Your Hidden Gem Tobaccos! Time to Share ‘Em.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Mixture 79 and Holly's Non Plus Ultra
I'd love to try some Non Plus Ultra. If anyone has a lead on some, please ping me. SP and Esterval doesn't even list it any more.

Mixture 79 ain't what it used to be, but Perretti's No Name is a dead ringer for the old 79, I think. Now, that's a hidden "gem."

As for other gems that may not be so hidden, what's happened to the G.L. Pease fan club (of which I'm one)? For a while he was the golden boy who could do not wrong, and folks sang the praises of his blends whenever he introduced a new one. Does he simply need a new publicist?

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
F&K lancers slices isn’t as popular as I would have thought. But I can’t think of any blends I like as sleeper blends. I love Germains rich dark flake, just a pain to get. Always seems available in the UK - getting someone to ship it to me, and then the duty added just adds to the effort and annoyance.
I would like McConnell Scottish cake to be more widely available though, same with Robert Lewis Tree Mixture

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Yeh, my experience with this type of thing was a few years ago, you could find Astley 109 everywhere. It was never out of stock. I posted about it being the first Virginia to give me that "Aha!" moment of "getting" the flavors of Virginias. And, within a week, no one had Astleys 109 in stock, and I have yet to see it come back to where it was before I opened my mouth.
Coincidence? maybe... I just started smoking 44 instead, because it was always in stock also... But, then Harris started listing Astley's 44 as a great Virginia... Look for either of those. You'll see what I mean.
I see no other solution than to let the public know the truth... Astleys 44 and 109 are overrated crap. :ROFLMAO:

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Some blends that I can surely don't see talked about often are GL Pease Stratford and C&D Sunset Harbor Flake.

Stratford just barely jumps the fence as a Va/Per. It's mostly Virginais, but the perique added is kind of like accidentally knocking over the salt shaker and some of it lands into the soup pot. It's barely there, and it's such an easy ribbon blend to work with.

Sunset Harbor Flake for some reason, hasn't taken off. It's a Balkan blend that contains no Virginia's, which not may blends do these days. I recently made a nice purchase of tins and can't wait to see what a few years does to them. Also, Mike Murphy from the PipeandTamper podcast seems to love this blend too.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Stokkebye 312 Toasted Burley

Seconded! I tripped over this one reading reviews and picked up the last few bulk ounces from SP.com. It’s a broken flake that practically smokes itself right out of the bag, has a great nutty burley flavour that’s sweetened just enough not to be bitter or rough. It goes with coffee like nothing else I’ve tried. A one-note burley that picked just the right note for me.

I’m hoping that it’s the same when it gets restocked.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Seconded! I tripped over this one reading reviews and picked up the last few bulk ounces from SP.com. It’s a broken flake that practically smokes itself right out of the bag, has a great nutty burley flavour that’s sweetened just enough not to be bitter or rough. It goes with coffee like nothing else I’ve tried. A one-note burley that picked just the right note for me.

That one appears to have been discontinued with a few other Stokkebye blends.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
One of my B&M friends gave me a bowl full of Comoy's Cask #4. I thought it was a great VA flake. Easily found in tin and bulk.

It's rumored to have perique in there but good luck finding it. Maybe it's enough to add character but not flavor.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
One I don't see mentioned much is GLP Navigator. It is one of my favorites and once it gets some age on it I find it exquisite.
I will second this one. I bought all of my Navigator in 2012 and it has aged really nicely. The sharp edges from the Kentucky has really smoothed out making this very tasty.

Other blends that are available that people might be missing out on is Solani 633 and 660. Both are excellent blends.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN

I’m trying hard not to comment on every post, but I completely agree on good old PS 312 Toasted Burley. It was my answer on the previous “Deserted Island” thread. Delicious simple burley with a delightfully sweet and nutty (slightly-earthy) undertone. And I completely agree: no rough edges yet it’s very ‘present’ (you know you’re smoking tobacco), smooth and creamy, doesn’t need a lot of fuss and bother to smoke, can very easily be an all-day and with a decent amount of N.

?

Status
Not open for further replies.