PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
That's interesting to hear and I'm not exactly surprised. Ever cook rice in the Puerto Rican style? It's prepared in a way that might strange for those use to cooking rice to the standard procedure but it comes out great with a particular texture which is hard to describe. You may want to give it a spin.

I've hadit but never tried cooking it. I'll have to give this a try.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
LSU has helped a farmer to grow a new species of rice, 65% more protein, with a very low glysemic number, very good for diabetics, it’s sold as Parish rice, as a Cajun who has grown up eating rice at almost every meal, no need to soak rice over night, old method of rinse ing rice about 3 times, then adding water over the top 2 finger joints high is the correct amount of water, Cook and enjoy!

The best fried rice is made with day old rice.
I was thinking like Mexican fried rice, where you toast the rice while caramelizing the onions and peppers, and then add tomato stock to hydrate the rice. But, I guess there is the Asian variety. Never used day old rice, but I'll give it a whirl, next time we are feeling ricey.

Jan 27, 2020
I was thinking like Mexican fried rice, where you toast the rice while caramelizing the onions and peppers, and then add tomato stock to hydrate the rice. But, I guess there is the Asian variety. Never used day old rice, but I'll give it a whirl, next time we are feeling ricey.

Oh ok, I grew up calling that "Spanish rice". Apparently for Asin fried rice, day old rice won't allow the grains to absorb too much of the oil. I make these sorts of lazy man pilafs when I'm cooking- I'll throw in a dollop of tomato paste, some herbs stock or whatever when I boil my rice and sometimes combine that with some sauteed onions or whatever after I drain it. As much as I like rice I sort of regard cooking it as a forgotten stepchild and don't give it the full attention as other dishes.

Although I hate brown raisins in most anything I do like basmati with golden raisins and usually "temper" them the Indian way in ghee or coconut oil with mustard seeds, curry leaves etc., after pouring it over the cooked rice. I feel like their are a lot of ways to jazz up rice that we overlook. Some Indian place near us has coconut rice which along with coconut has all sorts or spices and dried fruits in it.

It's also kinda surprising how great some simple rice dishes are- growing up buttered rice with parsley was often served and that never got old.

Jan 27, 2020
Wh
Some mornings you all do not disappoint. I was not sure if I should click on this. I like rice. Brown rice is a lie. It is really quite bad for you. When I am bulking, I eat a lot of rice. When I am leaning, less\

How is brown rice a "lie"? It is rice with the hull still attached and has more nutrients and fiber than white rice. I can't say I desirer brown rice but I wish I did and do enjoy the chewiness but my issue is that it's not good at soaking up sauces etc., like white rice.

Reactions: Jbrewer2002
Jan 27, 2020
I forgot to mention "broken rice" which I love. One of those many peasant items which turn out to be delicious. In Vietnam is is almost always served with BBQ meat and the Turks like to use it as a side that sort of resembled boiled bulger or couscous. It's basically the bits of rice which aren't premium enough to be sorted with the usual rice and is or was sold for a substantial discount.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon