PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
Why did Daughters & Ryan stop making and selling Picayune, instead of stopping something like Three Sails, which people joke about? Or one of their other many blends? Surely Picayune stood out as being a blend with one of the highest amounts of nicotine; it must have sold more than many of their other blends. If it cost more to produce for some reason, why not just increase the price rather than end it? Anyone have any theories or actual knowledge of this? I smoking a bowl of my remaining few ounces right now. I'll miss it when it's gone, and smoke it sparingly now (Happy Friday!).

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Why did Daughters & Ryan stop making and selling Picayune, instead of stopping something like Three Sails, which people joke about? Or one of their other many blends? Surely Picayune stood out as being a blend with one of the highest amounts of nicotine; it must have sold more than many of their other blends. If it cost more to produce for some reason, why not just increase the price rather than end it? Anyone have any theories or actual knowledge of this? I smoking a bowl of my remaining few ounces right now. I'll miss it when it's gone, and smoke it sparingly now (Happy Friday!).
I’d say it sold the least out of all their blends.

The company that bought D&R is strictly an RYO company. They don’t seem to know dick about what pipe smokers would like. I’ve defended D&R for years on the forum, because of Mark’s involvement. And, people’s confusion about RYO and pipe tobacco. But, after some brick wall emails, they can hang.
I’ve got a small six pound stash of Picayune. I will break them out occasionally and enjoy memories of the good ol’ days.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Never had any of the D&R blends but I have a tub of the SJ Rimboche 3.5oz. I heard Picayuane was really popular among pipe smokers. Cheap, good flavor and strong. However, I can't say too much about it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The majority of the company's stake was bought out by Inter-Continental Trading USA last Fall. There may have been a competing product that ICT already owned, or the margin on that product didn't justify the effort to keep it around.

The trend of dwindling investors in tobacco in general, push by UN to de-incentivize investing in tobacco, onerous regulations, streamlining the business to maximize profit... all those big business sort of things.

And 99.99% of businesses don't share their marketing and product strategies with the general public, so take the Monday morning quarterbacking with a grain of salt...

Well, the majority of pipesmokers prefer aromatics, which doesn’t give you spit for nicotine. And, with the majority of the minuscule amount of pipesmokers that prefer non-aros, usually smoking for flavor prefer those limp wristed fancy pinky finger out Virginias. That probably does leaves about seven of us... that appreciate a full tobacco heavy puncher like Picayune. puffy

Give C&Ds Burley Flake #1 a lot of love. We don’t want that one going away also.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
The company that bought D&R is strictly an RYO company. They don’t seem to know dick about what pipe smokers would like. I’ve defended D&R for years on the forum, because of Mark’s involvement. And, people’s confusion about RYO and pipe tobacco. But, after some brick wall emails, they can hang.
I’ve got a small six pound stash of Picayune. I will break them out occasionally and enjoy memories of the good ol’ days.
Lucky bastid! If they’re strictly RYO, then that’s the best answer I’ve heard yet.