What Has Happened to Samuel Gawith Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Is there a better descriptor for how close you have to keep tabs on a tobacco blender's infrequent drops in order to buy anything before it is out of stock for months on end?
Probably not, I’m not big on the lingo though.
Bracken was the only one that held your interest?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You're welcome! Out of interest, whose rendition do you prefer if you're not keen on jimmie Rodgers? I don't know if Nile Rodgers did a version of it or not. Be great if he did. Lol
Well, here's Percy Grainger's rendition:

The problem with all of the sung versions is that they remove the syncopation, the playful skip, that Grainger wrote. Mouskouri ain't half bad:

Of course, it can always get worse...

These folks get closer to the meter..but that about it:

Maybe Rupert?

Of course, if you just skip the words:

Nana Mouskouri: An English country garden - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU4aDYa48-kkouri

And lastly, if you believe that American TV is the lowest there is...

Nana Mouskouri: An English country garden - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU4aDYa48-kkouri

Ok, I give up.

For some reason, the clips can't be uploaded correctly...

• Love
Reactions: edger and simong

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
That sucks. I find 4 years is the sweet spot to start smoking there overly wet blends

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I am bidding on that one as am I trying to amass a full year of all the 1792 production years!

I was about to bid on the Grousemoor one they just had up, I really love Grousemoor, the tin I have is like 2020-2021, I’d love to find an older vintage to try.

I just sold a tin, of 1792, sorry I didn’t know you were stocking up.

Tinbids is certainly having quite a variety showing up.

Reactions: ofafeather

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
@Chasing Embers : I thought so too. I also thought they were the same facility. I had heard that some of the workers had retired or headed off to new gig due to changes in management. This was third hand tap room gossip so YMMV.
Gawith Hoggarth purchased Samuel Gawith in 2015 (brands and business, not property). At that time several of the staff and some of the equipment moved to the Gawith Hoggarth factory. We still have the same staff (lads that came from Samuel Gawith) and same machinery. Bob Gregory retired back in 2018 (?).

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
Gawith Hoggarth is a member on this forum, and a few others.

To wit, Samuel Gawith doesn’t have a member account, and doesn’t discuss their business here, or on other forums. They (GH & SG) are operated as separate entities and share the same building.

This has been discussed ad nauseum here and on other forums.

As far as availability, GH ships what is ordered by Laudisi. SG is still distributed by Kretek as far as I know.

GH has stated that the production remains as it always was.

Alas, the conspiracy theories still pop up every few months here and on other forums. I think GH is tired of responding to the myriad conspiracy theories.

Myself, I have a sufficient backlog of older GH and SG blends. I have stuff as recent as 2019-2020, which is stashed in my cellar and I don’t expect to get around to it until 2034. If I’m not totally in the throes of Alzheimer’s, I may or may not remember if it was as good as the older stuff I have…
Samuel Gawith is a brand of Gawith Hoggarth, not a separate entity. It is part of the Gawith Hoggarth business. Laudisi are our distributors for both GH and SH blends.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@gawithhoggarth : You smoke a pipe don't you Mr G&H? If so I would be delighted to send you several different years of Ennerdale to try out and see if you can detect the difference. Maybe those of us living stateside have gone a bit crazy. I have been smoking your blends since mid 1985 and it just seems the Lakelands has become a little on the 'thin' side.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
@gawithhoggarth : You smoke a pipe don't you Mr G&H? If so I would be delighted to send you several different years of Ennerdale to try out and see if you can detect the difference. Maybe those of us living stateside have gone a bit crazy. I have been smoking your blends since mid 1985 and it just seems the Lakelands has become a little on the 'thin' side.
No I don't. And its Miss G :) And I did not state there was no difference over the years. Of course with different batches of leaf going into blends, blends being done by hand etc there will always be variation. And again over years other things will change from what flavourings are available and from where, what can and cannot be used due to regulations etc.....I think most products made today that were also made 30+ years ago will show some variation in components, ingredients etc.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
When can or should we expect to see more of your products available here in the states? Its been quite some time and slim pickins!
No I don't. And its Miss G :) And I did not state there was no difference over the years. Of course with different batches of leaf going into blends, blends being done by hand etc there will always be variation. And again over years other things will change from what flavourings are available and from where, what can and cannot be used due to regulations etc.....I think most products made today that were also made 30+ years ago will show some variation in components, ingredients etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.