PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Only thing I don't like is when I have to clean them, and any of the "ritual" so many seem enamored with, like loading, cleaning, drying, etc. The only part I enjoy is the smoking itself (and flavor).

I mean, I run a pipe cleaner through after a smoke and I wipe the bowl with a paper towel, but eventually the shank needs more attention than just that. Or if it's a pipe made for a filter, the cavity where the filter goes needs cleaning/drying after EVERY smoke, even if you use one of those adapters.

But that's all a minor inconvenience, it takes 5 minutes at most to set up. Less if I kept jars out and just scooped and went instead of having them all in a cabinet. Then maybe 15 minutes every 2-3 months for deeper cleaning (shank) of my main pipe. It's still mildly annoying.

Reactions: gord

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
All those previously mentioned by other users + the taste of tobacco.
I have tried many but none that even compare to a good cigar.

• Love
Reactions: gord

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I can only think of 2 things that I don't like. And it's not even an active dislike, just not likes.

First, there are too many places I can't smoke. That's not pipe smoking specific, that's all smoking. But it's still too many places.

No standardization in terms. What exactly is a Balkan blend? Navy flake? At what point is it an aromatic? I've seen the inclusion of latakia enough to call any blend an English, I've seen discussions getting into the minutiae of what to call a latakia forward blend with burley and cavendish. AmeriScott English?

These are about the only nits that I can find to pick.

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
My order was 78
Have to correct this and I'm too late so I'll reply to my own reply. The total ORDER came to $340, including the duty I was hit with. That figure is not the additional PST and GST taxes, which I was also hit with, so add about 12%. So, figuring just shy of $400 for an order that would have cost me about $510 from Vancouver, which also includes the shipping. So even after getting hit, I still save money. Bizarre.

Again, I'm lucky in that i have a decent store of tobacco. Can't afford to place another order until September, and still have 3 coming. Hoping they'll run the gauntlet, but when you play this game, you count on having to pay duty in your order. I budgeted for this and play the game above board.

That'll be it for tobacco and pipes for a while because I've got a major car repair that has to be done so I can do the summer thing. However, we all like to play poker, eh?

My order was 78$ for taxes and duty, PLUS 30$ for the tobacco, so 110$ Canadian all in, similar to you. You can order a reassessment though at the post, and they will usually knock off 2/3 of that fee sent back to customs, which is great.

Also, we can get pouches and tins here for 40-50$ all in, but I like the tin art and better selection down south, not bland brown Canadian communist tins.

Reactions: minerLuke

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I can smoke inside anytime I want so wind doesn't enter the equation. Probably the only thing that would get me riled wound be every once in a while, I pack my pipe a little too tight.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

gord

Can't Leave
#1 Inability to do a very quick smoke (a la cigarette) puffy puffy puffy
#2 Lack of other pipe smokers
#1 Inability to do a very quick smoke (a la cigarette) puffy puffy puffy
#2 Lack of other pipe smokers
I bought a set of McQueen miniatures, that are very good smokers. I'll post a picture of them when I get off my lazy butt. They hold about 1/4 the amount of tobacco as my Savinelli or Peterson, but if I load them correctly, I can get an easy 25 minutes out of them. if I just do a half bowl, I can get a quick 10 - 12 minute smoke out of them. They are not tiny, and come in both churchwarden (stems up to 12") and standard stems of 6". I find them the answer for my morning smokes which I don't want to last any longer than 15 minutes or so. I'll post a shot of these asap in the show us your pipes forum.

As for #2, I'd be grateful :LOL: . . . . however, that being said, in the evening I have my long smoke and am often joined by Mike, my pipe buddy. Always enjoy that time. He's pretty much deaf and doesn't talk much, so I enjoy that, too.

gord

Can't Leave
All those previously mentioned by other users + the taste of tobacco.
I have tried many but none that even compare to a good cigar.
I love cigars, too. I have three or four a week, and savour them as much as any pipe. They are, however, expensive (even a pack of 8 colts is $27 bucks tax in, in Prince George BC, where I reside, and my other go-to's, Philly Blunts, are the same price for 5.) So they remain for me a regulated treat.

gord

Can't Leave
After over 50yrs of smoking a pipe there is nothing I hate, I have perfected it, I have a pick of over 100 pipes and know whatever tobacco's I like, I don't have to think about loading tobacco and how dry it is, it's perfection, funny enough, my favourite tobacco is Perfection. puffy
You've reached a level to which I most certainly aspire.

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
I don't like the nicotine.. and I know, I know... first and foremost smoking a pipe serves as a nicotine delivery device. My smoking has been tapering off from daily when I first started to now once every few days. I expect that in the coming months it will continue to taper off until I put them away.