What is the Worst Pipe Tobacco You have ever Smoked?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pip01

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 3, 2018
NJ
On Sunday nights, I tend to just play on my phone and research random things. Today I was researching the famous Toscanello Cigarillos and found myself watching a cigar review. In this particular episode, a popular set of dudes reviewed a 40 cigar bundle that was on sale for $30. At the end they all agreed they were all pretty terrible. They wanted to know what the worst cigar you ever smoked.

I am tweaking their question and want to know from you guys, what is the worst pipe blend you have ever smoked?

I will go first: C&D Yorktown! Now to be fair, I am a huge fan of Pirate Kake (sic), Star of the East and their Christmas blends. However, Yorktown takes the trophy as the worst pipe tobacco I have ever smoked.

Your turn...
I agree. Yorktown sucks! Pretty bad.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve smoked some bad tobacco over the years. Occasionally I’ll give it a 2nd attempt... 3rd at the most and then pitch it. Most recently I remember not liking Escudo Navy Deluxe, which I was surprised as it’s highly rated. Perhaps I got a bad tin, but I could not get through a 2nd bowl of it?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Royal Yuck. I would rather have my ball sack stapled to the floor by a rivet gun whilst being ar*e f*cked without a reach around by a bisexual garden gnome wearing a barbed wire condom then ever smoke that stuff again. It has a flavor that resembles the imagined taste of sucking the farts out of a swan. A close second would be Clan which is just so unpleasant I doubt even Jim Inks would smoke the stuff!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have heard of moldy or contaminated tins and maybe that is what happened here. However, that will be the only Yorktown tin I will ever buy. There are so many other great blends that it seems unwise to waste my time and give this a second chance. Usually a full tin is enough for me to know if I will like it or not, but in this instance, one bowl was enough.
I can see it not being someones cup of tea but if anything the biggest thing I could see someone not liking about it is how simple and not rough edged it is. I feel like you must have gotten an off tin. But yeah there are so many great blends no point on trying to enjoy something when there are a million ones that are easy to enjoy right now :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Royal Yuck. I would rather have my ball sack stapled to the floor by a rivet gun whilst being ar*e f*cked without a reach around by a bisexual garden gnome wearing a barbed wire condom then ever smoke that stuff again. It has a flavor that resembles the imagined taste of sucking the farts out of a swan. A close second would be Clan which is just so unpleasant I doubt even Jim Inks would smoke the stuff!
Yeah nobody likes mondays ;)

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I’ve smoked some bad tobacco over the years. Occasionally I’ll give it a 2nd attempt... 3rd at the most and then pitch it. Most recently I remember not liking Escudo Navy Deluxe, which I was surprised as it’s highly rated. Perhaps I got a bad tin, but I could not get through a 2nd bowl of it?
See, here is another one that I disliked as well. Not the worst for me but not for me. However, I have smoked through the Peterson Navy Rolls and I love those little coins!

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I can see it not being someones cup of tea but if anything the biggest thing I could see someone not liking about it is how simple and not rough edged it is. I feel like you must have gotten an off tin. But yeah there are so many great blends no point on trying to enjoy something when there are a million ones that are easy to enjoy right now :)
Well the sad part is that I bought about 20 tins of C&D blends and have only really liked a few. I will go to my donation pile and let you know how many I tried that were just not for me.

wilblee

Lurker
Mar 2, 2021
I enjoy a wide range of blends, including many of C&D’s offerings, and have never really encountered something I hated - until Visions of Celephaïs. It’s a tobacco that says, "You know everything you enjoy in a pipe tobacco? Here’s its opposite".

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Three come to mind, the first two rage-inducing, the last just really, really disappointing:

1792 Flake - This induced the most visceral reaction I've ever had to a blend. Given where it comes from, it's obviously quality leaf, so I hate to say it's the "worst," but it's the one I hate the most. Unfortunately I tried it not too long after I started smoking, and I didn't fully trust my own tastes. I actually smoked 2 full bowls of it TIRE FIRE. The rest of the tin has been sitting in a jar untouched for 10 years.

Stokkebye HIghland Whiskey - I bought a sample of this in the smoking tent at the 2019 Chicago Show. I got a beer, sat down at one of the couches and loaded a bowl. It had the most artificial, chemical taste I've experienced. Thirty seconds in, I dumped it and gave the sample to another attendee. There are a few PS blends that I love, but this one was terrible.

Peretti B-94 - I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get past the persistent soapy taste. Why the fu(k does rum-topped cube cut burley taste like fu9king soap? I have yet to find a Peretti burley I like, but B-94 was the one I disliked the most.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I
I enjoy a wide range of blends, including many of C&D’s offerings, and have never really encountered something I hated - until Visions of Celephaïs. It’s a tobacco that says, "You know everything you enjoy in a pipe tobacco? Here’s its opposite".
I renamed it to Visions of Syphilis, which a lot of people don’t know is the actual flavor used as a topping on this one...