SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Parboiled rice actually has much more nutrition than normal white rice as the steaming process actually pushes nutrients from the husk into the grain. I often make rice in a really quick and likely less nutritious manner by boiling and I'm not speaking of parboiled rice. I read about it on some Bangladeshi lady's blog... you boil normal rice in a lot of water for around 7 mins than stain and let sit for a few minutes before fluffing and it comes out really nice and fluffy this way. I should probably get a rice cooker for the amount of rice we eat but I already have enough crap in our small kitchen.

Last edited:

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Parboiled rice actually has much more nutrition than normal white rice as the steaming process actually pushes nutrients from the husk into the grain. I often make rice in a really quick and likely less nutritious manner by boiling and I'm not speaking of parboiled rice. I read about it on some Bangladeshi lady's blog... you boil normal rice in a lot of water for around 7 mins than stain and let sit for a few minutes before fluffing and it comes out really nice and fluffy this way. I should probably get a rice cooker for the amount of rice we eat but I already have enough crap in our small kitchen.
I have a rice cooker and I'm not impressed. Even if you add extra water, the rice is dry. I went back to cooking it on the stove.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
I grew up in New Orleans if that says anything?
I serve rice with almost everything I cook. I also spent time in Indonesia
And South Korea so that didn't help either. Jasmine rice with Cajun and asian cuisine and yellow with beans and south western dishes is hard to beat.

Reactions: JOHN72

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Korea/Japanese rice cooked in pressurized rice cooker. Always come out perfect. Uncle Ben in a stove top for gumbo or etuoffee. Indian rice with Indian curry. Never had sweet sticky rice from Indochina cooked at home, but don't crave it often enough.

Reactions: JOHN72

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Rice that is sticky in texture will have a high Glycemic Index.

An Indian joke;

“Good rice is like two brothers, close to each other, but not stuck on each other.”

Basmati, Jasmine, and Brown, are better alternatives... ;)

P.S. I lived in Japan, and I have a born and raised Filipina wife, I know rice very well. LOL 😝

Last edited: