Your Hidden Gem Tobaccos! Time to Share ‘Em.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One man's (or woman's) hidden gem is another's barnyard sweepings. Right now, I like Potlatch (SPC) a lot. Did I already say that?

Reactions: SpookedPiper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I don't see a need for anybody to be greedy and/or paranoid about this, particularly those sitting on a decent cellar. At a minimum there are easily several hundred fantastic tobaccos out there that can be purchased nearly every day of the year in any reasonable quantity desired. The problem for me is finding the time to regularly enjoy my favorites while also exploring the vast abundance of interesting blends I'd like to try. Getting my hands on something to put in my pipe that will surely satisfy is a complete and total non issue. This is the golden age of pipe tobacco. Enjoy and be content. Glass half full. Life is good. Thanks to those who shared.
The operative phrase being "those sitting on a decent cellar".

Not that I think that things will ever get as bad in the U.S. as it is in Nanny State Australia, be sure that the rabid anti-smoking rabble pressure govts to come down hard on tobacco.
Government just loves an excuse to squeeze even more money from constituents & using health statistics from cigarette smoking to tar all tobacco is a useful excuse to do so.

50 grams of tobacco is now over $110. There's two more indentured hikes this year, so it's only going to get worse.

So the way I see it, it would be wise to stock a healthy cellar while one still can. Then, if money allows, add to the cellar with future trading in mind for the poor bastards who've missed out.
As a community we need to all stick together & help one another out when/if we can because we can be certain that our authorities wont.

I've been living with a rare 'terminal' illness for over 20 years that has killed 12 other patients whom I've known, all within 3 years after diagnosis.
I'm under no illusions that I could go downhill at any time.
So I've written strict instructions for my executor on how to sell off my cellar at reasonable cost so that my tobacco will be enjoyed by others rather than go to waste.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I really forgot about F&K lancer slices really blows my mind how nobody really talks about this blend. Also it’s bulk tobacco.
I've got 4 ounces jarred. It's a touch too strong in the nicotine for me as I only smoke blends with mild Vit N [Not that it's loaded. I'm now a lightweight since I avoid it. JimInks wrote "The nic hit is a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium"]

It was one of those blends that I really wanted to try.
It's very tasty stuff that I smoke occasionally fully rubbed in a small bowl.

Reactions: Bowie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Being a burley lover, I have a special place in my rotation for the original C&D Old Joe Krantz. There are three or four additional versions now that I may get around to trying, but the original is always a treat.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
The operative phrase being "those sitting on a decent cellar".

Not that I think that things will ever get as bad in the U.S. as it is in Nanny State Australia, be sure that the rabid anti-smoking rabble pressure govts to come down hard on tobacco.
Government just loves an excuse to squeeze even more money from constituents & using health statistics from cigarette smoking to tar all tobacco is a useful excuse to do so.

50 grams of tobacco is now over $110. There's two more indentured hikes this year, so it's only going to get worse.

So the way I see it, it would be wise to stock a healthy cellar while one still can. Then, if money allows, add to the cellar with future trading in mind for the poor bastards who've missed out.
As a community we need to all stick together & help one another out when/if we can because we can be certain that our authorities wont.

I've been living with a rare 'terminal' illness for over 20 years that has killed 12 other patients whom I've known, all within 3 years after diagnosis.
I'm under no illusions that I could go downhill at any time.
So I've written strict instructions for my executor on how to sell off my cellar at reasonable cost so that my tobacco will be enjoyed by others rather than go to waste.

First I am at the same time sorry to hear about your condition and yet happy for your 20 years of still living and I am praying for another 20 more!

Next, I agree totally with your theory about stocking a healthy cellar while we can. Makes me sick when I think of $100 AUD per tin. It also makes me not so upset about Florida's 85% excise tax on pipe tobacco (tins are basically double what the are online in B&Ms). I am using this year to add tobaccos I know I like along with various virginias (as they age well regardless) to my meger cellar. Not to gouge in the future but to have a future of pipes smoking for me and my friends.

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
First I am at the same time sorry to hear about your condition and yet happy for your 20 years of still living and I am praying for another 20 more!

Next, I agree totally with your theory about stocking a healthy cellar while we can. Makes me sick when I think of $100 AUD per tin. It also makes me not so upset about Florida's 85% excise tax on pipe tobacco (tins are basically double what the are online in B&Ms). I am using this year to add tobaccos I know I like along with various virginias (as they age well regardless) to my meger cellar. Not to gouge in the future but to have a future of pipes smoking for me and my friends.
Thanks Grumpy.
To be honest I don't fear death [just the process a little] I've seen over 15 of my past lives & helped others to see hundreds of theirs. Physical death is just a new beginning.
In actual fact I was looking forward to passing over a little more than what might be considered healthy so I recently brought home a GSD rescue. He survived death row twice because he kept biting people.
He had been isolated, neglected & beaten his first 2 years of life. Now that I'm responsible for him [as no-one else can handle him] I figure I'm here for at least the next 10 years.
That will bring me to 70yo. That'll do me just fine : )

85% sounds huge but I guess it's all relative.
Heavy taxes start having negative effects that defeat the intended purpose.
Black market tobacco [known as chop-chop] here is huge business. It does not pass quarantine checks. Just a few insect eggs could decimate agriculture here. Smokers are getting drug-resistant lung infections from smoking chop-chop that's been brought back to case improperly.
Plus it's making criminals rich, many with ties to terrorist groups.

People will always smoke regardless. Heavy taxes & prohibition never works.
Smokers are just easy targets.

Reactions: artvandelay007
Status
Not open for further replies.