PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
My three WW 1 Barlings and my James Upshall E-grade XL Lovat. I won't say how much they cost me, but I was pleased to get each for less than $1000.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I feel like a piker. Growley Zulu:

img_0766-copy.jpg

Beneath that, everything is two digits. Cheapest 3 for $10 bought from a basket at Iwan Ries in the 70's

nscoyote

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2013
i ma single full time dad on a medical pension supplemented by the odd bike repair job, juggling dad expenses with a nasty harley habit expensive and pipes dont go well together for me LOL. my most expensive is on the left a $9.95+ 15% tax MM Cob, the one on the right is an $8 synthetic * bake lite i think...* made in china pipe

1374345_10153354722925246_1297868113_n.jpg

thats the extent of my pipe collection right now. but im pinching pennies an hoping i'll have the coin for a commissioned pipe here shortly

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
vikingz, that is an awesome looking Karsten, love the shape, the stain, the grain and the stem work. I have not heard much about that artisan so please let us know how it smokes for you.
chris, I remember when you stole that Rad, nice to hear you enjoy how it smokes.
jkenp, that is a great looking Growley, I have been watching his work for a while now and he is developing nicely. I think he has a great future as a pipe maker and I will one day own a pipe of his. Does that pipe smoke bone dry meaning have you ever needed a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture? One of the features of all my Rad's is that they have never needed a pipe cleaner for moisture even if I am outside walking my dog in 90% humidity.

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
Woow some really excellent pipes here, and some clever people knowing how to buy ;-)
I'll have to take some pics but here is one of my most expensive
qtez.jpg

Castello Collection GreatLine Fiammata

(this baby can go very high...I've seen some well over 1500 usd..got mine estate almost unsmoked , probably an expensive gift that wasn't really appreciated)
I'll have to take pics of a SerJacopo Granato Fiamma L3 and a Charatan Supreme of Lane Era

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Does that pipe smoke bone dry meaning have you ever needed a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture?
Harris,
It has been a dry smoker. It also has a very wide open draw. I have only one pipe its equal in that regard. I think they both polish out the innards. That'd seal the smoke path from a lot of the adsorption that goes on.
I think I recall Rad being his mentor; so, I'd guess there would be striking similarities.
I bought it to support the adoption.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jkenp, that is great to hear his pipes smoke bone dry, it is my biggest pet peeve with my pipes along with a well made stem. If he did mentor under Rad, that is a very good thing. Rad is a stickler for making sure that no turbulence happens in the stem or shank, which is a leading cause for a wet smoker. How are Brian's stems are they flat and very comfy?
castellarius, that pipe is a beauty, I love the looks of those Greatlines, they are just too big for my tastes. I once owned a KK Fiamatta shape 49 that I wish I never sold, it was a fantastic smoker that I got a great deal on. Traded a guy a box of 1998 Cuban RYJ Churchill's I was into for about 225.00.

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
True, they are rather big pipes. Bigger than a 9s of Peterson for instance. They definetly aren't pipes to take around, they are pipes to smoke sitting in your armchair. I smoke it when working in my private studio, as it can stand alone in the desk. It can last a couple oh hours, so I only smoke light tobaccos in it. :)
If I remember well I paid mine around 500 eur, I knew that finding such a pipe estate almost unsmoked was very hard so I pulled the trigger.
Do you also smoke cubans ? I sometimes smoke some Toscano cigar, when a pipe is practically impossible.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
castellarius, I used to be huge into Cuban cigars and had a collection of approximately 3000 at one time but now I have about 150 left and have not smoked one in over 2 years. I sold off my collection in 09 and have not gotten back into it. I pretty much stay away from them so I do not get that itch again. It was a very expensive habit.
That is a great price you paid for the Castello, very smart move jumping on it when you did.

Dec 24, 2012
I guess my most expensive would be one of My Cookes, though I also have a couple of Castello Fiamattas that I believe retail for over a grand.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Harris, I have found the stem quite comfortable. It close to a nose warmer. The button feels lovely.
img_0764-copy.jpg

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
bjarne-nielson-450x600.jpg

My most expensive so far has been this little Bjarne Nielson bamboo. I picked it up with a fitted case awhile back for a 125.00. I have a 1968 Dunhill Billiard which is my birth year on the way though and it cost me more. So it would be my most expensive so far but I have not had the chance to smoke it yet.

qmechanics

Lurker
Dec 17, 2012
Kansas
Hi

I am not sure but my Randy Wiley Ovation W5 (Wiley Ovation pipes are actually graded;W5 is the highest grade of all) might be the most expensive of the lot.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm really guessing but It would be a toss up between a 1926 Dunhill, a 1970s era Savinelli Giubileo D'Oro (I was told they were comparable to Dunhill root briars back then) and a Akdoula Meerschaum.
v8JbCAM.jpg

cbAMyUq.jpg

iu13QB0.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Up until I got this pipe by Bo Nordh, the Sixten Ivarsson Craggy Prince with bamboos shank held top spot, a beautiful Apple shape with Buffalo Horn accent that happened to be one of Bo’s personal pipes as well.

banjo
34571972381_bbf74774d2_z_d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.