PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Hear, hear! I concur.

@PiperCalvinist, yes, some pipes I find taste great from bowl one and some need ”breaking in.” I don’t know why that is.

I remember a guest on the radio show saying that for the first five bowls you just put up with it.
Right, that’s what I’ve experienced. I’ve got some pipes that I could taste no matter what I smoked in them the first 4-5 times, and other pipes that smoked great from day one (typically my cobs). It took 7-8 smokes, in a couple of my briars, before reaching the no taste zone.

Reactions: gord

bpinkstaff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
I don't like accidentally tipping the stem down on my Peterson System Spigot and having the accumulated moisture hit my mouth.

I don't like gurgling, though it happens infrequently for me now.

I don't like lighting a pipe in the wind. By any means. It's just annoying.

I don't like having to stop midway due to some external interruption (like work).

I don't like that many talk of unicorn blends with such reverence (Penzance anyone?) and they aren't available to me to try.

I really don't like that brick-and-mortar pipe stores are a dying breed. It is incredibly hard for me to see and touch new pipes or just browse new blends in person. End up having to do as much research as I can online and then throw a dart.

And all of that having been said, I *love* smoking my pipes.
Yes to all of this agree all drives me nuts!

Reactions: gord and Manawydan

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Bits of tobacco everywhere! And used pipe cleaners stink
I load into a neat little suchi dish I picked up in the market which dumps easily back into the source jar, and usually throw my pipe cleaners out into the garbage immediately after cleaning. I've seriously found out that one should be organized, at least to a degree when puffin', because things can quickly get out of hand. :)

slewthy

Lurker
Apr 16, 2024
Shropshire, UK
Having to hide.
I've had a bad day today. My chest feels tight and I'm super stressed. I'd love a smoke to try and unwind myself but it ain't gonna happen with a full house.
Hoping that unloading here might help...

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I was going to reply that there is literally nothing I dislike about smoking a pipe, there really isn't. Even the quirks I don't really mind, it's all good. Usually when I go to bed I'm excited to wake up and start another day of smoking my pipes!

But in reading through the comments I will have to agree with those who dislike the negative politics surrounding tobacco these days. I do miss the days when I could get at least some pipe tobacco locally (and without ridiculous punitive taxes stacked on) just going to the store to buy what I needed when I needed it. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate our online vendors but it would be nice to do the brick and morter experience again. Go in and look at the pipes in person, look at the tins, read labels, talk to the clerk etc. I do miss that.

• Love
Reactions: gord

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I was going to reply that there is literally nothing I dislike about smoking a pipe, there really isn't. Even the quirks I don't really mind, it's all good. Usually when I go to bed I'm excited to wake up and start another day of smoking my pipes!

But in reading through the comments I will have to agree with those who dislike the negative politics surrounding tobacco these days. I do miss the days when I could get at least some pipe tobacco locally (and without ridiculous punitive taxes stacked on) just going to the store to buy what I needed when I needed it. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate our online vendors but it would be nice to do the brick and morter experience again. Go in and look at the pipes in person, look at the tins, read labels, talk to the clerk etc. I do miss that.
I see you live in Vancouver. I live in Prince George. Yah, it's a ridiculous situation for sure in BC. My sympathies.