PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

t4rhee1

Lurker
Sep 9, 2012
Chances are someone has made a similar post, but I do not feel like looking.
I'm looking for a good first pipe. What got me to consider a pipe? Well, I'm a cigar smoker, mostly cigarillos. I love cigars, but I hate smoking the last inch or so. I'm afraid of getting burned, period. It doesn't matter if it's my cousins rubbing a lighter flame down my leg, or if it's the end of my own cigar, I hate it. So one day I get the bright idea of buying a pipe, cutting open my roach, and finishing it in the pipe. I went online to start researching pipes and found a couple of articles on wikipedia about pipe tobacco. From there I also began to research pipe tobacco. I have become convinced to start smoking pipe tobacco.
I want a billiard, that much I know. However, I do not know what material of pipe I should get or any particulars in brand quality, or anything of the sort. Also, it should go with out saying that I need one for a low price. I would also like to know what affects pipe material has on flavor. Thank you.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Or if you choose a briar, get a "basket pipe" from your local tobacco shop if they have them, or ebay, or this site just got a new sponsor (mkelaw pipes) and he has great deals on estate pipes.
I agree with rothnh, 1Q should be your first choice of tobacco and it's everywhere (mostly), go to your local tobacco shop and get a sample of their bulk, most will let you sample a bowl, at least our's does!
Enjoy and don't give up!!

wolfie90

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2012
Huntington wv
I would personally start with a cob pipe as they are cheap but good smokers. But if you dont care for the looks of them then id go a good estate pipe on ebay. Look for a already cleaned one as it will just be easier on you just starting out. Also id recommend dr grabow or mastercraft for a first briar, good and cheap plus lots of them out there.

bdstansel

Starting to Get Obsessed
I'd concur with the previous nods to a MM Cob. They smoke great and the most affordable new pipe available.
Also, worth considering: Dr. Grabow & Kaywoodie Both of which I have smoked and am comfortable recommending.
There are other, similarly affordable pipes (Yello Bowl, Medico, etc.), but I have personally not tried them and could not recommend something that I have NO first-hand experience with.
Good Luck and enjoy!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I 2nd Mklew estate. He has some good brands in great shape, you can try one and see what style of pipe you enjoy. My tastes did a 180 in my first year of pipe smoking and if you buy estates, you don't lose as much (if any) money when changing up your rack. Read up on smoking/packing & lighting, master those skills early on and your experience will be much more enjoyable. Where are you from?

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
+1 for basket pipe or corncob. For tobacco, since you're already a smoker, you can go with English blends. Ask your tobacconist for samples.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My first pipe was in search of a pipe I could smoke my cigar nubs in. It did not go as intended. I bought an estate Kaywoodie from the mid 60's. I quickly changed my intent and got some real pipe tobacco.

A corn cob is a great first choice as well.

Hope it goes well for you.
Jason

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Definitely agree with 1Q as a first tobacco. It's a light easy anytime aromatic that allows the tobacco to come to the lead from time to time during the smoke.
As for a pipe, if you're diggin' the billiard shape then I'd checkout the basket pipes at a local tobacconist or checkout smokingpipes.com for estates. I usually just sift through their Peterson estates as I'm trying to catch a system pipe on sale, but back to you, they have some estates in good-great condition for affordable prices ($30-$50).
A bit of further advice to assist in your pipe smoking beginnings, check the draw after packing, do a charr light tamp and then another light and slight tamping, and don't forget to occassionally tamp down the ash as this helps to keep the tobacco burning (usually people puff like crazy and get massive tongue bite/burn and it ruins the experience).
Most of all have fun.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I think it would be good to know your budget for your first pipe but I think rothnh hit the nail on the head. Also I have heard smoking remnants of cigars in a pipe tastes really bad.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hi, and welcome to the site. I will take a different route and suggest you get a really nice briar pipe to begin with. I think if you buy something that will provide a really cool and dry smoking experience, you will likely enjoy your tobacco more. Basket pipes will tend to smoke hot and wet and will not provide a good example of how great pipe smoking can be. Here is what I would suggest going with for your first pipe, http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=105216.
I began my career with a Savinelli, and I am glad I did. They are great smokers for the money and this particular example should provide a really good smoke. The size of this one is a small group 5 or large group 4 which should provide a good hour smoke. The walls will be thick enough to give you a cool smoke and the drilling should be good to provide a dry smoke. If you start with something that doesn't give you cool and dry, you are going to say to yourself, what is with these guys, why are they smoking a pipe? If you invest in something of quality in the beginning you will understand how fun this can be.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That is a very nice Savinelli estate Harris! That won't last long at all.
In regard to a really cheap pipe(under $30), two of my early ones, a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke slightly bent and a Hardcastle Straight billiard(ebay estate around $20) are nice smokers.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm with cigrmaster on this one. In for a penny, in for a pound. Starting with a Savinelli is a worthwhile investment. Also, as a fellow cigar smoker, you may be put off by aromatics. You should try them to bo sure but you may want to start with a Virginia flake like Olrik Golden. I'm gussing here, but your cigar pallette is more accustomed to fuller tastes and the aro's may be too light to satisfy you.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
+1 on getting a good quality first pipe. A pipe that you really enjoy looking at and holding will lead to you wanting to smoke it allowing you to perfect packing and smoking, thereby enjoying your smoke more. A cheap pipe will not smoke well off the bat and you will not enjoy smoking it and possibly give up the hobby with a bad taste in your mouth. After your skills are refined you will be able to smoke almost anything enjoyably. Then you can beef up your rotation with cobs and basket pipes or whatever your budget allows. It is very important to like your first pipe, I still have mine although it has been mostly retired from the rotation for a couple years.
My .02

