PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeder13

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2012
Hmmm I'm new to pipe smoking and would like some help picking where to start, I love my cigars but when you consider it's 10 bucks a smoke for a cigar or 10 for some good pipe tobacco and with as often as I smoke it seems logical. Here are the two I've narrowed it down to http://pipesandcigars.com/itchsp.html and http://pipesandcigars.com/pigisetpatit.html Any suggestions? :)

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
You will get more milage out of the smaller (silver band) pipe than you will with the churchwarden.
You can always buy a CW later, but the regular pipe will fit in more as you are learning.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Churchwardens are not the most convenient pipes to carry, clean, hold, etc. If I had to choose between these two I'd pick the sand blasted one with the silver band.

treeder13

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2012
The only time i smoke is when i can relax at usually while sitting would that matter in choosing?

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
The thing about starting with a churchwarden is that it is a little more on the maintenance, special size pipe cleaners and portability. That said I love my sav. Churchwarden but bought it after 9 (regular pipes). Ever think about a cobb not to deter you from your first 2 great choices.

cheers

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
The churchwarden is like a wall clock and the Trevi is like a wrist watch, they both tell time, its simply a matter of utility. If you are only going to sit at home the churchwarden will do fine, the Trevi will work at home, if you want to go for a walk in the woods, if you travel. I personally think there is far more utility in the Trevi for a first pipe than the churchwarden.

treeder13

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2012
:D haha that's the problem i only smoke on the deck and when it comes to which one i like i'm so tied on them maybe i should look at the tobacco they come with instead

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Having just started myself I'd give some direction I took to heart. As for the pipe, choose what feels right and your comfortable with. If you feel stupid you will not be happy. I started with a Savinelli since it was not $100 but 50 and a solid pipe. you will see a lot that say to start with a cob. i now have one but could picture myself with one. As a cigar smoker i just want to deliver 1 piece of wisdom. Slow Slow Slow. The draw on a pipe is way too free compared to a cigar. If you like a churchwarden's shape is what you like, go with it. I liked the bent billiard classic look and am happy. I think I look like Cary Grant......

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If you're just learing stay away from churchwardens for now. Learn with the MORE normal pipe.
Go with the Savinelli Trevi. And add some more tobacco to your order. Check our the bulk stuff too.
You can find great stuff for $11 for 4oz.
Happy Smoking.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Pick up some cobs to give whatever pipe you get a rest. BTW I also recommend the Trevi. I have a Sav churchwarden and as awesome as it is, I find smaller pipes are easier to use.
-Jason

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
+2 lordnoble's suggestion...and welcome treeder! Definitely consider adding a cob or two to the order...$5 or less:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/micocobme.html

treeder13

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2012
Well anyone got any tobacco to recommend? All my family are cigerette smokers the nasty things I like stuff on the sweeter side but not disgustingly flavored

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
You can't go wrong with a briar pipe.
If you prefer sweeter over stronger flavors, you want to try aromatics. I recommend Lane Limited and Peter Stokkebye.
enjoy yourself :puffy:

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
Go with the silver band. It is definitely better for learning and it is a great looking pipe. Starting on the pipe is different for every person. A lot of people have opinions about what tobacco to start with, what pipe to choose, etc. I would say one quality pipe and a premium tobacco (like what comes with that package) is fine to start with. Start slow and learn how to enjoy the tobacco, keep the pipe lit, and break in the pipe (even if the pipe is broken in at the factory, it will benefit from some cake development). I don't think you can really get a handle on what you want in a tobacco until you've done that IMO (and I wish someone had told me that when I started). Also, I'm guessing that as a cigar smoker you will be smoking less than a bowl per day. One quality briar is plenty of pipe to handle that.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I started with corn cobs as we can't get any good briar pipes here. They smoke great, cool and sweet. Under $10 each. I reccomend the Country Gentleman model and if you want a lighter one, the Missouri Pride both in bent stem.

As for tobacco you would thoroughly enjoy Petersons Connosseurs Choice. It is an aromatic tobacco with tropical fruit, rum and vanilla flavouring - my first tobacco and favourite aromatic.

Check out aristocob.com for the corn cobs Scott provides great service. You can always buy a briar later, there are some great ones sold on this site and I hope to buy one soon myself.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Tobacco choices are abundant, if looking for something to try. I suggest 1q by lane or scottys butternut burley. Both sold at p&c and both vanilla flavored
If you have a local tobacconist go there and try a blend or 2 after you become comfortable packing and lighting you pipe. They usually let you try before you by on the bulk blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.