PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsflyer84

Lurker
Sep 9, 2012
Hey everyone, I'm very excited to get into pipe smoking, but I'm 28 years old and totally green. I smoke cigars regularly, but I'm looking to make the switch. I have been doing a lot of research, but I can't seem to make up my mind! I'm looking for a good quality, affordable pipe that is fairly middle of the road as far as what you can smoke well in it, so I can try out different blends effectively. I really like the idea of a straight, rustic pipe that I can sit around an autumn campfire with and not worry about it to much. If I like pipe smoking I will quickly grow my collection I'm sure but I want a good knock around to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
P.S. - Some recommendations on tobaccos would be great too!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
A cob or five, some 1Q and every thing else you can get your hands on :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forums

Aug 1, 2012
A Grab bag of Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes and some assorted bulk tobacco from Boswells is another option.

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
I researched a lot before I bought my first pipe, I found that it is a lot like drinking scotch, do what feels right for you. What fits best in your hand and what do you think looks the best to you. My Briarwood was $50 and is fantastic. I suggest going to a shop, picking up pipes and see what you like.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I got this pipe for about 50 bucks. I agree with 1Q tobacco. Prince Albert is another blend that I like, which can be found in a lot of places like Wal-Mart or Walgreens. I'd reccomend Captain Black, but personally, it doesn''t have much flavor despite it's nice aroma. Hope this helps some, and welcome to the forums.

EDIT: The pipe in this picture is a sitting Savinelli

fybd
[/url][/img]

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Can't go wrong with the Missouri Meerschaum Cob. Did you check eBay for some estate pipes? Yello Bole, Kaywoodie, Savinelli, Peterson, GBD, Stanwell...........wow, there are so many good pipes you can get for a good deal to start your collection. Welcome to the forum.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
What I did was buy about 4-5 tobacco types that are typical of their respective type:
  • Orlik Golden Sliced for Virginia[/*]
  • Escudo for Virginia/Perique[/*]
  • Solani Aged Burley Flake for a burley[/*]
  • McClelland 3 Oaks Syrian for Balkan/English/Latakia[/*]
  • Random aromatic for a random aromatic[/*]
and I smoked them in different corn cobs. Some tobaccos are so strong that if you use one pipe to smoke a variety of tobaccos, you may have trouble getting a pure taste of that tobacco. Until you are sure of your tastes, the best route is a bunch of cheap cobs. Make no mistake, cobs deliver a delectable smoke, they're just ugly as sin. Yet, until you're sure what you want to smoke, don't waste money on briars.
That advice is totally free. :lol:

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
eBay for some estate pipes
I would NOT recommend that for a new smoker unless they were ready-to-smoke pipes. I remember starting off and buying my first "lot of estates from someone's grandfather" or what-not and it was a disheartening experience spending hours to clean and work out the bugs from the pipes .....
As Bulldog Mick suggested, I would order perhaps an ounce each of several baccys representative of their types. I prefer buying cobs locally, if you have a B&M ( brick-and-mortar ) tobacco shop, sometimes you can also find them at grocery stores. If not, order a few online with your baccy. Personally, I like the "Legend" and the "Missori Pride" from the Missouri Meerschaum line of cobs.
Baccy-wise, the stuff they sell in foil pouches at grocery/wholesale isn't necessarily high-quality and needs playing with, like letting it dry out. Neither are the pound bags of "great value" so-called "pipe tobacco" which is inferior grade RYO baccy for making your own cigs.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I have not had good luck with a cob personally. i fear that it may turn off a new guy. i know if i had started with a cob, i probably still wouldnt be smoking a pipe. if there is a local B&M to you i would go in and find a nice estate that is ready to smoke. a lot of B&M's are very friendly to new people and the owner/workers are just excited to talk pipes, especially to a newbie if they can impart there knowledge on them. additionally, they will probably let you 'sample' a free bowl of there bulk tobacco just for you stopping in and picking up a pipe. ask if they sell 1Q as it is probably under a different name in bulk. this would be a great starter. i wish i had only found it sooner. again this is all IMHO, YMMV.
Welcome Aboard

mkvillaire

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2012
Definitely get yourself some cobs. I am also still relatively new to this hobby. I have several cobs and a few briars. I am finding that i like smaller bowls and sometims I like filters as well ( veteran pipe smokers are probably cringing on that statement). You never know what you will like until you try. Oh yeah, the Savinelli 6 mm filters fit perfect in those cobs, much nicer than the paper Medico filters.

bcirka

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
I'm a relatively new smoker and have a handful of pipes, mostly briar, of both straight and bent varieties. However, I just picked up a corncob and have found it a delight to smoke (and most fortunately, a delight to the pocketbook). Pick up a few corncobs for cheap, start learning about the different types, and buy a few sampler packs. There's also a "send/trade me a sample" thread on the For Sale/Trade forums in which you may be able to get small samples of different types of tobacco for a trade of a few of yours.

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
Go to MKELAW Pipes, a site sponsor, and click on More Fine Pipes, then Pipes $50 dollars or less, you cannot go wrong.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Will someone please telling me what im doing wrong with my cobs? apparently im the only one not enjoying them.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@gnatjulio .... no harshness was intended on my part, sometimes tones get lost in the typing.
@hawk60ce .... if you smoke your cobs with the filter, it has to be changed after every smoke. If you smoke them without the filter, I, as an ex-cig smoker, have to adjust my draw to a breeze otherwise my mouth gets roasted. The little mini "nose-burner" cobs ..... that takes some skill. I have yet to be able to finish a bowl out of one of those.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you really want to appreciate how good pipe smoking can be, I would suggest investing some money and getting a brand new pipe in the 65-85 dollar price range. I would pick a shape that you like that is about a group 5 size. You don't want something to big or too small. You want something that isn't to heavy, some where around 50-60 grams. This size will provide a good hours smoke. You want a pipe with thicker walls that is properly drilled so you get a cool and dry smoke. This will make your tobacco taste like it should. if you are going to get into this then give yourself the best opportunity to enjoy if from the get go.
You can also get estate pipes that fit this bill, but you want to make sure that they are pristine, meaning they are in excellent shape and are clean. You don't want a dirty pipe you have to refurbish, you will have no idea how to do it, plus a dirty pipe will make the tobacco taste nasty. Give yourself a chance, if you were a cigar smoker than you know how much they cost. For a box of premium cigars, you can buy a great pipe and great tobacco. I was a huge cigar guy for years, and I started with a good Savinelli pipe and I am glad I did. I bought a few cheap pipes after that first Sav and noticed the difference right away, they smoke hot and wet and ruin the smoking experience in my opinion.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i wouldn't tell someone who never smoked a pipe to get an estate pipe. i'd also not recommend buying some house blend out of a bin at a tobacconist, unless you know and trust the guy. i'd say get a mm cob and a pouch of prince albert or carter hall. or buy a savinelli with a vulcanite bit (they have many in the $45 - $60 range). i wouldn't recommend buying some no name basket pipe from a tobacco shop either, if you don't know what to look for yet. even a grabow is good for a first pipe. the tobacco is a little more important. that's why the 2 i mentioned are very middle of the road, easily palatable burleys.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
@rcstan... No harm, bro. The estate pipe and the MM Cob both worked all too well for me. Just wanted to throw the suggestion out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.