Your Experience with Bit Grips/Softy Bits?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I put them on all my pipes to lessen the chance of a damaging drop and for the comfort of not having to clench too hard. Longevity is good provided you smoke them, otherwise they tend to dry out. I replace them about every year or so. I will say, the one-size-fits-all models do not work on p-lips but I solved that problem by getting rid of them (the p-lips).

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
If you are damaging pipes you need to use them or some heavy tape as mentioned. Its not worth it to ruin a good pipe you like. I used them for a while because I didnt care for the feel of acrylic stems. I got used to them and so I quit using them on most pipes. I still use them on a couple of larger pipes that are heavy to briefly clench. They do feel big so if I were inclined to keep using them Id probably try some heavy tape. I never got any taste from the ones that are silicone.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I used to use them on almost all of my pipes. They help keep teeth marks to a minimum and can help with clenching for long periods. I don't use them as much as I used to because, well, I just don't like clenching for long periods. I'm a wet smoker, so I prefer to just hold my pipe when I'm not drawing from it. I also prefer pipes with a generous bend, and when I do clench those, I find the extra grip from the rubber bit only helps so much. Now, with a straight pipe or ones that are especially top-heavy, I still use the rubber bits.

I think everyone owes it to themselves to at least try them. They are super cheap, so you're not out much if you don't like them. But they can be a big help to some people.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I like the idea, but my experience with them isn't the best. I'm generally not a clencher, but sometimes it's a nice option to have if I need to free up my hands.

I don't want to leave tooth clatter on my stems, and I only have acrylic stems. To me, acrylic isn't uncomfortable to clench, but softer is a little more comfortable (just don't want to deal with extra maintenance of vulcanite, though I know some have vulcanite that's apparently immune to oxidation, but I also keep my pipes in the open air on the mantle, not in a box in a drawer).

So I did try some soft bits. They're a little bit uncomfortable, they'll fit all my pipes except my Chacom 871 (it has a pretty stout stem and bit). Problem for me was two fold. First, they make the bit too thick, which is a little more awkward for clenching. The second thing, is they cause me to drool because of how big they make the stem/bit. They're also all too soft in my opinion, but then if they were harder/more firm, they might be a huge pita to get on to the bit.

I'd consider the non-adhesive vinyl self-stick tape option before considering the bit grips. They're a good idea, just all of them are too thick. With the vinyl tape, you can protect the stem while being able to adjust how soft and/or thick you want it by just wrapping more, but wrapping less will give you a more normal bit feel.

Jul 12, 2011
I had used them for a moment in time, then I got the 411 from a few Masters out there stating - We spend a lot of time on stem work, button, etc. - you will lose all that by putting rubbers on the stem ( save the rubbers for the other pipe - puffy ) ,

Since then I haven't used them, destroyed two stems in 15yrs due to Dragon~jaw crunch'in , so all in all a good run even after I crunched a few stems I wouldn't go back to using them - just ease back on the clench or if you plan on re-selling then a good idea to use them to protect stem from teeth marks, etc.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I put them on all my pipes to lessen the chance of a damaging drop and for the comfort of not having to clench too hard. Longevity is good provided you smoke them, otherwise they tend to dry out. I replace them about every year or so. I will say, the one-size-fits-all models do not work on p-lips but I solved that problem by getting rid of them (the p-lips).
I also replaced all my p-lips with normal bits. 👍🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: Elric

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Reactions: brian64

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I used to use them on almost all of my pipes. They help keep teeth marks to a minimum and can help with clenching for long periods. I don't use them as much as I used to because, well, I just don't like clenching for long periods. I'm a wet smoker, so I prefer to just hold my pipe when I'm not drawing from it. I also prefer pipes with a generous bend, and when I do clench those, I find the extra grip from the rubber bit only helps so much. Now, with a straight pipe or ones that are especially top-heavy, I still use the rubber bits.

I think everyone owes it to themselves to at least try them. They are super cheap, so you're not out much if you don't like them. But they can be a big help to some people.
You make a good point about bit grips on straights vs bents!

Reactions: K.E. Powell