PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpe

Lurker
Oct 31, 2012
What's a good pipe to start off with? And are churchwarden pipes any good in that they give you a cooler smoke?

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
LOL... get ready to receive countless suggestions. LOL
Whats your price point?... and I would probably not start with a churchwarden, but that just my opinion.

skysail

Might Stick Around
Sep 16, 2012
I think a good first would be one of those gift sets from pipes and cigars.com. That's what I did an I love the set that I chose.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I can't find a prior post on this. I figured there'd be one, but I can't find any.
I suggest a cob. Easy to smoke, and very low maintenance. And they're cheap. If you want a briar pipe grab up a Bjarne. They smoke great, and they're usually about $45-$65 online. And lots of styles to choose from.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I always say, buy the best pipe (and tobacco) you can afford. If you are willing to spend $50-$60, you can get a nice estate Peterson or Stanwell or Savinelli that is clean and ready to smoke. I would not suggest E-Bay if you don't have experience with pipes.

If you're lucky enough to have a good B&M nearby, talk to them.
I would not buy a churchwarden simply because it is more difficult to handle.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forum.
I think if you're drawn to a churchwarden, it could a fine choice - but be forewarned, they tend to have small bowls and many run hot when smoking. Still, a lot of experienced pipe smokers like 'em.
I think the brand you choose could be the key in the decision. Be sure to buy from a solid brand, like Stanwell, Savinelli, or Peterson (and there are many others). Smokingpipes.com is a good place to start since to my knowledge, they only sell solid brands.
Another pipe people are liking for great value is a Mr. Brogs.
When I first started I didn't know one brand from the next. Fortunately I researched before buying. Also, if you find one you like, show it here and people will be happy to help!

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
If I've learned anything in my last week here it's been "go with what you like"
Find a pipe that fits your budget, maybe go a little over. I've had my eye on Mr. Brog for my next pipe purchase. They look well made while reasonably priced. Let me know what you go with! I'm new also.

vinvin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Welcome to the forums! I'm also fairly new here but I would definitely suggest a Mr. Brog! I bought one and after smoking it couldn't resist and bought a few more. Given that most of his Pear wood pipes cost around 20-30 after shipping and his Briar pipes are around 55-60 after shipping, they aren't too expensive but smoke great!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Churchwardens are cool but a little bit unwieldy. Like others said, get the best pipe you can afford in a style that you like. Make sure the pipe is drilled straight. The draft hole should be dead center on the bottom of the bowl and should pass a cleaner all the way throughwith the stem attached. Make sure the walls of the bowl are nice and thick and the bowl is smooth on the inside.
Get yourself some good tobaccos to experiment with and have fun!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
This should indeed generate a flurry of answers:
I always say, buy the best pipe (and tobacco) you can afford

^^ I second that ^^
It all depends on your price point. If you can set aside $100, you are well on your way to get a very, very decent pipe that will last you for years, a good variety of tobacco samples, cleaners, pipe tool, etc.. When people ask me, that usually the budget I recommend since you'll get something worthwhile that won't completely give you a bad experience. Note that I started with a $35 no name basket pipe, which I still have and still smoke.
In general, I would try to answer the following three questions:

* How much am I willing to spend

* Is there a particular shape or model I like (bent, straight, smooth, etc...)

* Am I willing to buy something cheap and start over, or would I rather have something that'll last me a while.
With regards to carvers: Savinelli, Peterson, Stanwell are just three to name that rarely disappoint and have decently priced briars that will last you a lifetime.
For some other threads, try these:
Trying to Pick my First Pipe
$100 Combo
My First Pipe
New New New, First Pipe Purchase

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I recommend starting out with a great affordable pipe... Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob!

While I see no problem with starting out on a churchwarden, and yes they can provide cooler smokes, I think that for the price and quality of smoke it is best that you start on a corncob.

Plus you won't have to worry about ghosting too much which will be good as you will most likely be trying many new types of baccy.

nanotech471

Lurker
Dec 19, 2011
Man I just took a look around eBay and the prices for new pipes went through the roof...I got a Peterson Killarney 221 NEW from a UK dealer for about $60CAD with free shipping to Canada... That was about a year ago... I'd highly recommend Peterson though great starters.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Lots of good advice here. Jud always posts good straightforward stuff. I always listen to him. Here's my input: consider a 1/4 or 1/2 bent pipe. having the rim of the bowl sitting down just a bit gives you better line of sight to make it easier to see what you are doing when first learning the ropes. A half or quarter bend is also much easier to get a cleaner through down to the bowl than a full bend.
Also welcome to the forum sharpe -Enjoy!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Definitely suggest a cob or something by Peterson, Savinelli, or Stanwell. All good smokers with a wide range of prices. Churchwardens do smoke a bit cooler, but as stated they're a bit cumbersome. If you're wanting to clench it's a bit harder.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Jud always posts good straightforward stuff. I always listen to him.
Thanks Mike! I've been smoking a pipe for over 40 years - ok, there was maybe a 10 year hiatus when all I smoked was cigars, but I came back close to 10 years ago. I like to share my own experience.

chawz

Lurker
May 29, 2011
Alaska
Butz-choquin (BC) D'accord are great pipes at a fair price. Smokingpipes has some classic billiard and bulldogs.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I personally would make this my first quality briar. It is very reasonably priced and should be a great smoker.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rasmussen/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=60658
Don't forget to ask for their 10 percent discount. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.