PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Whoa whoa whoa. I said I kind of want it. Not I kind of want to buy it, haha.

I have way too much good tobacco I’ll likely never live to smoke to be adding shitty tobacco I’ll likely never smoke again in this life or the next.

It’d be interesting to try though. You know, change my whole perspective on shit, as Hansel would say.
I don't know what the fuss is about. It was a Lakeland style, and not bad at all.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
There for a long time, actually up until two or three years ago on here, that was the reaction to all Lakelands. Ennerdale lovers were the forum's pariahs.
Meh. In a lifetime everybody is a pariah in somebody’s eyes at some point for some reason. It’s all in the mind of the accuser anyway. Fluid with time and place like any other label.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Meh. In a lifetime everybody is a pariah in somebody’s eyes at some point for some reason. It’s all in the mind of the accuser anyway. Fluid with time and place like any other label.
It was much like the Mixture 79 stigma. Folks were afraid to even try it. "It has bad reviews"! "It will ghost a pipe"! I tried it, talked it up, bought several pounds, several tried it, and many liked it.

geo4

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2019
There are plenty of good Lakeland blends. But Holly's Non Plus Ultra is sour, polluted Lakeland. Sort of like that five buck a minute Limey woman some guys pick up when the lights go up at 2 a.m. in the bar.

That's $300 an hour. She sounds like a good earner to me. (Just to be clear, I've never tried this tobacco, or a $5/minute woman)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
It was much like the Mixture 79 stigma. Folks were afraid to even try it. "It has bad reviews"! "It will ghost a pipe"! I tried it, talked it up, bought several pounds, several tried it, and many liked it.
I do have some of that on hand. Figured it was worth a shot at that price. Mixed reviews and what not. I’ll have to try it soon.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Gawith and Hoggarth 's Louisiana Flake was pretty bad. I bought it in bulk and I'm aware that G&H's tobaccos can be cross contaminated and I can only hope my sample was as it tasted like burning carpet underlay.

Probably on my own here but HH Old Dark Fired, I just found it incredibly dull and boring

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian.
Although a mixture of high quality, the combination kentucky-latakia doesn't work for me.
Two different kinds of smokiness pulling at different directions.
I like both but not together.

Borkum Riff Cherry.
Artificial, sharp, cheap, a false ingratiation.
The typical beginner's mistake tobacco resulting in disappointment and tongue burn.

Last edited:

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian.
Although a mixture of high quality, the combination kentucky-latakia doesn't work for me.

Echoing Autumnfog. I agree completely and for that reason had the same immediate distaste for E.S. 4th Gen 1882 Founder's Blend and H&H Black House. I thought maybe I just didn't like Kentucky.
Also detested McClelland Syrian Full Balkan. Fortunately it was easy to get rid of.

Reactions: tomnernas2ndson

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
I think this is going to offend some of you, but I absolutely hate Presbyterian mixture. I like English and Balkan blends so I figured I would give it a shot (even though it doesn't have a lot of latakia) and it is the only tobacco that I have tried recently where I have had to quit halfway through the bowl. It just tastes like old hay and burns the tongue. I have tried to smoke a bowl about 4 different times now and I still hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.