PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdwebb12

Might Stick Around
Jan 25, 2013
I smoke in a back room with the door closed and the window open. Haven't noticed a lasting smell.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
I usually smoke outside on the deck enjoying a beautiful view of the lake . My problem is I live up here in the great white north and it gets really miserably cold during winter. These past few months it got way too cold in the -40's even . So since I started smoking the pipe as way to sit back relax & enjoy, I hardly ever smoke in the winter months. Something about going outside & freezing doesn't appeal to me. I must admit that once in a while I go downstairs by the wood stove , light up a few candles & try to sneak a nice bowl of some of my favourite tobacco's. I sure am looking forward to having warmer weather soon as spring is just around the corner and being able to enjoy smoking my pipe again more regularly.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
"Outdoors when the weather permits, and in the sun room when it doesn't." says Guerillapiper, same with me.
And in my Jeep but never wife's auto (learned that one the hard way), at the B&M's and cigar bars, and the two local taverns which legally allow smoking.
Even if my wife would not complain I don't like the aroma of stale tobacco smoke and cleaning the hazy gunk off my electronics.
But I do miss the days of firing up a bowl in my office at work (instead of wasting time outside on a "break") or smoking at home while I'm writing.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
I found this thread parusing the archives....after being new to pipe smoking or smoking in general, I've found that, while smoking indoors, my rub comes from how the room smells in the hours after smoking, it's just reminiscent of cigarette smoke to me. I love it during the smoke, so it's mostly outdoors for me.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Now that the kids are all gone I have "my study". In it, books, music, my pipes, desk, lap top and a comfortable chair. A refuge from all else. Kind of like Peck's but on a mini scale! The rest of the house is for her.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I smoke both indoors and out. If I'm inside I fo sit next to a window fan that blows 99% of the smoke out. I can sit and smoke with my wife in the room and she won't smell it at all.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Renting instead of owning + a wife that barely tolerates this hobby + statewide smoking ban = no smoking indoors for me, ever, except at local B&Ms.

royodhner

Lurker
Dec 28, 2015
We live in an old, draughty house with high ceilings and a big living room. I have a corner of the living room that is my "Man Nook" cuz it's not quite a "Man Cave" but is quite comfy and well-appointed. Anyway, I smoke in the house, just not Lat Bombs or cigars.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
I smoke indoors almost exclusively, except when I'm on the mountainside.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I smoke inside exclusively as well. Don't like it? don't let the door hit your butt on the way out. Just returned from my sister's cottage at the lake, cigarette smokers go outside but pipes and cigars are ok inside and she smokes cigarettes!

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
I rarely if ever smoke outside. The wind currents make my cigars burn much faster, and can cause uneven burn in a pipe, and possibly cause damage to the inside of a pipe bowl.
I remember reading somewhere that it's best to smoke indoors, with proper ventilation, and I believe that.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I smoke pipes inside most of the time, in the basement where I have a workbench with tools, a desk and recliner to sit and read in. It's a man-cave of sorts. The smoke doesn't penetrate to the upstairs enough to bother anyone. Cigars are a different story though, I smoke them outside on orders from the general.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Wind caps dutch, wind caps. I spend the majority of my life out of doors. Never had a problem with a pipe outside. In fact some of the most enjoyable bowls are at sunset, in camp, without a human for many, many miles. If I only smoked inside I wouldn't get more that three or four bowls a day.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
cigarette smokers go outside but pipes and cigars are ok inside and she smokes cigarettes!
Nice!
I smoke outside/in the garage exclusively. Not by choice. I look forward to the day I can smoke a pipe in my own place.
If I could smoke inside I would probably quadruple the number of bowls smoked.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I smoke mostly indoors because even the slightest wind can make you pipe burn really hot and your tobacco burn really fast. Wind cap does very little to help that matter. When I smoke in my room I usually turn the vent on, or keep a window wide open, sometimes both. And when I occasionally smoke outside, I would find a place where there is very little wind.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I smoke only outside, unless I'm somewhere that allows smoking inside. As for my home, I'm either smoking in the backyard or our sunroom. I love pipe smoking but my wife, and even myself, wouldn't be happy if everything smelled like smoke all the time.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Huh! I wonder why the caps work for some and not others. Mine let the tobacco smolder bit, keep it from getting overly hot. I do change my style in a steady wind and do not clench the pipe furthering protecting the bowl with my fist. Different strokes I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.