Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Personally I think he would be an absolute hoot if he was elected to the Supreme Court - probably a lot better than one or two of the current Justices!
image.jpeg

Be careful there boys... me thinks you are presuming a mite too much. Unless of course, George McGovern and Thomas Eagleton come to mind. And nothing wrong with that either. Personally, given that my former student from Missouri, Eric Schmitt is now the senator from Missouri and will be running for president in the next eight years, sure, I'll pull the lever for fellow Missourian, Van from California, MO. It's high time we have another Harry S Truman.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Personally I think he would be an absolute hoot if he was elected to the Supreme Court - probably a lot better than one or two of the current Justices!
He’d be epic at filibustering. I’d totally tune into CSPAN to hear briar Lee talk about rural life in Missouri for 4 hours when they’re supposed to be voting on abortion rights.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
View attachment 285411

Be careful there boys... me thinks you are presuming a mite too much. Unless of course, George McGovern and Thomas Eagleton come to mind. And nothing wrong with that either. Personally, given that my former student from Missouri, Eric Schmitt is now the senator from Missouri and will be running for president in the next eight years, sure, I'll pull the lever for fellow Missourian, Van from California, MO. It's high time we have another Harry S Truman.
IMG_0696.gif

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I love how this has gone from talking about RYO tobaccos to Supreme Court Justices to who would you nuke 1st if given the nuclear football. 🤣🤣🤣
Hahaha such is the case with many a thread here. It’s like Mitch Hedberg said about dreams:

“There I am in my comfortable bed, and next thing you know I have to build a go-kart with my ex-landlord”

telescopes

I suggested to Van that he might try adding Sutliff Frosty Mint to some of that Dime Store tobacco. I use a 1:10 ratio with the FM being the 1 part. Because these blends are fairly mild, a touch of frosty mint makes them taste fairly Kool. But be careful, you soon develop a taste for Colt 45. If you age the mixture, I recommend 1:7.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I suggested to Van that he might try adding Sutliff Frosty Mint to some of that Dime Store tobacco. I use a 1:10 ratio with the FM being the 1 part. Because these blends are fairly mild, a touch of frosty mint makes them taste fairly Kool. But be careful, you soon develop a taste for Colt 45. If you age the mixture, I recommend 1:7.
Oh, you can do that? I just take the tobacco from a Newport and blend it in with Borkum Riff for my 40oz sessions….

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Still today in the dairy region of the Ozarks the FFA has Dairy Products judging teams.

In 1973 me, Johnny and William swept all before us at Miami Oklahoma and Springfield and then went to state contest at Columbia Missouri.

William gave me shit about smoking and I beat his ass anyway. Johnny and I got blue ribbons and big medals for our jackets and not William. We placed 3rd and would have won, if not for William.

Milk is not all the same, nor cottage cheese.

There are about nine different faults it can have and even the best is graded 5-9, there is no 10, in Missouri FFA competitions.

My father sold 9-10 grade, perfect milk. His secret was that one Guernsey that was usually the hind cow of 25.

9-10 was school lunch grade, for those little cartons. Each year the school boards had blind taste testing before the contracts were awarded.

I would have made a good milk inspector, you know?

There’s boys in Durham North Carolina every bit as good of tobacco inspectors.

Last edited:

telescopes

Still today in the dairy region of the Ozarks the FFA has Dairy Products judging teams.

In 1973 me, Johnny and William swept all before us at Miami Oklahoma and Springfield and then went to state contest at Columbia Missouri.

William gave me shit about smoking and I beat his ass anyway. Johnny and I got blue ribbons and big medals for our jackets and not William. We placed 3rd and would have won, if not for William.

There are about nine different faults it can have and even the best is graded 5-9, there is no 10, in Missouri FFA competitions.

My father sold 9-10 grade, perfect milk. His secret was that one Guernsey that was usually the hind cow of 25.

9-10 was school lunch grade, for those little cartons. Each year the school boards had blind taste testing before the contracts were awarded.

One of the great things about gardening in the desert is that while the soil is initially very sandy, with just a little patience, water, and fertilizer, plants can quickly turn the sand into a rich organic - but sandy - soil that seems to be able to grow almost anything.

In Missouri, we lived next to a seven acre lake. Our garden always produced very well and our apple and pear trees seem to be always produce quality fruit in abundance. In the evenings, I would walk along the shoreline with my fly rod and catch two to three pound bass. But I always tossed them back in. Who knew what toxins that fish were swimming in. Some people ate them, but I never did. I often wonder what became of those people.

But in the desert, the soil is whatever you put into it and fortunately for us, our garden is growing on virgin sand that hasn't seen the potting of a plant in perhaps over a few hundred thousand years.

Right now we are harvesting tomatoes . That makes me think about Cherokees. You know, they liked to smoke too.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

In 1915 a man named Frank Glaser came to Alaska arriving in the small coastal town of Valdez. Frank then tied up his bootstraps, grabbed his pack frame, and proceeded to walk the 363 miles from Valdez to the interior's bustling hub of Fairbanks. Frank was a man who liked a good walk. Over the next 4 decades, Frank worked as a Market Hunter, chasing Dall Sheep through the hills to help feed railroad employees, a trapper, even at one point owning a small roadhouse.

But he is perhaps best known as a man who spent considerable time hunting wolves, and even cross breeding several of them with his sled dogs. He got to know local wolf populations like the back of his hand, and survived many a dangerous encounter with them, bears, and wildlife of all kinds. When some of those encounters ended up being a little too close for comfort, Frank couldn't help but stuff a big wad of snuff into his lip to relax the nerves and get back to work.

Frank probably enjoyed a pipe or two as well. He definitely kept his nuts and bolts in an old tobacco can and he carried a plug or twist, as they do not spill when dropped like a ribbon cut does. That plug would have been exactly like Dan Salty Dogs.