Who has Smoked Cornell and Diehl Anthology 1992-2022?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
I've always thought McCranie's Red Flake would be good with perique and here it is. I usually dry out Virginia blends but have always enjoyed red's on the moist side and don't mind the extra relights.?

Reactions: UncleRasta

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The vast majority of the C&D Small Batch or Special releases have been quite good. Not sure the reason for the negative responses. C&D seems to have zero problems selling these small batch releases, they'll survive if you don't buy. I am happy they create special blends that are very good, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want that happening. But again, if you think it's all marketing hype, just keep your credit card in your wallet. Really simple.
I've said it before but I never thought I'd see people so militantly angry about having a few extra choices and so paranoid about someone trying to get one over on them with a generally honest niche product.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I've said it before but I never thought I'd see people so militantly angry about having a few extra choices and so paranoid about someone trying to get one over on them with a generally honest niche product.
Agree. Was very surprised at the vast amount of negativity re. the latest blend from C&D.
I guess the age old adage of "you're damned if you do....." rings true here.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I don't care what anybody thinks, weather they say its marketing or hype or niche. Weather its latakia or perique or anything in life for that matter. If something appeals to me I'm gonna partake weather somebody else has an opinion is beside the point. It's like your husband's or wife's farts, nobody wants to smell them but you who am I to judge.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Especially when your talking about $12.11 per tin. It's not like you're gonna go broke taking a chance on a couple of tins of tobacco. Goodness gracious. For the record I'm really enjoying this offering and am glad I had a chance to purchase some.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I don't care what anybody thinks, weather they say its marketing or hype or niche. Weather its latakia or perique or anything in life for that matter. If something appeals to me I'm gonna partake weather somebody else has an opinion is beside the point. It's like your husband's or wife's farts, nobody wants to smell them but you who am I to judge.
Believe me, Puffaluffaguss, when I say that I do not, repeat do not want to smell my wife's farts. Kimchi makes for extremely potent and noxious gasses!
And then she blames Norms!
?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
All special releases are marketing gimmicks to get pipe enthusiasts to buy tobacco they literally don’t need. But that doesn’t mean it’s not worth selling or buying and smoking.

It really gets down to the honesty/integrity of the business, as if something might be a gimmick or genuine.

Certainly some could be a gimmick, and certainly others might be released with the utmost sincerity of bringing a special release.

Depending on the level of intent on the so called Gimmick, said another way, this is deception, and depending on circumstances, companies could find themselves in lawsuits over false claims, and said deceptions.

@Val something you need to consider here, this is not a Special Release, but the celebration of C&D’s 30 years in business, is C&D actually trying to deceive us with this celebration.

Bottom line, that would be extremely low of a company to take advantage of it’s consumer base with deception.

We know in business, there are a lot of bad deceptive businesses practices in the world, but if you want to stay in business long, you have to respect your customer base, and avoid possible lawsuits, you don’t lie and deceive people.

Also, you can’t simply look at these so called Gimmicks like little white lies, a gimmick, is a trick, or deception that could be considered at any level of deception, to down right federal fraud.

We should be careful the words we choose when speaking on such a topic, defamation of character, is something here to consider on a public forum.

P.S. I’ve never once as a pipe smoker, ever considered any special release as a gimmick of deception, but certainly C&D might be looking for honest ways to make money, and offers us something.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
It really gets down to the honesty/integrity of the business, as if something might be a gimmick or genuine.

Certainly some could be a gimmick, and certainly others might be released with the utmost sincerity of bringing a special release.

Depending on the level of intent on the so called Gimmick, said another way, this is deception, and depending on circumstances, companies could find themselves in lawsuits over false claims, and said deceptions.

@Val something you need to consider here, this is not a Special Release, but the celebration of C&D’s 30 years in business, is C&D actually trying to deceive us with this celebration.

Bottom line, that would be extremely low of a company to take advantage of it’s consumer base with deception.

We know in business, there are a lot of bad deceptive businesses practices in the world, but if you want to stay in business long, have the respect of your customer base, and avoid possible lawsuits, you don’t lie and deceive people.
Dead right PipeIT.
Pipe smokers are a very niche consumer base. I would seriously doubt that C&D would screw their (prospective) customers with a load of BS about limited runs, etc. That would be commercial suicide.
They've produced, what seems to be a very good product, from what we've read in others comments here, all in line with what they're already producing.
I'm all for them trying to capture the "specialized" or maybe even the "luxury" tobacco market, since Esoterica is like rocking horse sh1t and McClelland's doesn't exist anymore.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m certainly not Jim, but I have smoked a few C&D Special Releases.

Red Flake
Red Flake/Perique
Eight State Burley
SPC 20th Anniversary XX Flake

Everyone of these was a good blend, in no means a gimmick, but simply, taste is in the tongue of the smoker, where certainly some will enjoy, and others won’t.

And just because one smoker doesn’t like something, doesn’t make it bad or a gimmick.

To be honest, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anyone talking trash over C&D, and they certainly seem to have the respect of the majority here, as far as I can tell.

P.S. I bought three tins of Anthology, and I’m looking forward to it, I certainly hope it’s great, but the taste will be in the tongue of those puffing! :sher:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Mine should be here tomorrow.

I like the C&D Red Va’s. As for Reds w\Perique, I have some but haven’t smoked any yet.

I already mentioned I wasn’t going to buy any - until I did…

My TAD went into overdrive about 10 years ago, when I finally decided to trust buying tobacco online.

I’ve kept it in check pretty well so far this year. And it’s been several months since I’ve bought another pipe. I’ve even begun selling off some of my hoard. Can’t take em with me. Not like I’m planning on kicking off anytime soon. Now that I’m pretty much retired it’s time to simplify.

Reactions: UncleRasta