Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I forgot to mention "broken rice" which I love. One of those many peasant items which turn out to be delicious. In Vietnam is is almost always served with BBQ meat and the Turks like to use it as a side that sort of resembled boiled bulger or couscous. It's basically the bits of rice which aren't premium enough to be sorted with the usual rice and is or was sold for a substantial discount.
I bought a bag to make toasted rice for larb, since you grind it up anyway after...

• Love
Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
There's always more room for kitchen gadgets/stuff, just ask my wife. If you run out of cabinet and counter space, learn to stack better 🙂

Actually it's my "spouse" who is more opposed to kitchen gadgets. I bought a food mill last year and that was a "whole conversation". I don't have the energy to breech a subject as controversial with her as a rice cooker...

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
Actually it's my "spouse" who is more opposed to kitchen gadgets. I bought a food mill last year and that was a "whole conversation". I don't have the energy to breech a subject as controversial with her as a rice cooker...
We'd have more room of it weren't for all of the food containers (that mostly end up with science projects in the back of the fridge) that also have a dedicated drawer for all the lids that go with them. No doubt, I too love having all the gadgets around though.

Mar 1, 2014
Wh

How is brown rice a "lie"? It is rice with the hull still attached and has more nutrients and fiber than white rice. I can't say I desirer brown rice but I wish I did and do enjoy the chewiness but my issue is that it's not good at soaking up sauces etc., like white rice.
If brown rice isn't good at absorbing water that would explain why I have to drown it to death like an overbearing woman.

• Wow
Jan 27, 2020
We'd have more room of it weren't for all of the food containers (that mostly end up with science projects in the back of the fridge) that also have a dedicated drawer for all the lids that go with them. No doubt, I too love having all the gadgets around though.

iIm pretty happy about cooking with a pretty minimal set-up. my "spouse" gave me a Japanese carbon steel knife a few years ago and I barely use it. Although, a rice cooker is one of the few items I contemplate. Every watch Pasta Grannies on YouTube? These Italian grandma's make amazing food with such little effort and gadgetry. Often they don't even use a cutting board when chopping up an onion instead just doing it over the pan in their hand.

iIm pretty happy about cooking with a pretty minimal set-up. my "spouse" gave me a Japanese carbon steel knife a few years ago and I barely use it. Although, a rice cooker is one of the few items I contemplate. Every watch Pasta Grannies on YouTube? These Italian grandma's make amazing food with such little effort and gadgetry. Often they don't even use a cutting board when chopping up an onion instead just doing it over the pan in their hand.
We live pretty much gadget free. Although, I still prefer a cutting board. With a good selection of non-stick skillets, cast iron, pans, and pots, I don't really need any of the fancy stuff. And, we cook from scratch every night.

Jan 27, 2020
We live pretty much gadget free. Although, I still prefer a cutting board. With a good selection of non-stick skillets, cast iron, pans, and pots, I don't really need any of the fancy stuff. And, we cook from scratch every night.

Same here. I cook from scratch maybe five nights a week and use a cutting board as well. I was just mentioning it as these women are highly skilled cooks and use so little gear. The people I know with the most decked out kitchens seem to do the least amount of cooking, or not very well. I do love my food mill though as if only to make mashed potatoes as it makes it a breeze.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Can't beat a good Japanese carbon steel knife! I have 3.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I think puttanesca is probably my absolute favorite pasta sauce and if you serve it to people who don't like anchovies I doubt they would even know they are in it.
Indeed, this is my favorite summer season pasta sauce, The insensitivity of this sauce is easy to adjust by adding less or more those anchovies, although I have to admit often I put them more than I should, also quality of the used ingredients &pasta sort plays a certain important role with this dish

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I really like the short grain rice that the Italians use in their risottos. Can't recall its name off-hand. I have a moderate case of CRS. The rice they serve in local Oriental restaurants is quite enjoyable if somewhat bland.

Jan 27, 2020
Indeed, this is my favorite summer season pasta sauce, The insensitivity of this sauce is easy to adjust by adding less or more those anchovies, although I have to admit often I put them more than I should, also quality of the used ingredients &pasta sort plays a certain important role with this dish

Yea I know what you mean. I think with Italian cooking the fact that a lot of the dishes don't really have many ingredients it's very important to use the best ones possible even when it comes down to the anchovies.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon