Your Hidden Gem Tobaccos! Time to Share ‘Em.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And even if they were, it's not as if they aren't hoarding and/or scalping enough already!
I would agree with that if the subject was about "the usual suspects", but this is about good blends that don't get attention and aren't "stars". A topic we happily used to share about here. Scalpers prices are reserved for a relatively few star blends lusted over by idiots. Your beloved "Joisey Spaghetti with Meat Sauce", "Autumn Armpit", or "Smegma Deluxe Crumb Cut" ain't never gonna qualify.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I would agree with that if the subject was about "the usual suspects", but this is about good blends that don't get attention and aren't "stars". A topic we happily used to share about here. Scalpers prices are reserved for a relatively few star blends lusted over by idiots. Your beloved "Joisey Spaghetti with Meat Sauce", "Autumn Armpit", or "Smegma Deluxe Crumb Cut" ain't never gonna qualify.

The Smegma Deluxe isn't nearly as creamy and pungent since switching to it's current blender.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I never fail to be surprised by all the blends I’ve yet to try. I’ll look around in my cellar and think “Nice! It’s reasonably wide and approaching the depth I want.”

Then in a thread like this I’m reminded that I’m dwarfed by what I don’t even know about! Which is a good thing.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I don't see a need for anybody to be greedy and/or paranoid about this, particularly those sitting on a decent cellar. At a minimum there are easily several hundred fantastic tobaccos out there that can be purchased nearly every day of the year in any reasonable quantity desired. The problem for me is finding the time to regularly enjoy my favorites while also exploring the vast abundance of interesting blends I'd like to try. Getting my hands on something to put in my pipe that will surely satisfy is a complete and total non issue. This is the golden age of pipe tobacco. Enjoy and be content. Glass half full. Life is good. Thanks to those who shared.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Much of what I smoke are blends that haven't received any raves on Forums, not because I ignore suggestions, recommendations, and reviews, but because I shop by considering the constituent tobaccos and trying those that sound appealing to my tastes. A few I haven't heard discussed much are:

PS Amsterdam
Iwan Ries Three Star Blue
C&D Tuggle Hall
PC Home and Hearth Midtown blend Chestnut
Briar Works Country Lawyer
Spilman Mixture

There are a number of others, but that's a sampling. Alternately, blends I've selected from Forums prompts include GLP Haddo's Delight, Mixture No. 79, Black Frigate, and Edward G. Robinson, but there are a number of others.

Yeh, my experience with this type of thing was a few years ago, you could find Astley 109 everywhere. It was never out of stock. I posted about it being the first Virginia to give me that "Aha!" moment of "getting" the flavors of Virginias. And, within a week, no one had Astleys 109 in stock, and I have yet to see it come back to where it was before I opened my mouth.
Coincidence? maybe... I just started smoking 44 instead, because it was always in stock also... But, then Harris started listing Astley's 44 as a great Virginia... Look for either of those. You'll see what I mean.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'll generally share what I like because I want others to have the same chance to enjoy the same pleasures I get from certain blends. The scalpers and hoarders are going to do their thing, and while it frustrates me, I doubt there's any secrets left.

I don't know if these are hidden gems, but I think they're great and they don't pop up a lot in discussions as far as I can tell

Watch City Flake #558 and Old Dominion
GLP Embarcadero
C&D Oak Alley

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Autumn Armpit. Now that's funny. Is it by Captain Black or C&D?

I think Country Squire's Honey Rose is a sleeper hit. Surprised it's not mentioned more.

My gem right now is Country Squire's Old Toby. Can't get enough of that stuff. Not subtle at all, but that's the point. It's not an aro...it's an ARO!

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I don't see a need for anybody to be greedy and/or paranoid about this, particularly those sitting on a decent cellar. At a minimum there are easily several hundred fantastic tobaccos out there that can be purchased nearly every day of the year in any reasonable quantity desired. The problem for me is finding the time to regularly enjoy my favorites while also exploring the vast abundance of interesting blends I'd like to try. Getting my hands on something to put in my pipe that will surely satisfy is a complete and total non issue. This is the golden age of pipe tobacco. Enjoy and be content. Glass half full. Life is good. Thanks to those who shared.
Hear, hear!!!

Reactions: diamondback

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Drew Estate's Gatsby Flake.....it's discontinued but I found some this week at B&M using google and my phone.
No kidding, great job and I agree that Gatsby Flake is a good one.

Someone already mentioned it and it has great reviews but is not talked about much and that is H&H Viprati.

Reactions: diamondback

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
The part of me that seeks affirmation for my believed good taste conflicts with my desire to continue to stock my ‘favorites’ deeper. I don’t see these mentioned (really, ever) and I continue to hoard (I mean cellar) these.
VaPer- Castello Fiammata
Balkan - Sutliff Balkan II
VA - 4th Generation 1855

If these proceed to disappear, it will be the last time that I put vanity ahead of charity ?

Oct 7, 2016
Samuel Gawith Sam’s Flake. Pretty much stays in stock longer than other Gawith tins (not available in boxes in the US.) Available now at CupoJoes, Iwan Ries, Tobacco Pipes, perhaps others. I have, in some people’s opinions, plenty, but I usually add 5 or 10 tins at each drop, so I have mixed feelings about sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.