PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
Very little, maybe a bad bowl if I’m stressed and puff too hard. Canadian taxes, got hit with 78$ on one tin of 1792 flake and disputing the charge with customs which takes a month to do…. But it’s not like I don’t have other stuff to puff now.

gord

Can't Leave
Very little, maybe a bad bowl if I’m stressed and puff too hard. Canadian taxes, got hit with 78$ on one tin of 1792 flake and disputing the charge with customs which takes a month to do…. But it’s not like I don’t have other stuff to puff now.
I got hit with $350 in duty on 4 tins of C&L. In addition to shipping and the original price of the order. Came out to about $100 less than if I had have bought it at the PG store, which didn't carry 3 of those tins, anyways. So i lost but still won. Amazing, eh? Yup, in BC we have the highest tobacco tax in the world that I have been able to ascertain. Worst in Canada easily. If anyone knows of a higher tax anywhere, please enlighten me so I can send them a sympathy card :ROFLMAO: Fortunately, I am, like you, well stocked now, so probably have enough to last me and my buddies 'till I croak.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
There really isn’t much to dislike for me. I only smoke a handful of blends and a handful of pipes so I have pretty much know what I’m getting into when I light up.

Sometimes I wish it was still legal to smoke indoors in reasonable places like bars, restaurants, etc. But that’s more related to smoking in general, not necessarily to pipes specifically.

Reactions: K.E. Powell

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Yup, in BC we have the highest tobacco tax in the world that I have been able to ascertain. Worst in Canada easily. If anyone knows of a higher tax anywhere, please enlighten me so I can send them a sympathy card
Sad to hear :cry:
But, nope !
You have a waaaaay to go before house catch up with Oz, where a 50gm/2oz tin or pouch is over AUD$150
The nanny state has legislated an annual increase in tobacco excise, so it will get progressively be more expensive each year.

gord

Can't Leave
But, nope !
You have a waaaaay to go before house catch up with Oz, where a 50gm/2oz tin or pouch is over AUD$150
The nanny state has legislated an annual increase in tobacco excise, so it will get progressively be more expensive each year.
Yah . . . I stand corrected. But we're not that far off. Your dollar is worth a little more than ours, and a pouch of 50gm (2oz) is ranges from say, Capt Black at $86 bucks taxes included, to premium stuff at an average of $110 bucks taxes in. It's about 10% higher in Prince George (North) where I live and there's only a very limited selection. If I order from Vancouver, I pay also shipping, which averages about $20 - 30. Looks like we're competing for the booby prize and at this time, you're winning.

I've kept abreast of the political situation Down Under, and I don't envy your plight. I won't comment on either country's leaders. They don't need any encouragement.

Best wishes, mate.

• Love
Reactions: OzPiper

jackattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Austin, TX
But, nope !
Well I WAS going to say the price of trying new things...but I'll just shut the hell up.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper and gord

gord

Can't Leave
I got hit with $350 in duty on 4 tins of C&L. In addition to shipping and the original price of the order. Came out to about $100 less than if I had have bought it at the PG store, which didn't carry 3 of those tins, anyways. So i lost but still won. Amazing, eh? Yup, in BC we have the highest tobacco tax in the world that I have been able to ascertain. Worst in Canada easily. If anyone knows of a higher tax anywhere, please enlighten me so I can send them a sympathy card :ROFLMAO: Fortunately, I am, like you, well stocked now, so probably have enough to last me and my buddies 'till I croak.
Have to correct this and I'm too late so I'll reply to my own reply. The total ORDER came to $340, including the duty I was hit with. That figure is not the additional PST and GST taxes, which I was also hit with, so add about 12%. So, figuring just shy of $400 for an order that would have cost me about $510 from Vancouver, which also includes the shipping. So even after getting hit, I still save money. Bizarre.

Again, I'm lucky in that i have a decent store of tobacco. Can't afford to place another order until September, and still have 3 coming. Hoping they'll run the gauntlet, but when you play this game, you count on having to pay duty in your order. I budgeted for this and play the game above board.

That'll be it for tobacco and pipes for a while because I've got a major car repair that has to be done so I can do the summer thing. However, we all like to play poker, eh?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Smoking a pipe is as involuntary for me as breathing, can't think of any negatives. The extra attention needed for cigarettes and cigars just isn't there and I can focus on doing other things.

Reactions: gord and warren