Humboldt Tn.
Mine has to be my Ardor Giove 2003

Bought it on the bay, for $275.00 alot less than the 400+ new
ArdorGiove2003_zps543f1b6a.jpg

Tom

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
This Ashton Pebble Grain ELX used to be mine, but it usually retails for about $400. Was a great smoker, but way too big for me. I mostly smoke VA flakes and it would probably take 4-5 flakes to fill that sucker up. (Strangely, ebayer greatestatepipes has sold that very pipe twice -- once to me and then again after I sold it on to someone else.)
images

I like Ashtons, though, and switched to this much smaller XX-sized apple/prince (retail c. $275). Perfect with Solani 633 and Best Brown #2.
ashton-pg-xx-army-001-600x400.jpg

Decent blast w/red undertones:

ashton-pg-xx-army-002-600x400.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Harris, I wouldn't pay retail for a Jody Davis, either, but you got a great deal on that pipe for $400. A real stunner with great grain.
rbittner, your Kai Nielsen is a sweet pipe. Lovely grain with bright bolts of light against dark. Glad to hear you like how it smokes. I'm pretty impressed with the one I picked up -- although I didn't have high hopes for it after realizing it was a 9mm filter pipe. However, a Vauen adapter fixed it up just right and it's one of my best smokers. I'd definitely consider another Kai Nielsen.
Lawrence, you have some real classics there. The Tinsky hexagon calabash, imho, is one of the great pipe shapes of all time -- all that briar must provide a nice, dry smoke.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
My most valuable pipe is a big Perry White, but I really didn't pay a lot for it and it was nearly unsmoked!
DSCF8147_zps25625ca9.jpg

This is the pipe I pay the most for(about a 170$ shipped, and after various fedex fees). It's a Tsuge Bamboo from Alpascia.
DSCF8149_zpsf461219f.jpg

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
My 2 most valuable pipes are both Dunhills that I bought used. I'm not sure what they are worth but based on what Dunhills go for they are sure to be more valuable than my other pipes.

1973 Dunhill Red Bark

img_1942-600x337.jpg

Dunhill Shell: Based on my research, it's dated prior to 1921. It's worn but looks like it has a patent #1914 so I don't know if that is also the date or not.

img_1943-600x337.jpg

I have not smoked the Shell yet and the Red Bark is a great smoker but with only a few bowls under my belt with it, it's to early to tell if it will be my best smoker.
I only paid $35 for the Red Bark!!! Bought the Shell with about 5 other pipes, most in rough shape, for $50!!! They came from a tobacconist who had just bought out an estate collection and I guess he wanted to move them fast.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I guess mine would be my Charatan Executive straight grain billiard, that I bought new in 1966 for $60. It has thick walls and is a cool smoking pipe. It's one of my better smoking pipes.
The other would be a 1957 Dunhill Root Briar Liverpool, which I managed to buy new on an enlisted man's pay in 1963. It's a nice smoker, but I think an Upshall billiard I just got shows promise as being one of my very best smokers.
I"m not sure what is my absolute best smoking pipe. There are several that would be in the running.

rabblerouser

Lurker
Sep 27, 2011
Unlce%27s+stuff+009.jpg

This one (not actually the one in the picture, but a less-used one of the same type). It's a CPF-made meerschaum with a lion's head, and I reckon I paid about $90 for it in an antique shop. Not sure what it's really worth. Of course, with repairs, it really cost upwards of $120 (got shafted by the pipe repairman). The damn stem jiggled loose and, after having it sent out for repairs, it got clogged up in a way that a pipe cleaner can't fix. Makes me want to let out a lion's growl . . . for now, my best smoker remains my K & P Peterson System Pipe (Standard), which I think goes for about $60 normally.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
LOPRings, How do you like the Peterson POY? I think last year's model is particularly attractive -- nice thick walls and an oval shank. Is it a good smoker?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Some great looking pipes guys, thanks for sharing. It seems that the general consensus is that our most expensive pipes are not necessarily our best smokers. We enjoy them as I have not read anywhere that their most expensive is an out right clunker, but it is pretty fair to say that spending a lot does not guarantee the pipe to be the best in their collection.

It is interesting to note that spending a lot of money does no equate to our best pipes, but it does tell us that we are getting very good ones. I also love to see how many of us have gotten some pretty damn good deals, I think as a group we know how to shop and get a lot of bang for our bucks.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
This IS the drool page! Great pipes everyone. My most expensive are my two Dunhill Canadians. They smoke wonderfully but I also have sub-hundred dollar Petersons that smoke just as well. Good topic and discussion Harris.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Of all the pictures, I like Peck's toilet pipe the best. I hope that is just a joke picture since I can not picture you smoking it.
Many of my better pipes were made by Premal Chheda. I also have others by Lee Erck, Bob Swanson (Perry White), Savinelli special Christmas pipes, Dunhill, Rad Davis and many others. Most are unsmoked but I do not smoke so I can not provide any information on how they smoke. I started by collecting GBD pipes in memory of my dad but just kept adding other brands that I found.
I am glad to be a member of this forum. My disability does not allow me to get out and about often so I enjoy reading the postings and responding. I appreciate the friendships I have made along the way as well.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
@Harris
I think as a group we know how to shop and get a lot of bang for our bucks.
True, true.
@Bentmike: My most expensive are my two Dunhill Canadians. They smoke wonderfully but I also have sub-hundred dollar Petersons that smoke just as well. Good topic and discussion Harris.
Very interesting. I keep hearing comments like that. I think I may have gotten incredibly lucky with my Dunhill, which is significantly better than all of my other pipes.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
1953 Dunhill Patient. I bought it for $50.00 and spent hours and hours and hours getting it into smoking condition. They tell me it is worth $300.00-$400.00, but I never really looked into it. It is a terrific smoker and I have to be carefull not to "over smoke it".
002-12.jpg

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
cigrmaster, I'm not sure about Bond. I've checked prices for high-end Petersons, they were substantially lower than on Smokingpipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.