PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
At least some of it specifically says that it isn’t reconstituted. Sutliff, for example, manufactures the Super Value line. I’ve seen Peter Stokkebye shag sold in RYO shops, too.

We’ll see what’s what when my RYO hoard arrives!
The brands made by pipe tobacco companies are actual crossover blends. Stokkebye Norwegian is fantastic either way.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Those bags are labeled pipe tobacco in cigarette stores to avoid being taxed as cigarette tobacco in the US. It is in fact RYO tobacco though.
Yep this is 100% true. Tobacco is tobacco though and the stuff CAN be smoked in a pipe. Is it as good as premium blends? No. Is it as bad as say a Marlboro cigarette? Probably not, but I can’t speak on this specific blend as I’ve never had it. I will say that D&R three sails is just as enjoyable in a pipe as it is in a cigarette, but I haven’t had it since Mark sold the company. Two timer wasn’t quite a shag so it was always better in a pipe for me. When Mark was sourcing the tobaccos he was scrupulous with what he selected so D&R is probably more of an outlier than the norm. Still though, that tobacco was/is around $20/lb and very high quality. I would probably smoke D&R Three Sails over Capstan but I also happen to not like Capstan all that much.

I have some hippie friends out here in southern Oregon that are into going to music festivals and gatherings of the hippie sort. There are people there that ‘gift’ hand rolled cigarettes by the thousand and they are almost always rolled with D&R Three Sails, according to some of the aforementioned hippies.

More of those bulk bags gets rolled into cigarettes than stuffed into pipes and it sold as such to avoid taxes. That’s just a fact.

I’ve also forgotten my pouch at home a few times when hanging out with friends and filled my pipe with a bit of American Spirit RYO for some nicotine. Pegasus it was not but it was enjoyable enough.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The brands made by pipe tobacco companies are actual crossover blends. Stokkebye Norwegian is fantastic either way.
Right. So there is a commonality in places, like a big Venn Diagram. I don't find it inconceivable that there is good, real tobacco sold as RYO. How it is taxed, and what people's intentions are for buying it is inconsequential as for as it's quality and smokeability is concerned.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I really can't wait to hear your reviews. Who said this thread was boring?lol
Anyone living within driving distance of Bethlehem, PA is welcome to join the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club at The Wooden Match for the taste test. I'll be out of town for work for this month's get-together, so the taste test will be in March, if my work schedule allows.
Please see our Facebook page for more info, as our meeting days are subject to change.

IMG_6420_edit.jpg

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Anyone living within driving distance of Bethlehem, PA is welcome to join the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club at The Wooden Match for the taste test. I'll be out of town for work for this month's get-together, so the taste test will be in March, if my work schedule allows.
Please see our Facebook page for more info, as our meeting days are subject to change.

View attachment 285303
Wow this is going to be tested at a pipe club. I think we are going to get as near as we can to an objective answer on the matter.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
People have been giving me shit about my hillbilly ways since I was hatched one half mile South of Bug Tussle, a very real place but home of the fictional Beverley Hillbillies.

But we are just naturally curious.

Because you are not showing the understanding that you are on a World Wide Forum, with members from all around the world, from different walks of life.

And it’s important to try and follow a certain level of Forum Etiquette.

But when you are making posts, or even replying to posts, many times you go on extreme long winded conversations about various topics, which really have nothing to do with the Topics, as if they do, and then many times, trying to enter twine them in, as if they do.

It’s nice to share stories, from time to time, brief and getting to the points, but you have to realize this is a Community for Pipes.

Maybe your problem, is your inquisitive nature is on Overdrive, while many others are on Cruise Control.

You just seriously need to tone it down, and for a man that seems to enjoy learning, I posted a link at ‘Let Me Google That’, in regards to Forum Etiquette. I highly implore you to become an expert on the subject matter, and there are certainly others who could use a better understanding of this too around here, especially in regards to Bantering.

Click, tap this link... ;)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Because you are not showing the understanding that you are on a World Wide Forum, with members from all around the world, from different walks of life.

But when you are making posts, or even replying to posts, many times you go on extreme long winded conversations about various topics, which really have nothing to do with the Topics, as if they do, and then many times, trying to enter twine them in, as if they do.

It’s nice to share stories, from time to time, brief and getting to the points, but you have to realize this is a Community for Pipes.

Maybe your problem, is your inquisitive nature is on Overdrive, while many others are on Cruise Control.

You just seriously need to tone it down, and for a man that seems to enjoy learning, I posted a link at ‘Let Me Google That’, in regards to Forum Etiquette. I highly implore you to become an expert on the subject matter, and there are certainly others who could use a better understanding of this too around here, especially in regards to Bantering.

Meh.
I really Briar Lee and his posts.

I don't feel the need to agree with, or accept, anything he says. Nor do I need to get upset if he says something that triggers cognitive dissonance. Same goes for you or anyone else here. I like what you contribute, even (and especially) if we can discuss/argue about it for a while. It's especially interesting if I both agree AND disagree with someone. Makes me question my own presuppositions.

What I don't like is people telling me that I need to conform to some convoluted Terms of Conduct, written by a socially inept man-child in his mother's basement.

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Meh.

I don't feel the need to agree with, or accept, anything he says. Nor do I need to get upset if he says something that triggers cognitive dissonance. Same goes for you or anyone else here. I like what you contribute, even (and especially) if we can discuss/argue about it for a while. It's especially interesting if I both agree AND disagree with someone. Makes me question my own presuppositions.

What I don't like is people telling me that I need to conform to some convoluted Terms of Conduct, written by a socially inept man-child in his mother's basement.
02f54ef136cc600851725d464e44f03b_w200.gif

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Meh.

I didn’t make up the Rules of Forum Etiquette, it is just simply the respect we show and share with others is all.

It’s never a question of who likes or dislikes, it’s simply about understanding that everyone is different, with the differences always possibly being much greater in a world wide community with people from all around the world, from different walks of life and backgrounds.

This wasn’t a personal reply over my feelings.

I was only sharing observations of what I have seen, in regards to his postings, and sharing, why the reasons might be, how others might feel in regards to the posts, and I was expressing not following a certain level of Forum Etiquette.

Ultimately the level in which Forum Etiquette is imposed, depends on the staff’s view points on it. But any public social platform you visit, will impose Online Etiquette to some extent or another, that is just the facts in cyberspace.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011

Everything you just said about him is what everyone on this forum does.
Most don’t do it as well.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Everything you just said about him is what everyone on this forum does.
Most don’t do it as well.

I’ve personally never seen anyone here go on with very long story telling, on subject matter, that didn’t relate to the topic, and then somewhere in the posting finds it’s way inter twined into it.

Of course a lot of people here share, chat and talk, just not to the extent he does.

I want to make it clear, when he felt like people were giving him shit about his hillbilly ways, I was only sharing about Forum Etiquette as to possible reasons for this, with a lot of the long winded conversations.

This has nothing to do with my personal feelings, I’m only sharing observations and giving him information to consider is all.