New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several threads on favorite blends but I thought it would be interesting to hear what blends you all simply Do. Not. Like.

I will start.

CAO Cherry Bomb.

This stuff to me tastes like I am smoking Vick's Cough Syrup. The tin note is nice and the room note is pleasant but I just can't abide the terrible chemical taste. I am okay with Cherry blends on occasion, just not this one.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
GL Pease The Virginia Cream, not the worst, just boring and not up to the high expectations other GLP blends command.

CD Autumn Evening. Not horrible or anything, but despite it's wonderful room note, I find it rather bland for an aromatic.

F&T Cut VA Plug. I know, crazy right? I have the remainder of a tin sitting in the cellar, we'll see what a little age does for it, but as of now, I much prefer their Blackjack.

Esoterica Blackpool. My least favorite Eso so far, smoked hot, ashy, and thin.

I will smoke all of these again, they weren't detestable, just far from great.

Although my least favorite of all so far, I hate to say, is HU Sissinghurst. I like Lakelands and other stuff with some floral essence, but this one just did NOT do it for me.

Borkum Riff Whisky, ew... just ew.
Mixture 79... I am glad that we have members here that passionately like this blend, but it just doesn't bode well with my stomach.
I like some Lakelands, some are even favorites, but Errendale... and Kendal Flake... I just couldn't smoke them. I was never able to smoke an entire bowl.
Anything with cloves, mint, or menthol... blech!

There is a not a single non-aromatic that I couldn't at least find some enjoyment in. In these that I just can't smoke, it is always the added element that disgusts me.

But, I am glad that someone likes them.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
I've only had one tobacco I didn't care for, and I'm going back for a second try this Saturday. Black Frigate. I may just not have been in the right mood last time. I found that can be the case with my Navy Flake that was once my favorite so I figure I might as well try it again to be sure.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Lane 1-Q. I don't think it's bad at all for an aromatic, but my two oz have sat in a jar for quite a while, rarely touched. Cavendish aromatics just stopped interesting me after about a year of smoking. I find the flavors of tobacco itself to be far richer and more satisfying

Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut. Maybe I just need to give this more of a chance, but it's rather mild, with some of that same aromatic Cavendish character that I just don't care for

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
003-397-0008.jpg

OMG, this stuff is just a mouthful of nasty burnt chipped beef left out to burn on the campfire near Chernobyl. The Latakia that's was too overwhelming for my palate and I didn't enjoy the flake consistency. (I hope my secret Santa like lat blends this year!)

I am also not a fan of lane1-Q, sutlif 1-M, or cult blood red moon. Not pleasant or desirable to me, I keep them jarred up for someone who maybe interested to try a pipe but others I don't smoke'em.

Those aros were recommended via the muttenchop piper...could not have been more wrong for me...but live and you learn!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not fussy or particularly critical minded and can find something to enjoy about a wide array of blends and different genre. That said, my least enjoyable experience has been with a holiday blend or two, aromatics with "holiday" flavoring, maybe some cinnamon and other hot burning chemicals that made my mouth sting. I liked the smoking to a degree, but it wasn't worth the "afterglow." I won't name brands. It was several years ago or more, and I could get them wrong, but they were premium brands in fancy packages. When I brushed my teeth after smoking, the peppermint really made my tongue and gums hurt all over again. I've come back to aromatics a little, but non-aros are my "thing." I seldom have a problem with even full strength blends that aren't otherwise flavored. A little nic buzz now and then is a treat in moderation.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I am a finicky eater and tend to be the same with tobacco selection. If a blend does not have the constituent tobaccos and/or topping that I would favor, I just avoid it. That being said, I have well over 250 blends (I really do need to do that inventory) and I don’t own a one that I could say that I out and out hate or don’t believe that it might improve with a little age. Though I am trying to focus on cellaring deep, I am still finding it difficult to not explore new blends. This leads me to the topic. I definitely did not love GLP Penny Farthing. I am hoping that time will perform its wonders on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.