Any Tips for Jazzing up Scrambled Eggs Guys?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I thought you Cornish chaps used mushy peas to spice up your life
that's a misdirection. It's how they keep their culinary secrets safe from the world. So we're all thinking it mashed peas and jellied eels, while they keep all the great stuff for themselves. They also call cookies biscuits so that other people don't eat them all. Clever chaps.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think this thread has pretty well covered scrambled egg recipes. I'll echo the suggestions on finely chopped onions, green or other peppers, a hint of garlic maybe, a dash of Tobasco. Crumbled bacon or sausage is good, as is grated cheddar cheese, or other cheese you like.

Scrambled is about the only way I like my eggs, but with good fixings, they are really sustaining and taste real good too. I guess I like deviled eggs too, come to think of it.

I like scrambled eggs with toast, or on toast or biscuits as a sandwich. Coffee is the go-to beverage, stove-top percolator brew for me.

Smoked salmon I usually have with toasted bagels and cream cheese. It's hard to find real bagels out in the provinces, but some of them are okay. NYC bagel eaters are spoiled forever.

I like fried potatoes with my scrambled eggs too. These can be fried for the purpose, or using up potatoes from last night's supper. Even re-heated fries if they were good to begin with.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
As a kid, my grandfather made pink eggs that he said had pork brains in them. I had always thought that he was kidding, but it turns out that they were pork brians.

They are extremely tender and tasty, like a very tender ham that just melts in your mouth.
View attachment 234944
My grandmother cooked lamb or young goat's head in the oven. I liked the roasted skin, but my aunts would eat the brains and the eyes. I like the brains, but I don't eat them because they give me a certain repugnance.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I'm quite partial to scrambled eggs, quick and easy to make and quite tasty as they are but I wondered if there are any ways to spice things up a bit.

I always use plenty of ground pepper with salt but recently tried them with Tabasco Green sauce (which I adore) but that didn't seem to work. I've thought about some grated mature cheddar which I may try once my shopping arrives on Monday.

So guys, how do you add that extra zing to your scrambled eggs?

Regards,

Jay.
For me the simplest way is to put a few drops of Worcestershire sauce in with the eggs and a splash of milk before scrambling them. Also try duck eggs for a richer flavor.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Scrambleds cook best very low and slow. Ultra low flame. Start with room temp shell eggs. Bring to room temp quickly in warm water in shell. Crack in bowl and whisk. Cold pan on stove. Add tablespoon of clarified butter. Bring up heat to melt and add egg mixture. Stir constantly. Never let them sit. Just before firm while still very loose but somewhat coming together add a tablespoon of creme fraiche and a dash of white pepper. Keep stirring until just before they look done. Then serve. You could sub unflavored Greek yogurt or sour creme. Fluffy and creamy eggs will be your reward.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Wow guys, I woke up to a thousand suggestions, not at all what I expected.

I love the idea proposed by several of you of adding some smoked salmon, that does sound quite delicious. Also some chopped & sweated sweet chilli peppers along with some garlic also appeals. Perhaps some chunks of Philadelphia cheese might work too?

I've tried Tabasco Green and Lea & Perrins and though I love them both, I didn't like them on my eggs. Maybe some of the hotter sauces might do it. I have some Encona chilli sauce (made in the West Indies I think).

I had to look up sriracha and tapatio, I'm not so sure they're available over here though they do sound appealing.

I have had scrambled eggs with Raman style noodles a few times and that was surprisingly good.

My fortnightly shopping delivery arrives on the morrow so I'll then have some mature cheddar to try out and as a last thought, maybe I could cook up some of my kippers and add those once I've plucked out all the hairy bones :oops:

Thanks again chaps, some great suggestions there.

Regards,

Jay.

PS: Mushy peas are more a northern thing, certainly not a Cornish thing though they are available here. Can't stand them myself, despite being a Yorkshireman by origin.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Wow guys, I woke up to a thousand suggestions, not at all what I expected.

I love the idea proposed by several of you of adding some smoked salmon, that does sound quite delicious. Also some chopped & sweated sweet chilli peppers along with some garlic also appeals. Perhaps some chunks of Philadelphia cheese might work too?

I've tried Tabasco Green and Lea & Perrins and though I love them both, I didn't like them on my eggs. Maybe some of the hotter sauces might do it. I have some Encona chilli sauce (made in the West Indies I think).

I had to look up sriracha and tapatio, I'm not so sure they're available over here though they do sound appealing.

I have had scrambled eggs with Raman style noodles a few times and that was surprisingly good.

My fortnightly shopping delivery arrives on the morrow so I'll then have some mature cheddar to try out and as a last thought, maybe I could cook up some of my kippers and add those once I've plucked out all the hairy bones :oops:

Thanks again chaps, some great suggestions there.

Regards,

Jay.

PS: Mushy peas are more a northern thing, certainly not a Cornish thing though they are available here. Can't stand them myself, despite being a Yorkshireman by origin.
Mushy peas reminded me of the Seinfeld episode with Elaine and yankee beans.

• Haha
Reactions: David D. Davidson
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Bacon greasing in the pan, and a little whole fat milk in your egg mix.
I then add diced jalapeños, diced tomatos, peppers, minced garlic, onions, bacon or even leftover meat in your fridge (steak, sausage, chicken, BBQ, etc) - add all that to a pan and let it simmer I'm the bacon grease. Then I pour my egg mix over them and slowly stir on a low heat. I then put it on a plate and top it with cheese (goat, smoked gouda, whatever you like), salt and pepper and sometimes chives. Hot sauce too if you like to spice it up more.

It's a hardy bowl full of protein, vitamins, fiber, and all that. I used to put it in a spinach wrap tortilla, but now I eat it from a bowl.
Owning 30+ chickens and having more eggs than we can keep up with, you learn to get creative
Look into Quiche also - egg pie. My God, my wife makes damn good quiche. Also Tomato Pie - that's a staple in our home. We pair it with whatever I've got on the grill.

Eggs are a fascinating ingredient. There's just endless ways to experiment