PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I smoke indoors in one room; upstairs in the ol' man cave. I make sure I keep the door closed so the smell doesn't spread throughout the house. The car is a smoke free zone but not my pickup. My wife is pretty understanding never gives me a hard time and I try to be considerate.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
The only time I've smoked "indoors" were in bars/dance halls out of San Antonio, because we can't smoke in any indoor public place in the city, and none of them were nice experiences because I was always around someone that didn't like smoke so I tried to move slightly farther away from the group and blow my smoke in the opposite direction of them.
Made me self conscience about smoking the pipe and just was not a happy experience.
Hopefully one day I will be able to smoke in my own house.
Simply put, I'm doing it whether the wife gives the go ahead or not. She's going to accept this part of me because she has no other option. I plan to have a "smoking room" which will be upstairs and have proper ventilation. So I will do many things that will make it more appealing to her, but at the same time I want them there anyway.
It's a win/win.
Happy Smoking Pipers.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Indoors and outside. My wife likes anything without Latakia, so inside I smoke Latakia blends in my workroom. I've had a few experiences in which cab drivers, detecting pipe aroma on my clothes, actually asked me to light up in their cabs even though it is forbidden!

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings all,
Boy, I sure pity you guys with intolerant spouses. If my wife was not accepting of my pipe smoking, we would have NEVER married 27 years ago. In fact, I met here while I was working at a tobacco shop! She even likes the aroma of cigars! I thank God every day that I met her. I'm truly blessed.
My smoking restrictions are my own. I smoke ONLY pipes indoors. Downstairs or in the basement. No cigars or cigs indoors ever. And never in the bedroom or upstairs. I prefer my sleeping space clean and odor free.
Pipe smoke only hangs in the air for a short time and visiting non-smoking guests never mention it. And some of my wife's friends are real anti-tobacco! No comments, ever. My wife will light a few scented candles before their arrival and that usually takes care of any residual odors.
I'll smoke in my Xterra, but not my wife's car. She will allow me though, but I refrain. Her car is her space.
I'll enjoy a cigar while walking the dog, in my workshop or out in our enclosed deck during the warmer months. The residual stench of cigars can hang around for days and never really leaves. And, after 10 years of owning a tobacco shop, being surrounded by cigar smoke all day, 6 days a week, I'm really tired of the smell permeating everything. I'd come home every night, throw my clothes in the wash and take a shower. My shoes, belt, wallet, even my wristwatch, would reek of cigars. I couldn't wash those things. Well, maybe the watch.
I'm sorry, but having to sit in a cold, lonely garage, shivering next to the garbage cans, is NOT a pleasurable experience. You deserve better. I couldn't imagine not being able to relax with a pipe while watching a movie or reading a book, nestled in my recliner in MY nice, warm house. I'd probably quit smoking...or get a divorce!
God bless you guys for being so "understanding". Smoke on!
CACooper

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Outside and in the (heated) garage. My wife can't stand the smell of smoke of any kind (including wood and leaves, which I find utterly baffling).

thuber88

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2013
Cheap cigars tend to last a few days after.

Otherwise and including cigars..

Anyplace I want to.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Pipes in my cave where I do all my work reading, writing and gaming. Use a carbon furnace filter and a Lampe Berger. Then in the summer, by the pool. For cigars I have a local club with a locker in the humidor. When the weather is nice I go to watch PPV fights, Steeler games and when they have a weekend events... or up for a game of Bocci.

englishdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Denver, CO
Indoors in my basement "office". The smell stays very confined to that space. Those that enter it either say nothing or comment that it "smells nice". I smoke mostly english blends, some virginias.
I'll smoke outside if it isn't windy when I'm walking the dog to the local coffee shop. I only smoke a bowl a day, and when I leave my home-office I open the windows and everything seems to be well aired out.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I converted to outdoor smoking with cigarettes in the early 90s, and haven't looked back.
Now, even as a reformed non-smoker (I quit cigarettes years ago but have recently returned to pipes), I still smoke outside. Given the ability of smoke to cling and transfer through the house's ventilation system I just don't feel good inflicting it on others. Particularly my wife, who likes the smell of pipe smoke but suffers from asthma, and any potential kids we bring into the world.
I have a nook on our front balcony replete with light to read by, table to hold the scotch and annoying neighbour's garden to dump the ash out into. Not to mention the views of the 'hood. Now when it's -27 outside this becomes a little more challenging, and I'll freely admit to lighting 1/2 a bowl to "season the bowl" some... but to get my butt back inside quickly.
-- Pat

cedeks

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2012
Indoor in my office room at home, outdoor only in coffee shops ... I just love the quite smooth time sitting outside in my favourite coffee shop sipping my coffee, smoking my pipe and reading something or just watching people passing by. Usually the best time of the day.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I feel fortunate to have my "Smokin' Hole" / Man Cave / Dog House".

I don't smoke anywhere else in the house.

My "Smokin' Hole / Man Cave / Dog House" is basically off limits to the rest of the family.

Although... they pay little heed to my.... restrictions. :D

Any disagreements with my "restrictions" are referred to the complaint department.

MA246_lg.gif

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Live alone so only indoors - that's where my computer is! Plus in Texas you can't enjoy outdoors much of the time; if I could keep it 50° in here, I and the pc would be happy.

Dec 24, 2012
I don't smoke in the house. Luckily we have a detached coachouse, which is my man cave. I have my office and toys there, and I smoke there.

jeffdevore

Lurker
Feb 15, 2013
The catagory of "room notes" determines the pleasantness of a tobacco's aroma. One must be cognizant of the company and their tolerance of fumage. Some folks take offence at the mere suggestion of smoke,while burning a stick of incense. The worst part of smoking is having to dismiss oneself into some safe, private enclave. We do it out of habit. My father filled our home with pipe smoke for decades, but we could always determine the presence of a cigarette. One is the aroma of frying bacon in the morning;the other is burnt pocorn in the microwave.

I've had more than a few folks say, "That smells like..." only to finish their comment with, "really good". Start by taking your last few puffs into the house and see how it goes.If the wife beats you about the head with a frying pan, then stay outdoors. If she ignores it, then push the envelop.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
After a couple years of heavy puffing inside, my office smells like the inside of a tobacco tin.

This is not a bad thing, and the lady friend agrees.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I smoke indoors at home, no bad smells here either. I only smoke out side if im at a relatives house, or if its nice outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.