What Has Happened to Samuel Gawith Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am not sure if it is me but has anyone noticed the change in the Sam Gawith current output. The Ennerdale seems to be a pale shadow of itself. The Broken Flake 7 seems to be well, broken. The older batches I have seem to have an abundance of Lakeland sauce whilst the current crop just seems to be a little on the light side, almost as if we are suffering from Lakeland sauce shrinkflation. The twist and ropes seem to be the same since they seem to be impossible to mess up and with the exception of Black XXX seem to be uniformly unchanged. The unscented plugs seems to be alright and Bosun's Plug seems to be unchanged and so far seems to have escaped the Lakeland 'shrinkflation' that has effected all the other rose geranium scented tobaccos. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
SG has an account here and occasionally drops by. "Straight from the horse's mouth" info is as good as it gets.

Is there's any way to ring their phone (so to speak)?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I am not sure if it is me but has anyone noticed the change in the Sam Gawith current output. The Ennerdale seems to be a pale shadow of itself. The Broken Flake 7 seems to be well, broken. The older batches I have seem to have an abundance of Lakeland sauce whilst the current crop just seems to be a little on the light side, almost as if we are suffering from Lakeland sauce shrinkflation. The twist and ropes seem to be the same since they seem to be impossible to mess up and with the exception of Black XXX seem to be uniformly unchanged. The unscented plugs seems to be alright and Bosun's Plug seems to be unchanged and so far seems to have escaped the Lakeland 'shrinkflation' that has effected all the other rose geranium scented tobaccos. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
Ennerdale, Broken Flake No. 7, Bosun are all GHs so the SG versions would necessarily have tasted different. 😎

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I am a fan of the SG English blends (Squadron Leader and Skiff Mixture) but all my tins are at least 7 years old so I can't speak to what fresh tins are like today.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Gawith Hoggarth is a member on this forum, and a few others.

To wit, Samuel Gawith doesn’t have a member account, and doesn’t discuss their business here, or on other forums. They (GH & SG) are operated as separate entities and share the same building.

This has been discussed ad nauseum here and on other forums.

As far as availability, GH ships what is ordered by Laudisi. SG is still distributed by Kretek as far as I know.

GH has stated that the production remains as it always was.

Alas, the conspiracy theories still pop up every few months here and on other forums. I think GH is tired of responding to the myriad conspiracy theories.

Myself, I have a sufficient backlog of older GH and SG blends. I have stuff as recent as 2019-2020, which is stashed in my cellar and I don’t expect to get around to it until 2034. If I’m not totally in the throes of Alzheimer’s, I may or may not remember if it was as good as the older stuff I have…

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Yes, they have repeatedly stated that there has been no change in the sauce l bell but many of us have repeatedly noticed that new versions are barely flavored. That said, they are still great blends but not the same.

Reactions: twoonefive

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would really like all the folks who are disappointed with the current stuff to quit buying it.
Already have here, it's not Lakeland anymore. It would be like everybody's favorite English blends being replaced with no latakia and still being called the same blend. What's funny is that 3-4 years ago smokers wouldn't admit they smoked Lakelands and the bags, boxes, and tins remained online for months. Glad I stocked up then, especially on Rich Dark Honeydew.

VDL_Piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Already have here, it's not Lakeland anymore. It would be like everybody's favorite English blends being replaced with no latakia and still being called the same blend. What's funny is that 3-4 years ago smokers wouldn't admit they smoked Lakelands and the bags, boxes, and tins remained online for months. Glad I stocked up then, especially on Rich Dark Honeydew.
I guess there is a reason they have been able to stay in business for a couple of hundred years or so. I’m glad we have never had trouble sourcing these blends in Oz and I’ve been lucky enough to cellar deep.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I guess there is a reason they have been able to stay in business for a couple of hundred years or so. I’m glad we have never had trouble sourcing these blends in Oz and I’ve been lucky enough to cellar deep.
They were amazing for the longest time but who knows what they've been thinking for the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.