Your Experience with Bit Grips/Softy Bits?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
I use "Maxfashion Rubber Tobacco Pipe Tip Grips" that I bought from Amazon in a 12-pack. They work fine. A little tight, but they stay in place. I use them primarily for my Upshalls to preserve the original stems, which tend to be a bit softer than most other vulcanite stems. Worth the price.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
They're a god send for clenching heavier pipes. That said I don't like them if I'm holding the pipe up to my mouth, just kind of unpleasant thing to wrap your lips around.

So for heavier pipes I'll push them about 3/4 of inch up the stem so I can still clench on to it if need be but it's otherwise out of the way.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
After many smokes and much experimentation, this is my conclusion:
Not all pipes benefit from the use of bit grips, but some pipes do benefit greatly.
Softy grips, rubber and US made, are the most comfortable and durable.
Silicone grips are not for me.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I prefer Softy bits to the BJ Long bits. The Softys have rounded ends and come in several sizes. No rubber taste at all with either brand.
Some of my pipes don't clench well even with a rubber bit, due to the shape of the stem and shape/weight of the pipe. They work better for some pipes than for others.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This tape is made of Polyvinyl Chloride. Some say, don't put it in your mouth 😱
I can't tolerate the "softy bits" so I have to use tape...but you're right about the polyvinyl chloride, so what I've started doing is adding a layer of the below (allegedly) non-toxic adhesive tape over the top of the non-adhesive vinyl tape.

It works well for me because it's even more comfortable than the vinyl tape and the adhesive also helps to hold the vinyl in place.

Or if you don't mind putting the adhesive directly on the stem you can do without the vinyl altogether.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I tried them when i first got into pipe smoking, i got all the little things and gadgets to try out, the flatted steal mesh balls for the bottom of the bowl, soft bits, you name it i tried it. I didn't really like the bits then I figured out I'm a holder not a clenched so it didn't matter anyway.

Reactions: hoipolloiglasgow

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I've recently made a way around all of this by ordering all my custom briars with an additional stem. It doesn't cost that much extra. Then you have one to beat up on and a looker years from now.

Last edited:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I never used bits before. When I got my new Peterson I decided to try to preserve the stem so I just use a larger silicone straw and cut off about an inch to slip over the stem. If it tears or gets discolored I replace it. Its cheap and it works. If I pull it a bit further over the P-Lip draft hole it acts like a fishtail. Still experimenting.