PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gandalf The Grey

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2024
Origanally from Oxford, England
Many moons ago, I used to buy the cheapest pipe weed I could find. It wasn't because of I liked it, min you, but because I was destitute. I grew up poor and we enjoyed the simple things. Now that the moons have passed into my later years, I have found a small fortune thanks to an eccentric uncle whom we all thought poor. The man sat on his wealth like a dragon and didn't let others in the family know.

As luck would have it, I was very close to him. We would enjoy our evenings in the garden smoking a pipe. He would often chastise me about my choice of roll your own pipe weed. He would give me a tin of Dunhill occasionally. When he passed he left only me his fortune. I have been living comfortably on it for a while now, never having to work. I completed school and university at his behest. With this fortune I decided to buy premium pipe weed. The difference is astronomical. I will never return to that bitter and dry abomination that is roll your own.

I smoked a bowl of Buoy 🛟. The first impressions are below.

The closest comparison I can think off in terms of the smoking experience is Daughters & Ryan Windsail Platinum. It is slightly bitter, and somewhat harsh in your throat.

When smoked really slowly though, it is quite a good smoke, and even with some complexity. Although some of the notes are like a cigarette.

The only other RYO I have smoked is Jester, which was unsmokable. This one is much better than Jester about similar to Daughters & Ryan in quality. (Windsail as mentioned)

I can definitely live with Buoy, and enjoy on its own merit. It needs to grow up a lot though to be top tier Virginia.

Of course this is only the first bowl. I will report back if it behaves significantly differently when I finish the bag.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Do you have a preference list for who gets nuked first?
Yes

We need to nuke bug tussle.
Bug Tussle, MO isn’t to be found on any map other than the conjectures of a certain lawyer from California, MO. And I emphasize the word California. It is found in a few other states, but not Missouri.

However, Blue Eye, MO is a real place. It is not far from Dogpatch USA and Silver Dollar City. My mother is buried in the Blue Eye Cemetery. The Yokums live a few miles up the road. Sadie Hawkins came from this area and so did all her kin.

Jim Baker of Jim and Tammy Faye fame lives and still broadcasts from his studios in Blue Eye. He is selling Jesus and dry food meals that can be reconstituted with boiling water. There is nothing to make up when it comes to Blue Eye. When i worked with the folks at the Missouri State Education Department, they would always ask, “What will the folks in Blue Eye think about this regulation?”

So if we are going to nuke some place, lets nuke Bug Tussel, MO. No one will het hurt and the only wound will be to the imaginary pride of no one who really lives there, unlike Blue Eye which has all the qualities and spirit of Bug Tussel and actually exists.

The folks there are real and the name of their city can be found on their tax records. There is no need to create any hyperbole about their lives to make a point about the Will Ole the Wisp that haunts the cobwebs that hang over the dry rotted door that shuts out the light from an old hurricane lamp that was turned off years ago.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA

The closest comparison I can think off in terms of the smoking experience is Daughters & Ryan Windsail Platinum. It is slightly bitter, and somewhat harsh in your throat.

When smoked really slowly though, it is quite a good smoke, and even with some complexity. Although some of the notes are like a cigarette.

The only other RYO I have smoked is Jester, which was unsmokable. This one is much better than Jester about similar to Daughters & Ryan in quality. (Windsail as mentioned)

I can definitely live with Buoy, and enjoy on its own merit. It needs to grow up a lot though to be top tier Virginia.

Of course this is only the first bowl. I will report back if it behaves significantly differently when I finish the bag.

Sounds similar to Capstan. Thank you.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes

Bug Tussle, MO isn’t to be found on any map other than the conjectures of a certain lawyer from California, MO. And I emphasize the word California. It is found in a few other states, but not Missouri.

However, Blue Eye, MO is a real place. It is not far from Dogpatch USA and Silver Dollar City. My mother is buried in the Blue Eye Cemetery. The Yokums live a few miles up the road. Sadie Hawkins came from this area and so did all her kin.

