PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I'm am not an expert. I eat basmati rice. Boil it until its cooked. Often I then make fried rice. Or I would make chicken curry.

Best thing I have learned recently is that you have to wash the rice before starting. Wash it a lot.

And don't over cook it.

And drain it as soon as its ready, don't leave it sitting in the water (because it would still be cooking and becoming overcooked)

Any other tips?

Jan 27, 2020
I bought a bag of riceberry a few months ago. It's a newish variety of nice that has higher nutritional value than most. It has the same cooking time as white rice but has a similar chewiness as brown rice.

Reactions: JOHN72
Jan 27, 2020
I have a rice cooker and I'm not impressed. Even if you add extra water, the rice is dry. I went back to cooking it on the stove.

That's interesting to hear and I'm not exactly surprised. Ever cook rice in the Puerto Rican style? It's prepared in a way that might strange for those use to cooking rice to the standard procedure but it comes out great with a particular texture which is hard to describe. You may want to give it a spin.

• Wow
Reactions: FurCoat and JOHN72
Jan 27, 2020
This is an old photo, on vacation, at my sister-in-law's house. There, the mosquitoes and the extreme heat, made me drink a lot, hahahahahahaha. They have continental climate, it's horrible. In the Valencian community.

If I were you John when I'm there drinking I would throw the empty bottles against the walls of the house in protest of the shitty climate. Maybe arrive with a broom and dust pan to set the tone, telling your sister in-law that she will be needing to use those after you're done drinking.

Mar 1, 2014
Rice has become the main fuel for my workouts on the weekend.
It took a while but I finally figured out how to cook the perfect pot of sticky rice (using an electric rice cooker/cheapest bulk bag brown rice).

Step 1: Fill the pot halfway with rice, and then top it up all the way to the rim with water.
Let the rice soak for 12-24 hours.

Step 2: Drain the water and thoroughly rinse off the rice (you can also rinse at the start if you like), then top up the pot with water again all the way to the rim.

Step 3: Cook the rice (my pot takes 50 minutes).

As soon as the timer runs out I spoon it out and start eating, beautiful sticky rice, which is easy to eat with chopsticks.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
If I were you John when I'm there drinking I would throw the empty bottles against the walls of the house in protest of the shitty climate. Maybe arrive with a broom and dust pan to set the tone, telling your sister in-law that she will be needing to use those after you're done drinking.
My friend. I can tell you that my fucking sister-in-law used to make me pick up the dried pet shit that defecated in the garden. Sometimes the worms would greet me from that dog shit. You can't beat drinking beers with my sister-in-law. She's the devil himself chugging malted cereal, hahahahahahahahahaha.069f050f-7605-41b6-9409-b04c226c07dc[5023].jpg