Aug 14, 2012
Don't expect cigar ends to taste that good in a pipe. If I may humbly suggest: throw them out. If you want a pipe anyway, I agree with the guys who suggest a corncob for a first.

southernbriar

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
I am a relatively new pipe smoker also and I started out with a $20 basket pipe. It was OK and it Kind of got my interest. It was a way and helped me stop smoking Cigarettes. It was something to give me the NIC hit and keep my hands busy. I got a Corn Cob next and that was a little better. However, when I smoked from my Savenelli 920 the first time was when it went from something that worked to something that was really enjoyable and relaxing.

t4rhee1

Lurker
Sep 9, 2012
Thanks for the input guys. It helps to get another opinion when starting something new.
I'll definitely look up info on packing and lighting, Al. I'm from Florida, and I don't see many pipe smokers down here. I will check out Mkelaw, thank you. Thank you cigrmaster for the link. That was a beautiful pipe. One of the first sites I looked on when checking prices was smokingpipes.com and they have some beautiful pipes on there. I'll definitely take Savinelli into consideration. As for corncob pipes, they seem really cheap on prices, so as a discriminate buyer I have to wonder whether or not the product is cheap. As for my first smoke, I have been going on tobacco reviews and selecting tobacco at random on the browse by rating 4 star page. Obviously, they're all finer smokes, and stuff that I probably shouldn't start out on. papipeguy, I do enjoy full tasting tobacco. Whenever I had to get a cigarette from my little sister, whom is 15, I'd only be able to smoke half of it because it was Newport menthols. I cannot stand menthol, and much prefer a Marlboro Red if I'm smoking cigarettes. I gravitated more toward cigars with a similar preference of taste. Now, smoking has become more of a habit than something I really enjoy. I want to get that enjoyment from smoking back. Instead of a factual and almost bland "I'm going to smoke." I want that statement to turn into a declaration with a hint of excitement. That's how I used to smoke my cigars. Couldn't wait to unwrap it and light it up merely for the enjoyment of the tobacco. Now, I smoke when I wake up, I smoke before bed, I smoke when I'm stressed out, and I smoke when I'm bored. That's what this has evolved into. It started out with an idea of how to finish my cigars and not have to waste, now I genuinely want to switch to pipe tobacco for enjoyment. People have tried to get me to stop smoking, because it kills people. I know what smoking can do to me. My mother had emphysema. Several people in my family have died of cancer. I understand, but I enjoyed smoking. Now, I want that enjoyment back.
Thanks guys. I really appreciate all of the input on this subject.
Looking back up at this before I post, I've said a lot, some of which I hadn't originally intended to say, but I typed what I felt needed to be said.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
My first few pipes were in the $30 range each. A basket pipe, a Dr Grabow both smoke fine. I moved up the price range to a $50 Butz Choquin and a $90 Stanewll. Looking back I could have got a better qualit pipe for what I spent on two less expensive ones? Yet I learned a lot in the journey threw pipes and tobacco along the way.
I recently picked up a cob for $4 and it smokes great, may not look so sexy dang it's a great little pipe. Cobs are good a good of place as any to start while you learn what you like and while you research pipe brands for a nice briar that will suite you. If you have a pipe shop near you stop in and check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.