Your Experience with Bit Grips/Softy Bits?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I like the idea, but my experience with them isn't the best. I'm generally not a clencher, but sometimes it's a nice option to have if I need to free up my hands.

I don't want to leave tooth clatter on my stems, and I only have acrylic stems. To me, acrylic isn't uncomfortable to clench, but softer is a little more comfortable (just don't want to deal with extra maintenance of vulcanite, though I know some have vulcanite that's apparently immune to oxidation, but I also keep my pipes in the open air on the mantle, not in a box in a drawer).

So I did try some soft bits. They're a little bit uncomfortable, they'll fit all my pipes except my Chacom 871 (it has a pretty stout stem and bit). Problem for me was two fold. First, they make the bit too thick, which is a little more awkward for clenching. The second thing, is they cause me to drool because of how big they make the stem/bit. They're also all too soft in my opinion, but then if they were harder/more firm, they might be a huge pita to get on to the bit.

I'd consider the non-adhesive vinyl self-stick tape option before considering the bit grips. They're a good idea, just all of them are too thick. With the vinyl tape, you can protect the stem while being able to adjust how soft and/or thick you want it by just wrapping more, but wrapping less will give you a more normal bit feel.
Yeah, my little Chacom 996 has a 21mm wide bit, among the widest in my collection! Great pipe btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: sardonicus87

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I tried the rubber softy bits but found that the pipe bounced a bit which strained my jaw and made it harder to clench. So then I tried the dry vinyl tape but found that it unraveled, which felt sloppy. I've never tried the vinyl bits but I see no reason to do so. Fortunately, I don't find acrylic stems uncomfortable. My original reason for trying bit protectors was to protect vulcanite bits from tooth chatter. Ironically, the collected saliva dulled the vulcanite and stained it white. I'm willing to live with a little tooth chatter on my vulcanite stems. As others have said, the pipe bits are not expensive so there is no downside to trying with them.

G-beard

Lurker
Nov 20, 2023
I use them on all my pipes. I rinse them with water and apply a small amount of my homemade stem ointment (combo of beeswax and mineral oil) to the stem and the bit and have never had an off taste. Reapplication every once in a while keeps them from drying out. I have never experienced the salivating issue, but since multiple respondants have mentioned this, it must be a thing. I wonder why? Interesting.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Thank you for this. How are they better? Specifically.
My opinion only but they are more durable, and most importantly don’t have an old tire rubber taste of the others. After a smoke or two you don’t taste or notice anything other than how easy it is to clench. I don’t use them on all my pipes but it makes a huge difference for my Peterson 106 Army.

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
I use the rubber bits on a few pipes that have slipped while clenching. I use one all the time on an estate pipe that has a hole in the stem. Smoke used to escape and now it does not.

As far as cleaning, just a simple washing with dishsoap or grain based alcohol keeps it clean.

Jan 29, 2024
Boston Ma
cmonman.com
"A rubber cover for the end of the stem, to prevent stem damage. Some people find these easier to grip and more comfortable than acrylic or vulcanite stems, especially while driving."

I do believe I will try these -- for comfort, as well as for protection of both vulcanite and acrylic stems.
I have found for sale China-made rubber grips of diameters 10mm, 11mm, 12mm.
Also, USA made SOFTY grips in small, medium, large.
And a few other brands, including silicon grips, and clear rubber grips.

Anyone care to share experience with any of the above? Durability?

I have previously ignored these because they are often mis-marketed as specifically for denture wearers.
View attachment 289654
I use them on my out of doors walking pipes they work well also for driving where you can’t really hold the bowl with your hand as I prefer when at home if your over clenching they will let you know without wreaking havoc on your stems image.jpg