Your Experience with Bit Grips/Softy Bits?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
"A rubber cover for the end of the stem, to prevent stem damage. Some people find these easier to grip and more comfortable than acrylic or vulcanite stems, especially while driving."

I do believe I will try these -- for comfort, as well as for protection of both vulcanite and acrylic stems.
I have found for sale China-made rubber grips of diameters 10mm, 11mm, 12mm.
Also, USA made SOFTY grips in small, medium, large.
And a few other brands, including silicon grips, and clear rubber grips.

Anyone care to share experience with any of the above? Durability?

I have previously ignored these because they are often mis-marketed as specifically for denture wearers.
1708318955070.jpeg

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I use them on bits I pierced with a K-9. I've no problem with 'em. But, many of the purists here decry their use. I'm more "whatever works for you" type.
My teeth have chipped/punctured the bits of two of my favorite pipes--one vulcanite and one acrylic.
The pipes are entirely smokeable but a bit annoying due to the sharp bit edges.
To have the bits replaced is expensive and inconvenient. I hope rubber grips will solve the issue.

I know one fella who uses rubber grips on oxidized vulcanite -- a reasonable alternative to refurbishing the oxidized bit.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I swear by them for most of my pipes. The only exceptions are my lone meer and a tiny light-as-a-feather French-made beechwood Rhodesian. The large buttons on these two obviate the need to use a bit, but for the rest of my pipes, they are essential. I don't always clench, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis I like that they keep the pipe from slipping around. When my teeth are in direct contact with the stem, the pipe tends to move around a bit, as it's far from snug, unless I bite down harder than I feel comfortable doing. I don't get any rubber taste from the softie bits.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I use them ALL the time because I dislike tooth chatter.
And it makes clenching much more comfortable.

I much prefer the silicon bits to the rubber ones.
- Easier to slip on&off
- No rubber taste
- Much, much cheaper. Especially if you get them in lots of 50 or 100
Thanks for your feedback. I will try both silicon and rubber grips!

Reactions: OzPiper

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I swear by them for most of my pipes. The only exceptions are my lone meer and a tiny light-as-a-feather French-made beechwood Rhodesian. The large buttons on these two obviate the need to use a bit, but for the rest of my pipes, they are essential. I don't always clench, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis I like that they keep the pipe from slipping around. When my teeth are in direct contact with the stem, the pipe tends to move around a bit, as it's far from snug, unless I bite down harder than I feel comfortable doing. I don't get any rubber taste from the softie bits.
Thank you for your excellent feedback! Yes, the "slipping around" struggle is real.

Reactions: Servant King

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I gave them a shot but just not my cup of tea. However it sounds like silicon ones exist which I may try as I think acrylic stems are very hard compared to vulcanite.

But as you can see rubber bits are fairly popular. Since they’re cheap I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t try them.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty