PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Finally I think I am beginning to understand, forgive me, I'm a slow learner. Correct me if I'm wrong. The tobacco Briar has posted, is not pipe tobacco at all, it is instead RYO, masquerading as pipe tobacco in order to avoid the hefty VAT the government puts on RYO. However, according to Briar, this stuff DOES actually make for good pipe smoking, and he has even gone so far as to suggest it beats the premium virginias a lot of us are fond of smoking.

If that is the case, I don't buy it for a minute. Not a nanosecond. What is being posted here is the McDonalds of the pipe tobacco world. Any person is free to gorge themselves on that all day if that is their wish. They are alsofree to convince themselves they are enjoying haute cuisine. And in the case of an addictive substance like nicotine, I can understand the appeal of high quantities at knock down prices, if that product, despite its obvious inferiority, can scratch that itch so to speak. If you smoke 20 bowls a day, I get it. But there is just no way the stuff that is being freight-trained, is as good as the aforementioned Capstan. No chance.
That’s fine, but don’t forget that there’s a few folks here who would deem the Mac B abomination called Capstan unworthy of the name.
It’s all relative, and I think the OP has done good service to question the current norms.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Those bags are labeled pipe tobacco in cigarette stores to avoid being taxed as cigarette tobacco in the US. It is in fact RYO tobacco though.
This. Next to nobody is putting these blends in a pipe, and for good reason (they are ultra cheap, crappy cigarette tobacco). Just have a look through the WAYS thread and see how many instances of Buoy or Ohm you come across. Damn near zero.

This is not magical discovery or thrifty cheat code. It’s an eccentric’s anomalous outlier opinion presented as an experienced experts revelation, that if your average joe pipe smoker were to follow through on, would only result in utter dissatisfaction and a large bag of RYO being donated to the local corner “unhoused person”.

I have no personal issue with the OP, or his posts, but when wildly eccentric and pretty clearly incorrect information gets presented as a factual expert’s recommendation, I feel a bit of a duty to question it, and make clear that it is unlikely to apply to most pipe smokers, in order to better inform new pipe smokers who may be reading this and get sucked in by the folksy whimsy and confident presentation of an opinion that they will very likely end up NOT sharing.

If they do, that’s great, but I have just as much of a right to present my opinion (which in this case has a much higher probability of matching that of your typical pipesmoker) to counter that of the OPs.

Last edited:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Those bags are labeled pipe tobacco in cigarette stores to avoid being taxed as cigarette tobacco in the US. It is in fact RYO tobacco though.
Is it?
Exactly how is it different?

D&R tobaccos were the same, RYO or pipe. Different cut, same leaf.

GH sells shag that, because of the cut, does better rolled up. The tobacco is the same. I love their shag cuts in a pipe.

“Pipe Tobacco” does cover a very wide gamut of products. But there is certainly crossover with RYO.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This. Next to nobody is putting these blends in a pipe, and for good reason (they are ultra cheap, crappy cigarette tobacco). Just have a look through the WAYS thread and see how many instances of Buoy or Ohm you come across. Damn near zero.

This is not magical discovery or thrifty cheat code. It’s an eccentric’s anomalous outlier opinion presented as an experienced experts revelation, that if your average joe pipe smoker were to follow through on, would only result in utter dissatisfaction and a large bag of RYO being donated to the local corner “unhoused person”.
Even for my own RYO needs I use bulk oriental pipe blends. Budget cigarettes are better than many of those bagged RYO offerings

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Is it?

D&R tobaccos were the same, RYO or pipe. Different cut, same leaf.

GH sells shag that, because of the cut, does better rolled up. The tobacco is the same.
Have you rolled a cigarette with Dark Birdseye or Kendal? I have, and find them far superior in the pipe.

This has nothing to do with the OP of course, since these blends are not comparable to Buoy to begin with, I’m just genuinely curious if you truly prefer GH shags rolled up rather than in a pipe!

On D&R I’m a little closer to agreeing, as many of them are quite tasty rolled, but I do still prefer them in a pipe by a nose. Or maybe a shoulder 😂

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Every see how tobacco is liquefied to make cigarettes? After processing, it's no more tobacco than the paper it's rolled in. The shag intended for either or like D&R is just tobacco.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You know if I wasn't so hellishly busy doing a few work projects I could probably write an excellent take off of one of Briar Lees posts. It would probably involve the town midget having butt sex with Jeb's cousins sister Minnie while extolling the joys of smoking cigar clippings and owl pellets in a 25c corn pipe while drinking stump whisky! The post would be accompanied by a country music band headed up by a differently abled banjo player modeled on the character from the movie 'Sling Blade'!

Last edited: