PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Probably. I’m sure these are very fresh tins so even a few weeks can make a difference let alone a few months.
Yeah, I believe mine was jarred on the 20th of January so it's very fresh. Maybe I am not so sensitive to perique because I could feel it before I started really tasting it. Now that I've had a half dozen or more bowls, I can taste more of it, and I suspect it has a decent amount of it, but I don't find it overbearing. Obviously, different strokes...

I can’t get on board with Spark Plug due to its hideous tin art. No joke. It makes me think the tobacco is going to taste like rust, or I’m a mechanic or something. The name and tin art just killed it for me. Obviously, that’s just me, as many others like it. To each their own.

As I’ve heard someone say: pipe smoking is also done with the eyes.

I know exactly what you mean about the visual aspect of smoking. I don't think the Spark Plug tin art is too bad, though. Would it help to throw the stuff in a jar? Then you wouldn't have to look at the tin... If you like full Balkan/Latakia blends, I think it's outstanding.

wayoutwest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2016
KY
I can’t get on board with Spark Plug due to its hideous tin art. No joke. It makes me think the tobacco is going to taste like rust, or I’m a mechanic or something. The name and tin art just killed it for me. Obviously, that’s just me, as many others like it. To each their own.

As I’ve heard someone say: pipe smoking is also done with the eyes.

completely agree. I know logically it makes no difference, and I could theoretically jar it and just call it something else, but it still bothers me. Plus pipe smoking is not a logical endeavor anyway.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
In my own experience, I don't bother smoking a GLP blend until at least two weeks after popping the tin.
I may start doing this as well. They just seem to taste better after being opened for a bit. I had chalked it up to "getting to know" the blend and appreciate it more, but I think it's more than that. I'm smoking some JackKnife right now and it's so much better than when I popped the tin 2 weeks ago. The sweetness from the VAs comes through more, as well as a clove like spice that I assume is from the Kentucky.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
My order arrived about a hour ago. Having my first bowl now. New pipe that I ran a Everclear soaked cleaner thru, new blend so I will reserve judgement.

Initially it reminds me of Opening Night which I like. Curious about putting it in the jar already or leave it in it's tin for a few weeks?

Also not sure if I am getting some bite already or if that's the Perique tickling my tongue.

Ordered some Haddos too since I have never tried that one. Some interesting bowls for me coming up.

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
Ordered 2 tins from Smoking Pipes late afternoon 2/12, USPS First Class shipping. They were delivered yesterday 2/17. (Columbus Ohio)
Wife ordered a Shark (vacuum) 2/13 from Amazon with free shipping and it was also delivered via USPS yesterday.
I ordered 2 tins from Smoking Pipes on 2/12 also. Still hasn't arrived in California. Tracking says "in transit, arriving late." Will just have to wait....

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
My order arrived about a hour ago. Having my first bowl now. New pipe that I ran a Everclear soaked cleaner thru, new blend so I will reserve judgement.

Initially it reminds me of Opening Night which I like. Curious about putting it in the jar already or leave it in it's tin for a few weeks?

Also not sure if I am getting some bite already or if that's the Perique tickling my tongue.

Ordered some Haddos too since I have never tried that one. Some interesting bowls for me coming up.
Too late to edit..

So, definitely no bite..was the Perique I believe. Also around mid bowl it developed a nice chocolate creamy flavor with a little bit of nutty going on. I enjoyed it and have to retract my initial thought of comparison to Opening Night. I am not getting the raisin flavor like ON but more of a chocolate.
I used my brand new Rossi 8316 which has a bowl coating and am thinking that is taking away from the blend.
Don't like these bowl coatings..went thru this with my recent Peterson.
Only one bowl, but it burnt to a nice fine ash. Can't wait to try more of this blend!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Too late to edit..

So, definitely no bite..was the Perique I believe. Also around mid bowl it developed a nice chocolate creamy flavor with a little bit of nutty going on. I enjoyed it and have to retract my initial thought of comparison to Opening Night. I am not getting the raisin flavor like ON but more of a chocolate.
I used my brand new Rossi 8316 which has a bowl coating and am thinking that is taking away from the blend.
Don't like these bowl coatings..went thru this with my recent Peterson.
Only one bowl, but it burnt to a nice fine ash. Can't wait to try more of this blend!
I'd be curious if you get more of a raisin-ish, dried fruit sweetness as you keep smoking it. I didn't get much at first, but do now. I think the chocolate notes are right on. Definitely has some baked goods vibes going on.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
First impressions....

Less VaPerish tasting than Haddo's. Less burley-ish than Barbary Coast. Those were the two blends I saw mentioned.. Maybe not as comparisons but as blends who have fans that would like this... I would agree that this would appeal to the same people who like those blends, I think. But this is definitely not exactly like anything else I've had from GLP. The Virginias and Burleys seem to be in a real nice balance, without one element dominating the other. Considering the components and the fact it was tinned on 1/27, I expected a bit of possible harshness, but it was actually quite smooth, aside from a bit of welcome spice towards the end, which I figured was from the perique. It kept reminding me of baked goods, like Oatmeal cookies (without raisins). The topping works really nicely, and it seemed less boozy than Haddo's or Sextant. In terms of strength, I'd say it is similar to Haddo's. Enough to notice it, but less than Jackknife or Triple Play. I liked it quite a bit. I'll have a better idea after I smoke more of it.

I think you nailed it.

My first bowl impression is that I really like it. The first 1/4 of the bowl was just a bit harsh (something I often get with C&D burley), but smoothed out nicely. By midbowl the chocolate note was prevalent and didn’t let up. Like Danimalia said, the rum is not at all boozy (like I think Barbary Coast’s brandy topping can be). The dark rum sweetness and touch of spice is there throughout, and IMO is in the perfect amount - it complements every other component without drowning anything out. The Virginia is also done very well, sweet, breast, and tangy. I haven’t seen anything in the Pease description that mentions DFK, but I kept tasting a nice woodsy sourness that made me think there might be some in there. That being said, I think he would’ve mentioned DFK if it was in there, so who knows? The perique is always noticeable, and I got a good tingle in the top of my sinuses, though I didn’t taste any perique spice, just dark fruitiness. The burley is rich, smooth (as soon I got past the first 1/4 bowl), nutty, with plenty of cocoa. In reference to some of the comparisons to Barbary Coast (which I love), this isn’t nearly as strong. My guess is that the Virginia is much more prevalent than the burley, unlike BC. Even for a bowl from a brand new tin, it’s really smooth without losing any of the strength of the burley and perique. There’s a lot going on in that tin, but none of it gets lost. Great blending.

It burned cool and slow, with no bite at all. I didn’t rub it out at all, just made a loose plug from the soft flake and stuffed it.

I left some out for about an hour before smoking, and that seemed plenty dry.

I give it 2 thumbs, 2 big toes, and 16 other digits up.

Status
Not open for further replies.