PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
I've mentioned this blend elsewhere but Briarworks Bacon Old Fashioned is horrific and still haunts me.
Hah. I just tried this for the first time this morning. It's definitely in the "what the hell did I just smoke" category. I'll have to try this again later in the day some time. My thought of it being suitable because of the Bacon in the morning was completely misguided.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Hah. I just tried this for the first time this morning. It's definitely in the "what the hell did I just smoke" category. I'll have to try this again later in the day some time. My thought of it being suitable because of the Bacon in the morning was completely misguided.

Wondering if the bacon was organic and grass-fed? Could make a difference. (I seek a healthier low nitrate smoke).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A worst experience was some kind of Mac Baren blend, a "mixture" that had seven or eight tobaccos, that was the harshest, muddiest, dullest blend I've ever smoked. I aged the tin, cut it with other blends, and did everything I could to smoke it, and I finally gave up and did the unthinkable, threw it out. There are other MB blends I've enjoyed, but that one was unredeemable for me.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Borkum Riff Whiskey. I had a friend who picked up pipe smoking for a few months and quit, and I’m convinced it’s because this is the only tobacco he would try. I tried giving him the good stuff, and he’d refuse. I tried it. Once. It was, to say the least, awful, like, you know how melting plastic smells? Yeah.

I’m convinced that shit like Borkum Riff Whiskey is why people don’t smoke pipes much anymore. They think that’s all there is.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Borkum Riff Whiskey. I had a friend who picked up pipe smoking for a few months and quit, and I’m convinced it’s because this is the only tobacco he would try. I tried giving him the good stuff, and he’d refuse. I tried it. Once. It was, to say the least, awful, like, you know how melting plastic smells? Yeah.

I’m convinced that shit like Borkum Riff Whiskey is why people don’t smoke pipes much anymore. They think that’s all there is.
Shit is pretty bad. It can taste ok but it sears your mouth.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Shit is pretty bad. It can taste ok but it sears your mouth.
It tasted like the inside of a prosthetic leg smells, and was goo all the way down. Not even sure how I finished the bowl. My friend asked me, “how do you get the liquid to stop?” And I said, “the liquid?” He said, “Yeah. The juice that comes out of the stem and into your mouth.” :ROFLMAO:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It tasted like the inside of a prosthetic leg smells, and was goo all the way down. Not even sure how I finished the bowl. My friend asked me, “how do you get the liquid to stop?” And I said, “the liquid?” He said, “Yeah. The juice that comes out of the stem and into your mouth.” :ROFLMAO:
Oh, you have to dry it until crispy to be smokable at all.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

fihbkyle

Lurker
Dec 28, 2020
South Dakota
I had to search this thread and check no one had posted about it yet...

Solani X Sweet Mystery

Firstly, never in my life have I received such a thorough and expedient case of mouth bite. If that weren't enough, Sweet Mystery has the same aromatic quality as gasoline or herbicide. It smells sort of good in an exotic way, but it's impossible to divorce the aroma from the context of it being poisonous. It's the only tobacco I've ever smoked that lit up my lizard brain's preservation instinct. Marvelously bad.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
The only blend I've tried that I found absolutely repellent was Old Joe Krantz. I know a lot of people on here swear by it, and I do enjoy stronger Burley blends from houses such as Gawith, etc., but OJK tasted like moldy leather to me. I'll revisit it at some point, because both tobaccos and taste buds change with age, but I had to dump that first bowl halfway through because it was absolutely disgusting to me.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
You gotta watch out for those musicians! They'll lead you astray any chance they get! :LOL:
This was at an Italian restaurant in San Diego that specialized in opera entertainment, where I was a waiter. The owners were on the run from the east coast mafia( to no avail). Their logo was: Mario's....where they sing while you dine. After the Mixture 79 fiasco I changed it to:Mario's where they bleat while you eat. I was never forgiven.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I like burley ... a lot. But I've had some air dried Haitian leaf that is all bite and no flavor. Second only to some primo holiday blends that were all chemical burn from the flavoring, all that cinnamon and Pine Sol. I like Three Star Blue, though I had to let it age for a year or so; when I came back to it, it was downright civilized. Bayou Night from C&D was pretty rough the first go around, but I must have liked it well enough for the second order, which was much more mellow. I just ordered another small quantity. That's one blend the new ownership improved, I believe.
I literally just smoked some three star blue yesterday that was sitting in a jar for a year. And man it's a different beast. Like most stuff a year out I find it better or at least smoother but Three Star went from sure if it was the only tobacco left I'd smoke it to wow that's really good. Funny I threw a bag in on an order because you said you liked it, I smoked it and thought different strokes I guess. Then a few weeks latter you said you like it with age.... So it has just been sitting around. Yesterday I said oh let's see if he's right, and he is right. I can't articulate the difference otherwise than it seems clearer and all the elements are more defined. Thought you might find that mildly amusing. And also it's nice to know people do sometimes actually pay attention.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
This was at an Italian restaurant in San Diego that specialized in opera entertainment, where I was a waiter. The owners were on the run from the east coast mafia( to no avail). Their logo was: Mario's....where they sing while you dine. After the Mixture 79 fiasco I changed it to:Mario's where they bleat while you eat. I was never forgiven.
Extracting forgiveness from an Italian can be one of the more futile endeavors in life. My wife is 50 percent Italian so I am keenly aware of this. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.