What is Happening to the Rim of My New Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Hello fellows,

I bought a new Savinelli Night 316 KS, and noticed on my second day of smoking that there is a sort of charred rim??? Really I have no idea since I am no expert in briar or pipes.

When I try to wipe it with either Saliva or water, it fades for a few seconds until it comes back. I mean yesterday I was smoking this pipe, it had no problems. Today, after smoking Plum Cake by mac baren, it had this. I have absolutely no idea why this happend. Can someone explain? Is it a defect? CBBDF682-376C-4062-84E6-688EC0C2666B.jpeg

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
What method do you use to light? How are the rims on your other pipes? My guess is it started as clouding of the wax which is probably carnuba wax. If there is still wax there you can buff it to a shine with a soft cloth and a lot of friction. Otherwise Paragon or Renaissance wax would work.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Merton

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
What method do you use to light? How are the rims on your other pipes? My guess is it started as clouding of the wax which is probably carnuba wax. If there is still wax there you can buff it to a shine with a soft cloth and a lot of friction. Otherwise Paragon or Renaissance wax would work.
I use a corona old boy. I am careful enough not to damage the pipe.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
What kind of lighter are you using? If it is a torch or cigar lighter it is likely much too hot and the result is often rim scorching. Try matches or a soft flame pipe lighter for better results. Finally, enjoy the pipe. This kind of thing happens to most of us and is part of the learning curve.

Reactions: ofafeather

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Most pipes aren't finished to a gloss finish. Shellac would last longer, as it won't rub away easily with heat or water applied. Heat doesn't "cloud" carnauba wax, it just melts and gets shiny. And the coating of wax is thinner than a human hair, so it easily get rubbed away during the course of handling and smoking.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
What kind of lighter are you using? If it is a torch or cigar lighter it is likely much too hot and the result is often rim scorching. Try matches or a soft flame pipe lighter for better results. Finally, enjoy the pipe. This kind of thing happens to most of us and is part of the learning curve.
That rim is not scorched, just had the wax wiped off of it.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I use a corona old boy. I am careful enough not to damage the pipe.
Cool. To me, that damage seems unusual for such a short time. You’re using a soft, directional flame. From the look of the bowl you didn’t even have the tobacco high in bowl where there would be overspill and heat applied beyond what radiates as you’re smoking. I routinely pack my pipes to the top and that doesn’t happen. I get some discoloration over time and the heaviest spot is the back of the bowl. My guess is the shape of the rim has something to do with the heat level it’s getting. The vendor might give you some satisfaction but my guess is not. I would probably pick up some wax and give it an occasional buff by hand. I hate that feeling that something’s not right. though.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
A coat of wax will help to protect the surface of the briar from dirt and grime that accumulates during smoking.
?This plus keep in mind that outside of the bowl, the rim sees the most exposure. There will be build up, discoloration, etc, with use. Charring is different. That is true burning and damage to the wood which is not that easy to do with a soft flame.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Cool. To me, that damage seems unusual for such a short time. You’re using a soft, directional flame. From the look of the bowl you didn’t even have the tobacco high in bowl where there would be overspill and heat applied beyond what radiates as you’re smoking. I routinely pack my pipes to the top and that doesn’t happen. I get some discoloration over time and the heaviest spot is the back of the bowl. My guess is the shape of the rim has something to do with the heat level it’s getting. The vendor might give you some satisfaction but my guess is not. I would probably pick up some wax and give it an occasional buff by hand. I hate that feeling that something’s not right. though.
Exactly my feeling. Why did it get to this state so rapidly? Does the wax come off so easy? I didnt pack the first bowls to the top. Usually only halfway on newer pipes. I guess the discoloring is more prone to be visible because the pipe itself has a dark gloss? If you have seen the Night series of savinelli, it is a very dark, glossy sort of finish. It is beautiful but I guess the it ends to be more prone to wax discoloring...

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
It's not damage, it's use.
I think that’s subjective and depends on the “use” and only the OP can really say if the condition is reasonable based on the use. Maybe “wear” is a better word than “damage”. That wear seems excessive to me unless there was some form of abuse. I can tell you that I don’t have a single pipe that looks like that after 2 smokes.