PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
First impressions....

Less VaPerish tasting than Haddo's. Less burley-ish than Barbary Coast. Those were the two blends I saw mentioned.. Maybe not as comparisons but as blends who have fans that would like this... I would agree that this would appeal to the same people who like those blends, I think. But this is definitely not exactly like anything else I've had from GLP. The Virginias and Burleys seem to be in a real nice balance, without one element dominating the other. Considering the components and the fact it was tinned on 1/27, I expected a bit of possible harshness, but it was actually quite smooth, aside from a bit of welcome spice towards the end, which I figured was from the perique. It kept reminding me of baked goods, like Oatmeal cookies (without raisins). The topping works really nicely, and it seemed less boozy than Haddo's or Sextant. In terms of strength, I'd say it is similar to Haddo's. Enough to notice it, but less than Jackknife or Triple Play. I liked it quite a bit. I'll have a better idea after I smoke more of it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
SmokingPipes must have a metric ton of this in stock. I purchased 20 tins without any issue.

Now I know what you might be saying.... Tim, you hate Haddos and this is similar to Haddos......

Let me explain myself. The tin of Haddos that spiked my hatred for all things dumpster roasted Hawaiian Tropic dipped hobo was a ten year old tin that I purchased aged.

I have zero clue why the tin was almost exploding from internal pressure. Was it wonderfully fermented; was it left in the sun and some heat funk set in or was it a diabolical ploy to end my smoking hobby?

I don’t know. But what I do know is I had smoked Haddos fresh (minimal aging) and it was pretty good.

So, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Besides if I hate it I’m sure I can sell to someone with no taste, they are easy to spot. They are the ones who think pineapple on pizza is a rational idea.
nothing wrong with pineapple on pizza just wait till mandarin oranges catch on as a pizza topping.

redz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2021
Gaithersburg, MD
I have that Sherlock Holmes tamper that Eddie is selling. It's one of my favorites.
I like the Sherlock Holmes crystal tamper. Had one, but I lost it during the move. They're getting hard to find now, so I just ordered one from Bisgaard Pipes.

I have one tin of Windjammer on the way. I almost ordered two, but I changed my mind at the last minute. Had to reduce the shopping basket a bit..:ROFLMAO:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
First impressions....

Less VaPerish tasting than Haddo's. Less burley-ish than Barbary Coast. Those were the two blends I saw mentioned.. Maybe not as comparisons but as blends who have fans that would like this... I would agree that this would appeal to the same people who like those blends, I think. But this is definitely not exactly like anything else I've had from GLP. The Virginias and Burleys seem to be in a real nice balance, without one element dominating the other. Considering the components and the fact it was tinned on 1/27, I expected a bit of possible harshness, but it was actually quite smooth, aside from a bit of welcome spice towards the end, which I figured was from the perique. It kept reminding me of baked goods, like Oatmeal cookies (without raisins). The topping works really nicely, and it seemed less boozy than Haddo's or Sextant. In terms of strength, I'd say it is similar to Haddo's. Enough to notice it, but less than Jackknife or Triple Play. I liked it quite a bit. I'll have a better idea after I smoke more of it.
Sounds awesome. Thanks for the review. I ordered 2. Wait a few months then crack one, probably to rush back to the “place order” button.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
OK, bigger question. I love Navigator, which I took for GLP's take on navy flake. Under the principles that one can never too much of a good thing -- be it more GLP blends or more navy flakes -- how do we think Windjammer compares to Navigator?
I like Windjammer more, but Navigator is not one of my favorite Pease blends (though it's far from a bad blend). To my tastes, Windjammer is sweeter and richer, and has a bit more of a "darker" flavor profile. I can taste the rum more in Windjammer as well, though again, the topping is beautifully done and I would certainly not consider it an aromatic. They seem to be of a similar strength level. You should absolutely try it, though I think all GLP blends are at least worth trying.

Keep in mind, this is based off two entire bowls of Windjammer, and one tin of Navigator from like a year ago. So please take with salt.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I had ham and cling peaches on a pizza in Warsaw once , oddly it was very tasty
One thing people seem to never really understand is that you can't really say what a particular food will actually taste like unless you have it. Sometimes you can make a good guess but.... There is always that thing that sounds wrong but works great. Milk and brandy is a good example, not saying you'd like it just that it's not the monstrosity it sounds like.

Status
Not open for further replies.