What is Happening to the Rim of My New Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I don’t believe I have a refined palate either, but i do taste the corn. Do you use filters? Or clean your cob? I’ve heard people don’t even stick a pipe cleaner in their cobs...
I do not have a filter but I have followed the wisdom of members here who use a paper towel for the bowl and pipe cleaners after use.

It seems they charred quickly and I’ve gone to using a match thats allowed to burn past the head and onto the pine shaft to light.

I really enjoy a Latakia blend and so that’s what I taste along with the other species.

Reactions: ofafeather

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
I do not have a filter but I have followed the wisdom of members here who use a paper towel for the bowl and pipe cleaners after use.

It seems they charred quickly and I’ve gone to using a match thats allowed to burn past the head and onto the pine shaft to light.

I really enjoy a Latakia blend and so that’s what I taste along with the other species.
In all honesty, strong latakia or english blends have been fine in my cobs.

though I find that it is hard to pick up on delicate flavors with cobs. it is usually masked by some other thing that cobs have, that I have no idea what it is or can’t put my finger on.

of course that is me, and to each their own with their pipespuffy

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
It's cheaper to just piss off a few hundred customers with this shellac'd bullshit experiment of theirs than to replace that many pipes.
As @craig61a said, shellac is commonly used to seal in stains, so it's not an experiment. (see the pipe makers' forum). Sav may have jst laid it on a little thick here. More bang for the buck! Or used lo-cost lac.

The idea of smearing beetle secretions on stuff fascinates me.

Well, with some there’s a difference. Skip has said that a mix of waxes and shellac is common. But, some, you know what I’m talking about, some just have a layer that looks like plastic, nothing like a new waxed surface or even a buffed surface. Maybe different formulas of shallac, maybe polyurethane, but some pipes just come with different surface. And, many that use whatever that stuff is will bubble if your pipe gets too hot. Sure sure, the key is never losing your cadence, ever while smoking one of those.

garageboy

Might Stick Around
Jul 15, 2019
I had a rossi from the era where the finished just straight up bubbled off. You'd think savinelli would get pipe finishing down after how many years in business?