, and her government, and the old men in the barbershop will tell you our best days are in the past.

And ever since I left home to go to college I’ve met folks who seem to be above our cheeseburgers and fries, our Chevrolets and Fords, and maintain that the imports are better, than the things our nation builds.

But I live in an America where a hobo can pick a flavor of pipe tobacco each day for months and months on end, and never smoke the same blend.

When I was a kid did you like Our Advertiser or Country Gentleman or Bull Durham, were the choices.

America, does cheap things the best!

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I won't lie, Briar's posts have a lot of the time confused the f**k out of me in the way they can corkscrew so wildly off topic. I always assumed the short comings were my own, so glad I am not the only who comes away feeling perplexed after reading his posts. One thing I will say though,is that he speaks with precision when speaking in his capacity as a solicitor, and in so far as that goes it is clear he does a lot of good fighting for the poor and dispossesed. Someone said Briar for President, well, he has my vote (if I had one of course lol).

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
When I was working, we had a gentleman named Brad. He didn't believe in Dinosaurs, argued that Impressionism was the highest form of art, and the earth was less than 5000 years old. He also believed a lot of other things as well. At lunch, my friends and I would often feign an argument with him just to watch him take off. It was like winding up a clock. It didn't take much, and it was highly entertaining. Twenty years later we still talk about Brad. I enjoyed Brad's discussions, I liked Brad as a person, and we always invited him on outings, but Brad was full of sh$t. From a certain point of view, it might have looked like we were picking on him. We weren't. Brad was highly entertaining and if he thought you were seriously arguing with him, he was in heaven.

Mr. Lee reminds me of Brad, as well as Mr. Haney, Roy Clark, and Matlock.

I understand what he is really wanting to say - and I agree with him 100%, but what would be the fun in that?

Translated:

Some cheap tobacco hits all the marks Mr. Lee is looking for in a tobacco -and because it is cheap (and he likes cheap, except for shoes and suits) its tops in his notebook. Why pay more for something that won't make you any more happier?

Pipes by Lee smoked fairly good and they were fairly cheap although at one time they weren't. Anything that actually works just as well as something others consider more valuable is tops in his book. Why get a Rolex when an Orient will do just as well.

Marksman pipes to tend to smoke fairly good. Although ugly, if you strip the finish off them and wax them up with oil and bees wax, they color up quickly. Other pipes don't color up as well. That makes them tops in his book.

Really, when he says that whatever he is talking about is the best, he really means it has good value, is reliable, and it trips his trigger.

How can you argue or disagree with that?

Hyperbole is the language of the Hills. It just is. Midwesterners are notorious for being an idiomatic people who are drawn to metaphors, idioms, hyperbole, personification, tall tales, and just out right fish tales.

Of course not all midwesterners are that way... but who cares...hyperbole be damned, they all are, LOL.

But sometimes, even a broken hillbilly broken clock is right at least once during the day, and sometimes at night as well.

Mr. Lee... have you gotten your fill yet? LOL

telescopes

Someone said Briar for President, well, he has my vote (if I had one of course lol).
You might want to ask him to share his views on politics before you pull that lever. I think you might be surprised. But that's for him to share and given this forum doesn't promote personal political beliefs, you might need him to PM you first.

Reactions: HeavyLeadBelly

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
You might want to ask him to share his views on politics before you pull that lever. I think you might be surprised. But that's for him to share and given this forum doesn't promote personal political beliefs, you might need him to PM you first.
Oh! Seems I've made a terrible blunder. If this were the Elimination Game thread it would be a -2 for Briar then lol

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Hyperbole is the language of the Hills. It just is. Midwesterners are notorious for being an idiomatic people who are drawn to metaphors, idioms, hyperbole, personification, tall tales, and just out right fish tales.
Same as in Ireland. Ask a fella how the weather is and you'll get tales of mist morns where the fields glowed faintly while the fair folk danced around their toad stools. He swears he seen it.

telescopes

I'm second generation out of the mountains, no hillbilly is like that. This is more like Foghorn Leghorn or Pipe Cottage.
To an extent I agree as I see the majority of the folks are a bit more ... homogenized..., except down along the Arkansas/Missouri border, I do meet A LOT of folks who really are just like that. It might be the folks my dad is drawn to or it might be that a lot of those folks are drawn to my dad. But be that as it may, I meet em. I get a kick out of them anyway and enjoy meeting up with them for Wednesday coffee at the breakfast joints.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I'm second generation out of the mountains, no hillbilly is like that. This is more like Foghorn Leghorn or Pipe Cottage.

My mother was born and bred a country Springfield Tennessee woman, and her father a tobacco farmer for Philip Morris.

My grandfather was certainly a story teller, but short and to the point and quite eloquent, as a fine country gentleman he was.

Reactions: telescopes