PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I smoke my pipe in my Car or Truck when I'm out. My Garage has a Frig with cold beer, Heat, TV, Motorcycles and Tractors. Why would I smoke in the house? I have animals in the house and my wife out of respect for her, I smoke away from them.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The catagory of "room notes" determines the pleasantness of a tobacco's aroma.

Welcome aboard Jeffdevore!
For the most part I would concur with your statement; however, oft times (with the notable exception of blends containing Latakia) the room note can be described as having a particular aroma. e.g. Grousemoor / lemon grass, Paladin Black Cherry / black cherry, 1Q / Grandpa... :D
Just to further clarify my opinion, I love the smell of a good English blend, as do most pipe smokers, I believe.

To those who have never tried blends with Latakia, it may smell off-putting, and that is in agreement with your statement about room notes. What my War Department calls "stinky stuff", smells like heaven to me.
:puffy:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Pipes: indoors, cigs: out on the balcony. I strangely prefer pipes and this could be one of the reasons. :D

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
No wife to worry about, but I do have two roommates constantly pestering me to smoke there ciggeretts indoors so I smoke in the garage as an example to follow. There is a space heater in there as well as my work station and some pretty nice surround sound, we have it set up as a party room so I can't complain to much. As for smoking outside I have tried but oklahoma's wind makes that damn near impossible.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Outside for me now after the wifey started on her hormone therapy. Used to be able to smoke my pipe indoors, and would smoke cigars outside. Her nose is super sensitive now, and she can smell the pipes that I haven't given a weekly cleaning to from across the room. She smokes cigs, and it's funny that she can't smell her ashtray on the front porch when I can smell it when I walk outside..

qhelms

Lurker
Jan 19, 2013
I'm indoors right now happily puffing away, the wife sitting right next to me. She is rather sensitive to smoke but I've pretty well mastered ventilation in the Rv we call home. The smell does not linger more than an hour after I finish my bowl a day. I do prefer smoking outside, especially when walking the dogs when the weather permits a 45 minute outing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke indoors whenever I feel like it which is most of the time. I do enjoy smoking outside on either my lanai or front porch when it is not too windy or humid. I smoke in my car and on walks with the dog. When I was married I smoked in the house and it was never an issue, the ex smoked cigarettes so she couldn't smell anything.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
My wife, who rarely acknowledges my pipes since I generally leave them for when she's not around or at work, asked me yesterday..."Do you have to smoke your pipe in the house?" I just said "Yes" and she didn't say anything else about it. I guess it pays to be direct, but she knows me well enough that I'll do what I want anyways.
Very interesting that she mentioned it for once, but I know why...she was away for a week for Chinese New Year and I got a little exuberant while she was gone. I still cracked the windows and did my usual thing, but I got to indulge way more often than normal.
IT WAS A GREAT WEEK! :puffy:

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I smoke indoors at home, right now we've been having 40mph winds and 90 degree weather so smoking indoors with the a/c is perfect

mog69

Lurker
Jan 20, 2013
I'm kind of lucky really. I smoke aromatics when with the wife (who smokes cig's) and the dining room is being decorated so I smoke the Balkan's / English in there for now. I'll have a bowl or two in the garage if servicing the bike, and its a good way for the wife to judge the amount of time I'll spend in the garage when I tell her it will be a 2 bowl-er.
Generally I can smoke anywhere, but I do try and keep it to one room. I have yet to try smoking a pipe in the car, but that's going to a different thread.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Inside at a friend's house just off campus, and back at home when it's cold enough to have a fire in our living room. Otherwise, outside or the B&M smoking lounge.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think that if a man is paying the mortgage then he has the right to smoke anywhere he damn well pleases. Life is too short to be huddled outside freezing your ass off because a wife doesn't like the smell. Tell her it is your house and your rules, never let them tell you what to do.
ps, make sure you have already contacted a very good divorce lawyer.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I smoke indoors but only in the man cave / basement and my wife never smells it so no complaints.
I will smoke outdoors when it's warmer. Go for a walk and a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife is a former camels and Galois smoker, so is tolerant. I used to take my pipe outside, and found that a good way to keep in touch with

the natural world, the weather, and at night the stars. So outdoor smoking is a good thing. I never smoke when driving. I'm just not a good

multi-tasker, but also, I don't want to mix the engagement and stress of driving, with a tobacco pipe. A pipe should be smoked in a mood of

meditation. That's one of its health benefits.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
I smoke everywhere. I have a separate air conditioner/heater as well as a through the wall exhaust fan in my library. No smell and no problem

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
I can only smoke indoors if the lady is going to be gone for a number of hours. And then it's right next to a window fan blowing out. Beats braving a Maine winter with its cold and wind. Also, she can never know. :puffy:
Otherwise, it's a car session for me. Window cracked and NPR or ipod on the radio. Prairie Home Companion may as well be known as Pipe Smoking Companion lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.