Jim Baker of Jim and Tammy Faye fame lives and still broadcasts from his studios in Blue Eye. He is selling Jesus and dry food meals that can be reconstituted with boiling water. There is nothing to make up when it comes to Blue Eye. When i worked with the folks at the Missouri State Education Department, they would always ask, “What will the folks in Blue Eye think about this regulation?”

So if we are going to nuke some place, lets nuke Bug Tussel, MO. No one will het hurt and the only wound will be to the imaginary pride of no one who really lives there, unlike Blue Eye which has all the qualities and spirit of Bug Tussel and actually exists.

The folks there are real and the name of their city can be found on their tax records. There is no need to create any hyperbole about their lives to make a point about the Will Ole the Wisp that haunts the cobwebs that hang over the dry rotted door that shuts out the light from an old hurricane lamp that was turned off years ago.
A true Pogo fan.

telescopes

The grizzled old Scot lit his dark and dirty pipe with the damp match that straddled the faded match book that balanced precipitously on top of the cover of the Scofield bible that sat carelessly on the edge of the cracked and yellowed wooded table near the back window. With the swoosh of his fingers, the aged match sparked into life, fire slowly growing from its head. With ease of manner, the Scot raised the match with his right hand and held it over the bowl of his pipe clenched tightly in his the sneer of his mouth. Taking care to make sure the flame avoided the rim of the bowl, the Scotsman carefully nursed the flame from the head of the match and into the tobacco that mounded up in the center of the pipe bowl. Like a steam locomotive slowly starting its journey from the station, the withered man softly but surely stoked the pipe with a series of rhythmical breaths that cycled in and out of his wrinkled and withered lips. With each beat of breath, he seemed to say something; something soft, quiet, and difficult to make out. The young boy whose job it was to keep an eye on the Scotsman, carefully watched him while he sat quietly in the dirty and torn chair next to the door. Then, with an interest born from some curiosity deep within his stomach, the boy leaned forward to make out what the old man seemed to be saying.

"Bug Tussle," the old man softly but intently muttered.

And with that, the old Scotsman slumped in his chair and died, both the pipe and the spent match falling aimlessly to the floor.

"Bug Tussle," he had said. His last words. The entirety of the old man's life had led to this moment. Everything he had done and would ever do ended now with these, his last words.

"Bug Tussle!"

What...just what... did it mean?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Yes, Virginia there is a Bug Tussle, Missouri and it’s found under the name Hamlet on the GIS maps:

The town originally was called Sexon, then later Hamlet, and finally Bug Tussle

Tinker Cemetery was founded 1830, near what was then Sexon at the Sexon Christian Church.

IMG_7043.jpeg

Nathan joined the Union Army in the fall of 1861 during the Civil War. According to the Adjutant General's Office, Nathan had been home on leave and on 19 April, 1863 was returning to camp with a group when they were captured by guerrillas in Dallas County, Missouri. He was murdered in Cedar County, Missouri on April 22, 1863 by gunshot. He was 36 years old.

He was buried in a mass grave in Cedar County, Missouri. Malinda did not want him buried there so two of her brothers retrieved his body. He was buried in Tinker Cemetery the same cemetery as their two sons and her parents.

Xxxx

Nathan Beason was a Christian good and true, and member of the Eighth Missouri State Militia Cavalry

non ministrari sed ministrare

We do not forget our own. Each time I’m at Tinker I tend to his grave, and others.

Those that killed Beason were hunted down one by one, the last one over forty years after the war.

Or so the old timers said.

Reactions: macaroni

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Emmett Molder and his wife Dora bought out the Hamlet store sometime in the twenties.

As a joke Emmett called his store Bug Tussle.

The postal authorities refused to change the name from Hamlet, but the rest of the community called it Bug Tussle.

Emmett Molder lived until the eighties.

He was most proud of this episode:

There really was, a mayor of Bug Tussle.

He wasn’t that good playing pitch, but he and Dora loved to play, his home was always welcome to the stranger, as was the Bug Tussle store.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

The next bowl try packing as hard as you can push down the tobacco.

It never hurts to rub it out into granules between your palms.

