PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
The reviews I read seemed pretty negative. But I guess the reviews for Picayune are mixed.

Anyone that throws shade at a blend for being dry and "burning too hot", especially in regards to D&R, is not someone who's opinion I respect. I found most reviews slamming D&R seemed to be people that struggled to smoke it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Why did Daughters & Ryan stop making and selling Picayune, instead of stopping something like Three Sails, which people joke about? Or one of their other many blends? Surely Picayune stood out as being a blend with one of the highest amounts of nicotine; it must have sold more than many of their other blends. If it cost more to produce for some reason, why not just increase the price rather than end it? Anyone have any theories or actual knowledge of this? I smoking a bowl of my remaining few ounces right now. I'll miss it when it's gone, and smoke it sparingly now (Happy Friday!).
Well Mark Ryan owns a tobacco farm. I think he only sold the blend. It's cheaper to grow your own. I think those factors are why some got cut.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Anyone that throws shade at a blend for being dry and "burning too hot", especially in regards to D&R, is not someone who's opinion I respect. I found most reviews slamming D&R seemed to be people that struggled to smoke it.
One of the reasons I hate pipe tobacco reviews. So many of them as in so so many of them read to me as "I don't know how to smoke a pipe and it makes me angry oh by the way I bought this blend and I still have no idea how to smoke a pipe". It's so bad I won't be surprised when I read a review that says "smells great in the tin but hurts when I put the stem in my eyeball, also won't stay lit".

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
One of the reasons I hate pipe tobacco reviews. So many of them as in so so many of them read to me as "I don't know how to smoke a pipe and it makes me angry oh by the way I bought this blend and I still have no idea how to smoke a pipe". It's so bad I won't be surprised when I read a review that says "smells great in the tin but hurts when I put the stem in my eyeball, also won't stay lit".
Yup. Or “I hate this style of blend but...”
Well if you hate the style of blend don’t smoke it!
Or if you do smoke it... don’t review it!

Reactions: fireground_piper

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I love all the speculation without any real knowledge. We pipers are literally full of hot air. Let me set the record straight. Originally, Mark had planned naming it Daughters, Son & Ryan. But sadly, his son Todd was a bit of a screw up and a pot head. Early on, one night Todd was showing off the families new factory to his stoner friends and screwing around with the machinery. He thought it would be funny put some grease on the base of the Vertical Bale Slicer and try to do a Fear Factor inspired Slip N Slide run through it while it was running. North Slope trip weed apparently makes the blades move slower in your mind than they do in real life. Anyways, Darwin will no be mocked and we can all guess how it turned out. All Mark found the next day was a bloody mass, a torn up Led Zeppelin concert t-shirt and lingering Beavis & Butthead like laughter haunting the place. This all happened on the Picayune process line! Ever since then, Picayune has been bitter sweet for D&R because it brings back bitter memories of the son they lost but sweet smiles of the future liabilities they avoided. I am sure they just never sold the rights to it so the new company can't make it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I love all the speculation without any real knowledge. We pipers are literally full of hot air. Let me set the record straight. Originally, Mark had planned naming it Daughters, Son & Ryan. But sadly, his son Todd was a bit of a screw up and a pot head. Early on, one night Todd was showing off the families new factory to his stoner friends and screwing around with the machinery. He thought it would be funny put some grease on the base of the Vertical Bale Slicer and try to do a Fear Factor inspired Slip N Slide run through it while it was running. North Slope trip weed apparently makes the blades move slower in your mind than they do in real life. Anyways, Darwin will no be mocked and we can all guess how it turned out. All Mark found the next day was a bloody mass, a torn up Led Zeppelin concert t-shirt and lingering Beavis & Butthead like laughter haunting the place. This all happened on the Picayune process line! Ever since then, Picayune has been bitter sweet for D&R because it brings back bitter memories of the son they lost but sweet smiles of the future liabilities they avoided. I am sure they just never sold the rights to it so the new company can't make it.
Last known photo...

R8f1da9d81238631752e475eda55ecfe0.jpg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Either you guys misunderstood my reply or are being intentionally obtuse. Mark wanted to retire so he sold the business. That's a fact. The new company that took over decided not to off picayune. Thay don't have to explain why they wouldn't but the word on the street is Picayune wasn't that popular and they were an RYO company.

Either you guys misunderstood my reply or are being intentionally obtuse. Mark wanted to retire so he sold the business. That's a fact. The new company that took over decided not to off picayune. Thay don't have to explain why they wouldn't but the word on the street is Picayune wasn't that popular and they were an RYO company.
I don’t buy the word on the street. When I was emailing Tom Burns, new owner of D&R, he never once mentioned sales as a reason. His reason was FDA, which others inside the biz said was BS. I don’t know the real reason, but Tom wouldn’t even consider a last run, even when I offered up a lot of cash. I put my money where my mouth was, but...

So, of we speculate, so be it. We asked the company and got bullshit. So, all’s fair in wild speculation.
But, I’m pretty sure it has to do with the Picayune being a weapon of mass destruction, and treaties with Afghanistan... maybe even having something to do with Nuremberg trials. Sure, so Todd was killed, but with hundreds of pipe smokers dead all over the country, and the rest of us begging for more... what’s a few more deaths? Taste matters more than lethality.
They’ll get my last little bit of Picayune when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers.
puffy

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
But.....
12 people on 4 different pipe forums liked it!
I’m just waiting for Captain Black to get discontinued.
There will be people who say they liked that as well.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I don’t buy the word on the street. When I was emailing Tom Burns, new owner of D&R, he never once mentioned sales as a reason. His reason was FDA, which others inside the biz said was BS. I don’t know the real reason, but Tom wouldn’t even consider a last run, even when I offered up a lot of cash. I put my money where my mouth was, but...

So, of we speculate, so be it. We asked the company and got bullshit. So, all’s fair in wild speculation.
But, I’m pretty sure it has to do with the Picayune being a weapon of mass destruction, and treaties with Afghanistan... maybe even having something to do with Nuremberg trials. Sure, so Todd was killed, but with hundreds of pipe smokers dead all over the country, and the rest of us begging for more... what’s a few more deaths? Taste matters more than lethality.
They’ll get my last little bit of Picayune when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers.
puffy
I am now imagining a messed up true crime docuseries. Including Mr. Embers explaining how he never even met you from a prison cell. gripping stuff. The title could be "A Cellar of Evil".