Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
@TN Jed @The Amish Tyrant @brian64 Do you think I'd have a good chance of winning the clay pipe smoking competition???
At the other end of the scale I'd like to see how long I can make a clay pipe of baccy last...
The Clay King was a big hit with the crowd in Nottingham:)
All hail the Clay King!
I'm convinced the Clay King with his redcoat on can do anything he puts his mind to.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
All hail the clay king!
@The Amish Tyrant I went to see the Sealed Knot at the Battle of Nantwich today. Met a young man in the group called James at the pub and shared a pint and a smoke with him.
Unfortunately I broke my Hardcastle clay pipe so I had to smoke the Jamestown clay; going to leave the other one unsmoked.
James showed me the correct way to dump the ash from my clay pipe by holding it across the back of my hand.
James said he liked the taste and smell of my pipe baccy; it felt like I'd gone back in time when we were outside the pub drinking, talking and smoking our pipes.
A cold but dry day; we both needed a good warming blast of pipe smoke to stoke our fires!
I introduced myself as the Clay King today; I think the Jamestown clays are perfect for the English Civil War period & good for a stout smoke of strong twist.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I think when the Greencoat sees you down a clay in less than a minute he'll turn yellow and run.
@TN Jed @brian64 @The Amish Tyrant @Chasing Embers Sounds about right!
I impressed one of the Sealed Knot re-enactors I met at the Battle of Nantwich by downing a clay pipe of C&D Winchester. He cheered me on as well!
My Old Dominion Jamestown clay has a small bowl so is well suited to a slow burning strong baccy like the GH brown twist. This is like they smoked at the time of the English Civil War.
It would be fun to have a clay pipe smoking competition with the Sealed Knot; I could imagine the clay pipe smokers in the society having a competition among themselves either fastest or slowest. At the other end of the speed scale I'd like to find out how much tobacco a giant clay pipe will hold and how long they'd take to smoke. @Chasing Embers says "Now that's in my pipe size area":)

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@Chasing Embers @brian64 @The Amish Tyrant I say, Halfdan's been smoking his clay pipe a bit hard:)
Do you think it's musket fire or clay pipe smoke in this picture???

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@Chasing Embers @brian64 @The Amish Tyrant I say, Halfdan's been smoking his clay pipe a bit hard:)
Do you think it's musket fire or clay pipe smoke in this picture???
I'm going to say the pipe just because it would be funnier if it were true.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@Ahi Ka I like the picture! I'll let you know when I take part, which baccy I'm smoking and my start / finish time. The reason I was puffing my clay pipe like a steam train at first was I was worried about it going out:)
Video of the Sealed Knot Battle of Nantwich procession; I went to this event & had a pint and a clay with one of the Sealed Knot re-enactors:
If I was one of them I'd probably smoke rope or plug in my Old Dominion Jamestown clay; I remember you saying I need to smoke Cannon Plug in my clays at the Sealed Knot events:)
My "smoke off" will probably be next month as the weather isn't conductive to pipe smoking outdoors as it's been very cold & snowy the last couple of days and rain forecast next week. The depth of snow seems unusual for the time of year as the last time snow settled in March was during the Beast from the East 5 years ago.
All the places where snow is only occasional (such as Greece, Italy, France & Spain) seem to be on similar latitudes; the problem with the UK is the weather changes are brought about wind direction...

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
@Ahi Ka I like the picture! I'll let you know when I take part, which baccy I'm smoking and my start / finish time. The reason I was puffing my clay pipe like a steam train at first was I was worried about it going out:)
Video of the Sealed Knot Battle of Nantwich procession; I went to this event & had a pint and a clay with one of the Sealed Knot re-enactors:
If I was one of them I'd probably smoke rope or plug in my Old Dominion Jamestown clay; I remember you saying I need to smoke Cannon Plug in my clays at the Sealed Knot events:)
My "smoke off" will probably be next month as the weather isn't conductive to pipe smoking outdoors as it's been very cold & snowy the last couple of days and rain forecast next week. The depth of snow seems unusual for the time of year as the last time snow settled in March was during the Beast from the East 5 years ago.
All the places where snow is only occasional (such as Greece, Italy, France & Spain) seem to be on similar latitudes; the problem with the UK is the weather changes are brought about wind direction...
Yeah i heard it was snowy over your way. The pics of john Rutherford

Reactions: The Clay King

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Yeah I heard it was snowy over your way. The pics of john Rutherford
@Ahi Ka @simong says I need to get practicing for our clay pipe smoke-off but the weather isn't suitable at the moment; hopefully next month! I'm going to put the redcoat on and find somewhere quiet or out of the way for the big smoke off! Don't need to make too much smoke with the clay pipe as making a big cloud of pipe smoke burns your baccy too fast and ruins any chance of a long slow smoulder:) Would be good to see how long I can make a clay pipe of baccy last!

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Status
Not open for further replies.