There may be some burley added, but this is primarily good Old Belt bright leaf.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I sat out here and ruminated a bit the biggest difference between the old cotton sack bright leaf blends and modern ones are the new ones come ribbon cut in plastic bags.

My wife has a small coffee grinder, and I have old sacks of Bull Durham, Our Advertiser, and Old Hillside in my huge stash of tobacco.

So I took a couple of ounces of Buoy Gold and ground it up as fine as old cotton sack tobacco was.

I was surprised.

It’s as mild as Capstan if ground up in a coffee grinder. It’s sweeter and lighter , too, less whang.

I’ll smoke it, but I much prefer Buoy Gold roght out of the package, tamped as tight as possible.

The flavor of this stuff is hearty, strong, and satisfying.

But try a little hobo grade tobacco in a coffee grinder.

You might like it better.

telescopes

Bug Tussle, MO isn’t to be found on any map other than the conjectures of a certain lawyer from California, MO.

As a joke Emmett called his store Bug Tussle.
Well it looks like the joke is on me, LOL.

I followed the link you gave me and oddly though, I just couldn't find anywhere it said anything about anyplace named Bug Tussle.

But I concede. When a man says it's so, you know, it's so. And you done said it's so, so it is, cause you done said it.

I guess I'll crawl on back to the Arkansas/Missouri boarder to that town that actually is listed on the books, Blue Eye, Missouri. I wouldn't want my Lie'n brown eyes to scare away Sadie.

All in good fun. Seriously, I appreciate being able to put another dime in the jukebox.

I feel so ashamed. Just like a.... what do you call that secret sauce in the Algerian briar. You know. The one we ain't suppose to say, ...;)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Well it looks like the joke is on me, LOL.

I followed the link you gave me and oddly though, I just couldn't find anywhere it said anything about anyplace named Bug Tussle.

But I concede. When a man says it's so, you know, it's so. And you done said it's so, so it is, cause you done said it.

I guess I'll crawl on back to the Arkansas/Missouri boarder to that town that actually is listed on the books, Blue Eye, Missouri. I wouldn't want my Lie'n brown eyes to scare away Sadie.

All in good fun. Seriously, I appreciate being able to put another dime in the jukebox.

I feel so ashamed. Just like a.... what do you call that secret sauce in the Algerian briar. You know. The one we ain't suppose to say, ...;)
Who needs a jukebox in Bug Tussle?

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
When my father was a young boy, he would hanker for a fountain pop and a slice of pizza after a day's worth of bailing hay for the third most obese cucumber farmer in all of Gophertits, Arkansas.

The best pizza in his little town of Gophertits, Arkansas was to be found in the quaint pizza parlor owned by an old Italian welder by the name of Sebastian Fettuccine. Everyone knew him as Ole Walt, a name he shares with a once well-known antisemite famous for making portraits of cartoon rats.

Now, my daddy would go up to Ole Walt and, hungry something fierce, get a slice of pizza knowing full well that the cheese on pizza would be sprinkled on and unmelted.

Ole Walt came to Gophertits poorer and more confused than a homeless vagabond on house arrest. In fact, he was so poor, that he couldn't afford an oven that could get hot enough to melt the thick-cut mozzarella proper. Back then, even foreign cheeses like mozzarella were subject to the fastidious standards of local dairy farmers. Except for William. Fuck William. And a high grade mozzarella will, as any tried hand can tell you, not melt under any heat cooler than the Devil's bottom, and you can bet your bottom dollar on that.

This didn't stop my daddy from enjoying the best pizza available to him, nor did it stop him from proposing to Ole Walt's daughter and eventually inheriting Ole Walt's pizza parlor. He would later convert that same parlor into a Gumby's cigarette shop and gambling arcade, which still holds the illustrious distinction of being the location of the second-most interesting heroin overdose in all of the tri-state area.

Daddy still sells bags of Buoy and Gambler there. He worked in the dirt and by God, he will smoke the dirt. I think Ole Walt would have been just fine with that.

Some real gems in this thread.
But this, this is a masterstroke.