PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bobs

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
It's all because of the new FTC regulations about tobacco products registration which costs thousands an has an absurd cost because of legal reiterations of title. Each, of which must be registered Another form of government harassment of tobacco smoking taxpayers.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
It was claimed pretty fast after my post. After 5 years, It got all crystalized, which was unusual to me, because it was a ribbon, not a flake. Same thing happened to my Stonehenge. But, the Blackpool Fresh is a very nice licorice aromatic. I really liked it fresh. But, with age and the crystals, I expected it to be sweeter, but it lost all flavor, except for a slight sour wet rag taste. I didn't enjoy it.

Also, Tillsbury after five years tastes like dirt, no sweetness, just an earthy "beet-like" flavor. I didn't set back but one tin of this.

I recall a letter from the guy who owns or manages Esoterica that was posted here, where he tells us that we shouldn't age Esoterica. They were not designed for that. Seems like he called people who cellar some funny European word, a slur... tufters? Poofers? I can't remember what it was. Seems like Sable has reposted it, maybe he will chime in.

But, any Esoterica I buy in the future, I will smoke them right away. I do love fresh Penzance, but age does nothing positive to them, IMO. But, you guys setting back bags of this and you guys buying it up... enjoy!! ha ha. YMMV
So, I should take the Penzance I've had in the cellar since 2015 and ship it to Pipestud so he can sell it for an exorbitant price?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's all because of the new FTC regulations about tobacco products registration which costs thousands an has an absurd cost because of legal reiterations of title. Each, of which must be registered Another form of government harassment of tobacco smoking taxpayers.
FDA not federal trade commission. And if you look at the cost compared to all the other associated costs it's frankly negligible compared to at least the basic and typical market factors. And honestly with Daughters and Ryan they're biggest cost cutting was really more hands on the guy who owned the company was. He supposedly worked directly with farmers cutting out middle men when possible. Which is a lot of work and not something ironically a larger company is going to invest in when they have other blends that have a larger profit margin.
Nasal snuff was already hit with frankly far wider and restrictive registration costs (not per blend but per package too) all that while having a much smaller market (you think there aren't a lot of pipe smokers, way easier to find then snuff takers). I am not saying it couldn't be a factor but for one that blend got cut before any of those costs would have come up. In this case it's more a larger company isn't going to have the same passion for the hobby as a single individual can.